Corona fuel pump | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Corona fuel pump

Discussion in '206/246' started by GermanDino, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
    Sure, I agree and I will probably do just that but I would also like to explore the possibility of a good functioning BCD pump for the sake of originality.
    Sam

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The lower part of the pump with the vanes was available as a separate part. I may have a few NOS if you are interested.

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I do get that and totally understand your quest, been there and done that. I now tend to go for reliable components, especially critical components that can stop you dead in your tracks over 40+ year old parts or spares
    Best
    tony

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Brilliant observations Tony! Put on good ole USA or German stuff in and save the originals in a box,
    and forget getting stranded in the mid. of nowhere. Been there too ;)

Regards, Alberto

TonyL likes this.
  5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I have one that was professionally rebuilt within the last couple years and somehow it went horribly wrong and started making a howling noise. Thank you for all the photos and insights into this old pump!

What I learned from my other thread in the 308 section is a capacitor was added to the positive terminal going into the pump to extend the life of the brushes and the electric motor, as you can see on my restored GT4 there is a condenser mounted to the pump mounting bracket.

Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a round condenser on the fuel pump on my GTS. I thought it was there to prevent radio interference.

ProCoach likes this.
  7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    All,

Is that top being replaceable I just took apart mine which was rebuilt but I didn't open up the magnet part put all the pieces below that are very clean and there.
    Any tips on trying to bend the tabs? Thanks to all

Rob

8. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  9. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I ground a small chisel to a hawk bill shape to pry the tabs out but you my be able to use a small screwdriver. Bend them the minimum to get the cover off so they don't break. Hit the inner assembly with electronic contact cleaner and gently blow out with air. There is a bushing at both ends of the armature and I give them a drop of light oil and let it set for a while to absorb it. The motor brushes are usually OK but double check them. Reassemble and test with 12 volts. It is really a simple pump and probably just needs a little attention.

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Racerboy9,

Thank you! I'm sorry I did not respond earlier to your other post, electronics is not my strong suit, but a very smart friend of mine here at Fchat said in another thread that the capacitor not only reduces RF interference, but it has something to do with extending the life of the brushes in the motor armature. There is one on the alternators also.

I'll probably clean this pump up and put it a box with a few of the other parts I've taken of this European GT4. For the last year I've had a stumbling problem off idle and after spending hours messing with the carbs I think it was the pump failing that was causing it. It was making a noise so horrible it was twice as loud as the engine running, I'll post a video of it below. I try to keep my car is almost exclusively original but Ferrari even recommended this Facet pump as a replacement. I've had such good luck with the Facet in my other car I'm hoping this one will do the trick.

This little pump is amazing. I'm not sure I trust it with my fuel delivery, but it reminds me a lot of the pump in the Fiamm horn compressor!

Rob

Attached Files:

11. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Boy, that does sound pretty rough. They are actually fairly robust pumps. Lancia used them on all the road and racing Stratos. I don't think I ever had a problem with them but they are 40-50 years old so doing a little preemptive maintenance would be a good thing.

12. rnild

rnild Rookie

Apr 3, 2023
    Full Name:
    Brad Wellington

Beautiful job restoring the original BCD pump! We are currently restoring our pump on our 1974 Lancia Stratos. This information is very helpful. It would be an awesome addition to have one of those replica stickers added.. Any chance that file is still available to print?

13. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    send me a PM with your postal address