For Sale - 360 Protection Film for Wheel Wells & Air Intakes $0 | FerrariChat

For Sale 360 Protection Film for Wheel Wells & Air Intakes $0

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by Techguru, Mar 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Techguru

Techguru Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    JW
    To All- My 360 needed new film protection strips for the wheel wells and air intakes as the old ones on my car were 20 years old and in horrible shape. I was very disappointed with the OEM film that I purchased. I purchased pieces from 3 separate, reputable Ferrari dealers/sites. I couldn’t buy from just one dealer because no one dealer had a complete set. What I received was milky/cloudy, yellowish - and in some instances - film that fell apart when separated from the backing. Only 2 of the 8 pieces I received were acceptable. It’s possible that some of the OEM film I received was 20-years old. I then researched options online. There is a reputable firm out of the UK with good instructions and a quality product but it took some time for the product to arrive, and the overall cost was rather high compared to the cost of bulk film on Amazon. Plus, there is a high overseas shipping charge. I began to ponder the cost of this over time in terms of applying a new set every few years. Given these options, I decided I did not want to deal with this hassle (not to mention the time I wasted on looking up and ordering these pieces). So, I decided to make my own. I started by purchasing 3M Scotchgard Pro Series VViViD Paint Protection Film and creating detailed measurement of all the OEM film pieces. See attached photos. This data was entered into Adobe Illustrator to make an AI file An SVG file was created to use with the cutter. The film was cut on a Cricut Explore Air 2 machine cutter. You just need to upload the SVG file and arrange the pieces however you’d like. The cost is very low to buy and cut the film. I made 3 complete sets with one 12” x 60” piece of stock film at a cost of $36 - or $12 per set. I’m not interested in selling the film or making a kit to sell. I don’t care about making a profit on this or trying to profit in the future from this. To be quite honest, I cannot believe something like this would be a large profit center for any person or business. I do understand it’s profitable if you sell these kits for hundreds of different vehicles. I was more interested in the process and eventually giving back to the community. So, the big picture questions are: 1) are there others interested in these files? Are there concerns with releasing these files to the forum or is there a better forum to post the files? Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
    Parts #s and typical price ranges on the web:
    LH Rear Adhesive Track Clearer, 1 Each, 65971800, (Rear Wheel Well), $21 to $30
    RH Rear Adhesive Track Clearer, 1 Each, 65971700; (Rear Wheel Well) $30 to $40
    Air Intake Adhesive Track Clearer, 2 Each, 66076100; $15 to $18 Each or $30 to $36 Total.
    LH Upper Adhesive Stone Chip Protection, 1 Each, 65971600 (Front Wheel Well) $30 to $45
    RH Upper Adhesive Stone Chip Protection, 1 Each, 65971500 (Front Wheel Well) $90
    LH Lower Adhesive Track Clearer, 1 Each, 66098200 (Front Wheel Well) $7 - $11
    RH Lower Adhesive Track Clearer, 1 Each, 66098300 (Front Wheel Well) $7 - $11

FYI: Online OEM pricing range for the entire 8-piece set: $215 to $263. Excludes Taxes, Custom Duties (if purchased overseas), and Shipping Fees. Real cost for a full 8-Piece set is closer to $300 to 380. A used Cricut machine cutter is about $90, and the film is about $36 and can make 3 sets.

Regards, JW.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Joseesq

Joseesq Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jose Mendoza
    Awesome. When you removed your old ones did it damage the paint? I’d like to buy a set too. Thanks

3. JonM

JonM Karting

Oct 31, 2017
    South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jon Maratos
    I didn’t even know these were a thing. Would definitely be interested in making some for my 360 to help protect some of the paintwork. My son has a cricut already which I’m sure he’d let me use. If you’re happy to share the files, I’d be very appreciative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Techguru

Techguru Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    JW
    I just used a Dewalt portable heat gun. But not too hot or the film will keep breaking into small pieces. It will break into small pieces if the film is really old anyways. But just a heat gun for about 3 to 5 seconds and start pulling it off slowly.

Joseesq likes this.
  5. Techguru

Techguru Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    JW
    I’ll post the files on Monday. I only had a couple replies as I figured so I know this is not a high priority for most owners. I’ll write up some basic instructions on applying the film also.

6. Techguru

Techguru Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    JW
    And no, it did not affect the paint.

Joseesq likes this.
  7. Techguru

Techguru Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    JW
    For some reason I cannot upload 2 of the 3 files. FerrariChat only allows me to upload PDFs. You you send me your e-mail address, I'll send you the files.

8. Techguru

Techguru Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    JW
    For some reason I cannot upload 2 of the 3 printer files. FerrariChat only allows me to upload PDFs. Anyone who wants the AI, SVG and PDF files, please send me your e-mail address. I'll send you the files. JW

9. Techguru

Techguru Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    JW
    Send me your e-mail and I'll e-mail the files. JW

10. JonM

JonM Karting

Oct 31, 2017
    South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jon Maratos
    Messaged you

11. bhobson

bhobson Rookie

Feb 28, 2022
    Memphis TN
    Full Name:
    Blake Hobson
    JW:
    Great work. Mine look bad as well. I would love to get the files but I am so new to the group I don't know how to direct message my email. Help!?

12. Techguru

Techguru Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    JW
    Just send me your e-mail address. I’m out of town for 3 days but I’ll see if the are on my iPad I’ll forward them. Cheers. JW.

13. bhobson

bhobson Rookie

Feb 28, 2022
    Memphis TN
    Full Name:
    Blake Hobson
    [email protected]