Redesigned Fuse Block | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Redesigned Fuse Block

Discussion in '308/328' started by TurtleFarmer, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bspellerin

bspellerin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2011
    Hermon, Maine
    Full Name:
    Brian Pellerin
    Just ordered a bunch, thanks for the links Jason.

2. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
  3. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Jon,
    I haven't used the CARAX fuses (or any of the other brand LED indication fuses).

However, I'm generally not a fan of this type of blade fuse. The concern with the LED indicator fuses is that they create a current path from the supply to the load side of the fuse. When the fuse is working properly (not blown), then no current passes thru the LED circuit. However, when the fuse blows, then current passes thru the LED circuit (and it lights up). My concerns with this scenario (in order of concern):
    - current passing into a potentially shorted or otherwise misbehaving load. it's a small current (~10-30mA) but it's still putting power into downstream devices.
    - components downstream are now powered thru the LED circuit (~15-45mW), even tho the fuse is blown. this could mask the fact that the fuse is blown
    - unknown fuse mfg quality of the LED circuit that is *always* powered could lead to additional failure point (heat, short, etc)

The fuse board design already has a way of indicating if fuses aren't working via LED (they light up when working instead of when not working). The difference is that you have to push the button on the board to "enable" the LED indication. This means that when you're not intentionally looking at the fuse status (i.e. pushing the button), the circuit is completely disconnected and cannot cause any downstream issues. Also, even when pushing the button, the circuit doesn't supply power to the load.

Ultimately, the risk is probably low (it's a small amount of current). But you've already got LED indicators on the fuse board and they are a much lower risk.

Last note: If you install the LED indication fuses, then the fuse board board LED will no longer properly operate:
    - Fuse NOT blown (LED fuse won't be lit): fuse board LED will light up when button is pushed - normal operation
    - Fuse IS blown (LED fuse will light up): fuse board LED will still light up when button is pushed. this is because the LED fuse is passing enough current to make the fuse board LED continue to light up. in other words, the fuse board LEDs will *always* light up (when button is pushed) if you use one of these LED indicator fuses.

Hope that helps,
    Jason

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Anyone have a vid/ pics to demonstrate the light up test feature of your board ?. My car is 5 foot up on the lift and covered for winter or I would post.

5. eurocarguy101

eurocarguy101 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2015
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jefferson Wheeler
    Emailed for 84 US QV!

TurtleFarmer likes this.
  6. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    Excellent, thanks for that info. Makes sense.

7. Jean66

Jean66 Rookie

May 29, 2014
    France
    Hello, possible to have one for my 308 GTB QV EURO 1985 ,
    regard

TurtleFarmer likes this.
  8. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Jean, my apologies...I got behind in my email. I've already responded via email but the answer is yes.

Thanks,
    Jason

Jean66 likes this.
  9. Jean66

Jean66 Rookie

May 29, 2014
    France
    Hi Jason, Ok I received the email, I will answer you, thank you. regard

10. vespaholic_com

Apr 22, 2009
    Radnor, PA
    Full Name:
    Tony
    @Brian Harper I saw a post from you on this thread about switching from the Birdman unit to the TurtleFarmer unit.
    I need to upgrade my 1982 308 GTSi.
    I have no current problems but reading all these threads leads me to believe that I should do the upgrade now rather than later.
    Aside from the TurtleFarmer unit having10000% better eye appeal, did you see enough of a difference between the two to warrant double the price?
    Any pros/cons to either?
    I've already prepared my fuse box, so I'd like to order one or the other.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

TurtleFarmer likes this.
  11. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    In my 81 GTSi I replaced my original fuse boxes with the Birdman panels and then to Turtle Farmers panel when he produced them .The Birdman panels work flawlessly for me, but Turtle Farmers fuse panel deletes the need for the spade connector double adapters and with the cover is just a far more elegant solution IMHO

newark_308, absostone and Tvjake2 like this.
  12. vespaholic_com

Apr 22, 2009
    Radnor, PA
    Full Name:
    Tony
    @rjlloyd Thanks for the reply.
    I was kind of thinking the same thing....more elegant.
    I just finished deinstalling TWO old alarm systems from my car, so clean and neat is my goal.

Attached Files:

TurtleFarmer, thorn and absostone like this.
  13. vespaholic_com

Apr 22, 2009
    Radnor, PA
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I pulled the trigger on the Turtle Farmers unit.
    I'll post a pic when I get it installed.
    Thanks for the advice.

TurtleFarmer and rjlloyd like this.
  14. Jean66

Jean66 Rookie

May 29, 2014
    France
    TurtleFarmer likes this.
  15. Jean66

Jean66 Rookie

May 29, 2014
    France
    I just installed in my QV, and I took advantage of controlling all the circuits, terminals, and relays. Extraordinary!, remarkable finish, solid, all my electrical installation is better, each component that we touch has regained its youth. Thank you !;):)
    A question, what does the green LEDs on mean when I press the reset?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    It will show you the fuse that is blown

Jean66 likes this.
  17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Green is good fuse. I live a few miles from Turtlefarmer. This is a great product. My only one complaint ... he used SAE fasteners and not metric.

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Mine fasteners worked np

19. Jean66

Jean66 Rookie

May 29, 2014
    France
    Mine is finished, everything works perfectly and it's beautiful, thank you again!, I have a friend who will surely order some for his GTS. Good road

Image Unavailable, Please Login

TurtleFarmer, judd10 and ragtop1 like this.
  20. WmacMI

WmacMI Rookie

Jul 7, 2021
    Jackson MI
    Full Name:
    T. Wayne MacGregor
    TurtleFarmer, ragtop1 and Jean66 like this.
  21. oscarlor

oscarlor Rookie

Mar 23, 2015
    SA
    Full Name:
    Oscar
    #246 oscarlor, May 28, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2022
    TF

can you email me [email protected]

Thank you Oscar

22. eurocarguy101

eurocarguy101 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2015
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jefferson Wheeler
    I installed mine yesterday and I was very impressed with how easy it was to do. Labeling took the longest and was the “hardest” part. I’m not sure if was mentioned here already and it’s kind of obvious once uoh think about it, but the circuit must be turned on for the fuse check to work, i.e., the low beam headlights must be turned on to activate the light on the fuse panel. It took me a couple minutes to figure that out. The response on social media were very welcoming to this upgrade and many are interested as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TurtleFarmer, newark_308 and ragtop1 like this.
  23. RedDreamsFr

RedDreamsFr Rookie

Jul 13, 2014
    France
    Full Name:
    Guy
    Hello TurtleFarmer,

I see the great job of my friend Jean66 !... :)
    I have also a 308 GTB QV EURO 1984 an I have a problem with my pump fuse Nb3... :mad:
    I send you an email !
    King regards !

TurtleFarmer likes this.
  24. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Hello Mr, Turtle Farmer...My name is Jacques..Would you be at all interested in making one of these masterpiece fuseboxes for my 1980 Series 1 400i...they are nearly identical to the early 308's with two additional fuses for a/c and automatic transmission..which could easily be added outside of your design...I can furnish you with any and all details and info and diagrams you require..and will be more than happy to pay you in advance to ease the expense for you. Thank you ever so much in advance for your time. Jq.

25. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Jacques, thanks so much for the inquiry. Unfortunately, at this time, I just don't have the bandwidth to put together a version for the 400i. There have definitely been other queries on this model but it'll just remain on my "project list" for now.
    Sorry!
    Jason