Maserati MC20 | Page 38 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    At our local Cars & Coffee hosted by the Ferrari Dealer today. It looked great in Black!

2. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    That looks great. Got to see one in flesh last week (white one). So impressive.

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  4. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    NO, but very young gal in ripped jeans drove up in it.

5. P.C. THIO

P.C. THIO Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Percy
    I do agree that the suspension an steering in the MC20 is really excellent. In my opinion much better than most modern Ferrari’s, but totally different.
    The minimalistic interior suits me very well and you will get used to it very soon, but I really love is the colour Bianco Audace.
    You have to see it in the sunlight to believe it!!

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Prettiest car on sale today I reckon.

boralogist, niklas and Nembo1777 like this.
  7. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    It’s certainly up there, for sure!

Bas likes this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Doug review. He's as annoying as usual but its a pretty honest review.

9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    its a typical DeMuro review, find something to trash, no matter how minor and he’s usually wrong about it anyway.

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I can't figure out why so many watch his videos. To me he's inherently unappealing. Am I wrong? It looks to me like this car is getting great reviews so I don't need Dougie boy's opinions to make my decision. Pass. My heart still belongs to the never launched Alfieri though ... If this sells really well along with the rest of their model upgrades then perhaps they could make both?

Bas and pearsonhaus like this.
  11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I think he's a nice guy but not as in depth as I would like. He tells you how the windows go up and down but not much about grip, understeer/oversteer, power bands, etc. I think Chris Harris is the best around at the moment. Smoking Tire guy is ok too.

12. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Try this (english subtitles):

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  14. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I like how doug points out all the oddities but that's about it

I don't think he's a particularly good driver

Bas likes this.
  15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    FIFY.

But then I can't stand Jeremy Clarkson either. At least he can drive though.

16. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    C and driver comparo w 992tts lightweight. Not good. Maser weight just under 3800 lbs! Over 200 lbs more porsche. P launch control much better so forget acceleration times. They like maser style but p easily won every category. Does porsche ever lose comparison tests any more? So to be expected but how can 2 seat cf 6 cyl weigh 3800??! Thats real worry

17. Tsachi458

Tsachi458 Karting

Dec 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tsachi man
    The Porsche is four on four. If you do not use the lanch control, the acceleration is very similar and it is known that the Porsche Turbo is very fast… then it just shows that the Maserati is very fast and no one on the track or driving uses the launch control…

18. Tsachi458

Tsachi458 Karting

Dec 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tsachi man
  19. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Look.
    We are still judging a sophisticated road-going GT car by the standard robotic performance metrics and declaring a loser by fractions of a second; exactly as the Bora 'lost' against the Testarossa/Countach et al. fifty years ago.

There appears to be a single option to get rid of this curse once and for all.

ALL new Maserati models have to, in addition to their many other virtues, always produce at least one hundred bhp+ more than their 'competition'.

Like it or not that will require some form of electrification.

All of a sudden, through this lens, the 296 actually makes perfect sense.

Ridiculous yet simple and logical ;)

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    When has C&D ever liked any Maserati?

I have an acquaintance who used to be an editor/writer there. He went through the whole R&T C&D merger. I dropped both magazines years ago. Sometimes they still send me copies which I never read. So I can't really comment on what they're like now. But in my almost 40 years of Maserati ownership all they've ever done is crap on Maseratis. They give BJs to Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini and that's no those marques fault as they make some very fines cars yet even when Maserati had the same transmission during the early 2000s it was a piece of crap yet it was declared marvelous and innovation of the F cars. In truth it was a piece of crap but people tolerated it better on the F cars. I agree with Boralogist about how Maserati was treated for it's GT cars during the late 60's to late 70's at a time when all exotic car manufacturers were suffering not just Maserati. It's also something of a miracle that Maserati is still around but it's a truly gigantic miracle that Lamborghini has. When I went shopping for a mid engined exotic I almost bought a Miura. It was at the same shop that serviced my GTV 6. I already had an 84 Biturbo and I just loved that car, still do, still have it. The 82 GTV 6 eventually had to go eventually to make room for what I was shopping for. It was in terrific cosmetic shape but I had the typical 1st & 2nd gear synchro failure and I knew just repair them wasn't going to fix the issue long term so I soured on the car. I'd already gone through a Lancia Beta Coupe that had drivetrain issues on the hills of SF, clunk clunk, clunk. They couldn't find the issue.
    So the vagaries of Italian car reliability and construction quality were well known to me. The diver's door panel pulled off of the door as I took delivery of the car at Martin Swig's dealership on South Vaness. LOL! I fixed it myself . I loved the style and comfort of that little coupe. I traded it in on the new 280ZX.

Well my Alfa mechanic in SF knew the Miura pretty well and the one he showed me had a full onboard fire system ... in a street car! He explained why and the more I looked at that gorgeous car I knew I wasn't going to happy with it because of the build quality. They are fragile cars and no one was separating the oil sumps back then, oh perhaps Bob Wallace was I don't know? Very few were driving them all that much. I found out about Countaches later on. I'm even less impressed with their build quality at least until the final edition and by then they looked awful IMHO.

Returning to the theme about Maserati, the construction quality of Maserati GT cars was just so much higher that of it's competitors from Italy but they weren't full out performance sports cars so they had heavier frames, more sound insulation like the double pane rear window in a Bora and that Glass hatch OMFG! If they'd done Merak solution instead that would have dropped at least 150 lbs from the car. These however were as Boralogist points out, exciting GT cars not drag racers or track cars. Their suspensions and frames are very rugged. If you have a chance to see Ghibli vs a Daytona undergoing a rotisserie restoration you can spot the quality difference. The Ghibli & Indy held onto the live axle too long though. The Bora, Khamsin, Merak changed all of that just too late I guess?
    So even back then they never got their due

So I have to wonder if this weight issue is also what's going on with the MC20. Heavier cars do ride better and from what I've read this one also handles like hell as well.

Porsche eventually rescued Lamborghini the company if not the styling history and certainly more successfully than Chrysler and all the other predecessors did. Remember them? LOL
    The same is true for Chrysler, Fiat and Ferrari for Maserati as well.

My acquaintance from R&T left to work for Hagarty and I see him occasionally at the bigger concours. He's a fellow Espada fan/sufferer. He's had two of them!
    I wonder what he thinks of the MC20?

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Car & Driver should have been sued by Maserati's US importer in the seventies, several times over, totally unprofessional behavior, writing and a disrespect of the company and the cars which they damaged in at least one instance. Complete idiots.

boralogist likes this.
  22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Let’s just say that after the damage that was done to Khamsin #1226 by Car and Driver, they didn’t receive another car to road test for a number of years. I still have the records. Then in the late 80s while testing a 430 they destroyed the engine running it on Chrysler’s high speed oval by driving with low fuel in the tank. Fuel shifted to one side on the high speed banking, fuel pickup was on the opposite side. Result burnt pistons.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

OK but water under the bridge so to speak except that the perceptions seems to live on sometimes in the face of evidence to the contrary.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Not really relevant as it is an extremely parochial little rag concerned only with pleasing its Detroit advertisers. No one in Europe reads it, you certainly can't find it anywhere here. There are so many much better publications nowadays. They will probably go out of press the way of Autoweek for whom I wrote for a few years, useless management, no wonder they lost all their readership.

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes but over here it's been something of a fixture for many decades and the USA was a huge market for Maserati for many years. I guess now it's China?