What petrol are you running? | FerrariChat

What petrol are you running?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by 695, Mar 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Had a little discussion this evening over a nice dinner with a few buddies - the price of petrol and a daily driven thirsty Ferrari V8. The majority of us are sticking to E5 100 octane, but one has been running E10 95 octane for the entire winter.

We all agree that E5 100 octane is the best for the car, but the discussion was more about if the E10 95 octane is really that bad for the a California or similar Ferrari V8?

What do you guys think and what are you running? As I understand it, it can be hard to find anything but E10 no matter the octane in the US, correct?

2. MacNugget

MacNugget Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2007
    Texas
    Before this thread goes off the rails... In Europe, the octane rating on the pump is simply the RON figure. America, by contrast, uses the average of the RON and the MON figures, called the AKI (anti-knock index) or PON (Pump Octane). Thus, 97 octane “super unleaded” in Britain is roughly equivalent to 91 octane premium in the United States.

Ethanol percentage in the US is both seasonal and regional.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Correct. There are gas stations that carry ethanol-free gasoline, but they are few and far between here in the US. At least in Texas.
    https://www.pure-gas.org

In my Cali, I run exclusively 93 octane (using the (RON+MON)/2 system we have here) Shell V Power. I am pretty sure it comes with 10% ethanol.
    No issues. To be honest, I once goofed and put half a tank of 88 octane in the Cali, before realizing I f***d up. Add half a tank of 93 as a chaser, and
    then drove it around to burn the tankful of gas (any excuse to drive the F-car! :D) . Nothing blew up, no CELs, no cease & desist letters from Ferrari SpA!

T

Thomas S. and 695 like this.
  4. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Here in California, we've been using up to E10 fuel for decades in all cars on the road. My 2016 California T has about 20k miles on it with 91 octane. Ethanol is not required in California but it is the most popular oxygenate for fuel for smog reduction purposes and California does require an oxygenate.

695 and tomc like this.
  5. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #5 MisterMaranello, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    Any modern car will adjust the ignition and timing based on the fuel sensor. Regular grade fuel won't damage the car, but the performance might deteriorate. If the car is stored for longer periods of time, premium grade fuel has proven to maintain its condition quite a lot better, so that's a no brainer.

As a rule of thumb I always fill the best grade available. I try to fill at branded stations such as Shell, Esso, BP etc. and not unknown names.

If only cruising around lesser quality fuel does the job for me. If the car is worked hard on a track day or similar situation, premium is a must for my personal peace of mind. Even though I have witnessed a Ferrari dealer running a 488 Challenge on regular pump fuel...

695 and tomc like this.