Lowering my Pista | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Lowering my Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Jan 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Just so there is no confusion. There is a typo in setup 2. Camber is obviously negative. There is a minus missing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Vertix

Vertix Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Would these settings only be relevant to the lowered cars? How about for stock height?

Love the info by the way, really useful!

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #353 Il Co-Pilota, Mar 18, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    No. That info is perfectly suitable for standard ride height too. That said, I would probably run -1.5 degrees of front camber for setup 2. With the car at stock height with stock springs, it will roll out on the tyre a bit more in the corners. But still, the setup as written above will work really well. It also depends on the driving style.

You're most welcome:)

Vertix likes this.
  4. MrFloppi

MrFloppi Karting

Mar 15, 2014
    One question: running spacers from Capristo on Pista, SF90 with 11mm front and 17mm rear the wheels making clicking noises. Wheel bolt length is fine and wheels are tightened. Only notice this on Ferraris, the 812 had the same issues.

Anyone experienced the same?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

5. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA
    SoCal to az, RoadRonin and AD211 like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That clicking noise is normal. The 812, Pista, 488 etc. does it. It is the diff, not the wheels.

roma1280 likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Finally.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    View attachment 2284602

350MH83, mdrums and mikesufka like this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  9. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    It's a Ferrari, drama is included at no charge, LOL!

mdrums and SoCal to az like this.
  10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    they swapped out the springs and tried to lower the car by adjusting the shocks. The driver front shock would not turn as the threads were damaged. Could not lower anymore and so this is probably why the last guy just as is. Mentally I thought they lowered it but in hindsight, they did not.

So these guys got a new sleeve to allow the proper adjustment. Cost me an extra $1200 which sucks but car is feeling and driving much better.

mdrums likes this.
  12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Looks much better. Is it possible to raise the rear slightly to give it a little bit of rake?

SoCal to az and RoadRonin like this.
  13. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    Looks good. Was thinking the same thing about maintaining a bit of the factory rake.

SoCal to az likes this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah- gonna live with it for a week or so and then fine tune. It drives much better also. We did corner balancing also. I’ll post all the stats later. This is how the car is supposed to be.

RoadRonin likes this.
  15. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA
    F12london and REALZEUS like this.
  16. Looks awesome my friend.

SoCal to az likes this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Had a great drive yesterday and today. I can definitely feel the difference. The car feels more planted more stable. The last time they put new springs on I had a little bit of a placebo effect so I want to give it some time but all in all happy so far with the right height. It looks much much better and it drives much much better

AD211 likes this.
  18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Update: spent all afternoon out with friends- getting some good fun driving time. The car is for sure much more stable, more planted. I’m very happy with my decision to correct the stance and corner balance. The feeling is real.

RoadRonin likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I should have done 15 and 20. 11 and 17 is not enough.

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Some random thoughts regarding this whole adventure:

-The Novitec springs are legit. I wanted to make sure I got enough driving time in and after about 250 miles the last few days, the car is a million times better. It’s not my imagination or any type of placebo effect. Body roll is greatly diminished. The stance is spot on. I love it and I’ve not had difficulty navigating steep curbs- just need to do it slowly. The drive is just amazing. I always loved driving my 720 more than the Pista but now the car is on another level. I have confidence in the turns, it feels more planted and the drive is just so much better. We did lowering of the car which you can see in the pictures, and did corner balance to being the front rear ratio closer to 50/50. It was roughly 57/43 before.

- Ferrari should be embarrassed that this set up is not out of the factory. The ride height is embarrassing. The stock springs are a joke relative to what’s on there now. I can imagine those that think the F8 is “soft” will enjoy the car much more with a proper set up.

- get a reputable shop and verify the work. My driver front strut the threads were not allowing them to dial the height down. The last shop just lowered the rear but left the front as is. In my excitement I didn’t question the result but it always looked off. Now- it’s just awesome. The car looks soo much better. I get so happy when I walk by and look at it now vs being embarrassed when people would ask if my lift is up in the past.

- 11/15 mm spacers (which I got) is not enough. I’m gonna order some 20 mm spacers abs move the 15 to the front and put 20 on the back. As you can see there is still some space and I think it would look better with a slightly wider stance. Just imagine what this was before spacers. Wtf is wrong with you Ferrari????

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

- I have zero interest in any new modern ferrari currently but if was to get one- first thing I would do is springs and height adjustment.

21. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I had to get the thread part on one of my rear coilovers/shocks threads recut on my 2019 488GTB when I was having my Novitec springs Installed. The shocks adjustable collars were over tightened right from the factory. Ferrari dealer tried warranty but Ferrari declined and asked the dealer why the height was being adjusted? This story gets long but Ferrari doesn’t warranty suspension parts really.

Your Pista looks outstanding…. Not too low, just right…like it should of come from the factory. You should love the ride from the new Novitec springs too!

SoCal to az likes this.
  22. Here's a pretty good video detailing some of the Pista's alignment issues.

Ddushman likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yes. Saw this video. He had the same issue with the threads. And I can fully relate with getting the alignment fixed. Car is night and day. I’m just so upset why this is not the default factory setting.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The rubbing issue that you might encounter with the 15 mm spacers in the front, will not be at the top of the arches, it will be during turns on the rear of the liners. This is especially common on lowered cars, as the caster will move the wheel rearwards in the wheel well as the car gets lower. Also be aware of bump steer and darty handling. When you decrease the offset that much, you also move the centre of the wheel further away from the turning axis of the hub.

Give it a try and see how you like it, but there's always a trade-off. I recommended 11/15 because I think it is the best balance between looks and performance. Did not care for the darty handling, tramlining and understeer the 15/20 setup introduced. Just my opinion and why I did not recommend it. I ended up with 11 mm all around as it was the best performing setup. It even works better than no spacers, but 11/15 started to introduce understeer and everything above was a no-go. Just to put it into perspective here are some numbers.

On Paul Ricard I can run 1:18 all day, but with a 15/20 setup it is impossible to run below 1:20. The car gets easilly upset, can't stay composed over curbs when hitting an apex etc. understeer can't be dialed out without getting the car into "drift mode" and so on.

And one last thing. Installing 20 mm spacers WILL have an pact of the life of your bushes, bearings and balljoints.

Not trying to be a downer and your experience may be different, just don't be too surprised if it was not everything you'd hoped it would be after installing the 15/20 setup.

mdrums, RoadRonin and SoCal to az like this.