Lower expectations on Ferrari’s but it’s ok, why? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Lower expectations on Ferrari’s but it’s ok, why?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Circle K, Mar 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Glad you said this. Agree with all especially the ball joints which should last forever. The sticky parts are criminal. The cost in general for parts is unjustified. Yet these are the best cars ever assembled in so many ways.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A lot of expensive cars used the same stick parts but never mention or criticism them.

As for the ball joints, it is completely ignoring why they are used. If you are incapable of appreciating it a Buick is a better choice.

paulchua likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Doesn’t change @Rifledriver point.

If it bugs you that much, there’s always Porsche.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Switch gear, its quality and cost was what prevented the industry from changing to 36 or 48 volts a number of years ago.

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I’ve seen some older Bimmers with same sticky, I have to a say though , I never saw any cars in the 2000s have the same sticky buttons. I don’t know how you can do this for 25+ years. Seems like it should have been an easy decision to just to not coat ‘em with that nasty stuff.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Has it cost them any warranty money? Has it caused a drop in sales?
    Customers of the new car department like it. They don't much care what the rest of us think.

paulchua likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    True that.

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Still laughing

JJ likes this.
  9. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I used to be on FChat a bit more when I had more time. Used to see the "I drove my Ferrari from Los Angeles to Houston without a hitch" thread and many congratulatory posts. Do that on a Lexus or Toyota or Honda Forum and people will give the same reaction as saying "water is wet" or "sky is blue". Of course you can drive your Lexus 1000 miles without a hitch, why are you telling us about it?

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And then there are those of us who do that regularly and think nothing of it so don't go on the internet and beat our chests.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    the point is that the reputation for reliability of a Ferrari is such that mentioning it isn't strange.
    Lexus is well known for its reliability that mentioning would be strange.

If I come out victorious against an NBA bench warmer, It'd be news (I'm a short slow arthritic old man who last touched a basketball 10-15 years ago).
    If Michael Jordan beats an NBA bench warmer, it'd be strange to publish it.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Aware of the benefits of that particular ball joint design. Its been debated a lot her over the years. 9k miles to insane replacement cost for a street car is beyond the pale. A little more weight and repackable instead of pressed and sealed would be a blessing. Its not a race car.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Then there are those like Malcolm who drive their Daytona coast to coast and enter it in a concours without cleaning the bugs off.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and i love that about malcolm !!

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sad to report. He is currently driving a different Italian car in the hill country as we speak.

16. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    malcolm and i were together on the giro di sicilia/targa florio - he drove his 275gtb

17. ChrisAM

ChrisAM Rookie

Nov 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Mobley

I’m not making fun…I’m assuming you are talking about Hot Toys or Sideshow or similar. I’m embarrassed to say how much $ I’ve got invested in my basement on display. I could have another high end car or two…

anunakki likes this.
  18. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    .... or Lamborghini... wait Audi .... wait .... :eek:

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Among this group who is hardly representative of Ferrari owners. People should get out more.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Repackable? Is that some new technology I have not heard about?

Maybe a nice Japanese sporty car would have been a better choice. Ferrari has been all about this type of construction philosophy since to 40's but I guess you avoided thinking about that.

21. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I can relate to this. I walked away from the dealership world 22 yrs ago and have never once regretted doing that. I can still work on my own stuff in my own garage at my own pace, if I so choose. I feel sorry for those newbie techs coming into the rat race now, especially with GM putting oil pump drive BELTS inside of diesel engines that require removing the transmission to replace. :eek:

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

That cannot possibly be true. We all know Ferrari is the only one in the world that makes poor engineering decisions.

The problem is the cars are so loaded with gadgetry that is cheap there is no need to fix anything. Your job consists of determining the faulty component, getting your electric screwdriver and replacing it. I'd rather watch grass grow. The costs associated with doing it any other way are too high and the personnel available to them far less capable. All of the Ferrari service departments I worked in, in the old days the average educational level was higher than in the other end of the building. Everyone had some college, most had a degree and advanced degrees were not unusual. That just no longer exists. We had one guy who was a dropout from working on a nuke physics PhD at Cal., one guy with a law degree, etc. The industry no longer gets those people.

23. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I agree with your assessment in regards to the current crop of techs that are entering the force these days, but in their defense they are being asked to chase engineering and assembly errors for little to no compensation (flat rate) and try to make up for it by hustling in some brake jobs and other "customer-pay" work to bring up their average. All that and meager pay averages at the end of the year. I think there are just more lucrative job opportunities these days for technical minded people instead of them pursuing automotive related careers. And couple that with the transitioning over to electric vehicles and the move toward more "component replacement" in those vehicles it becomes a trade that doesn't require a whole bunch of skill, and I think the manufacturers have been diligently working for years to make it that way. It just makes them (the manufacturers) more profitable and gets the vehicles in and out of the service department faster. No matter where you look, every industry is looking for more ways to remove humans from the workforce and bring in automation. I am really glad that I'm in my fifties and not my twenties. Actually, I wish I was in my father's generation. Working on cars in the late 50's and 60's would have been a much more rewarding career!

tbakowsky and Texas Forever like this.
  24. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The one major factor I haven’t seen mentioned is the Driver. A major factor in the reliability of a car is how it is driven, that even goes for road testers for magazines (blogs). People simply drive these cars differently than they do a daily commuter. If a toyota/Lexus etc were driven with the same “Brio” that one drives a Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini etc. you would probably see different results.

25. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It’s not lower expectations, it’s a different type of engineering.

Some cars are built for durability and others are built for maximum pleasure per mile

if you’re comparing the reliability and maintenance costs of a Ferrari to a Toyota, you are missing the point to begin with

it’s no different than the guys who compare commercial to private airfare and primarily look at costs

you’ll never justify flying private or driving a Ferrari by looking at numbers or reliability. Some people will never understand why we spend 10x as much per mile and I’m glad because there’s not enough Ferraris to satisfy every Toyota driver

Viperjoe likes this.