308 white plastic box electrical connectors? | FerrariChat

308 white plastic box electrical connectors?

Discussion in '308/328' started by robertgarven, Mar 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

Does anyone have a source for the white plastic electrical connections which are found all over the 308 and I assume any other Ferrari models from the 70s?

As always thanks In advance for any suggestions!

Rob

ProvaMo likes this.
  2. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    lm2504me likes this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Robert if you could post a pic of it or a sample, I might have some used one but I need to know exactly what you’re talking about.

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  5. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I do not replace the terminal (cut it off). I use small cutters to remove the plastic housing. Squeeze the terminal for tighter connection on the spade connector and insert in plastic housing.

6. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

Thanks for all the replies!

For two photos one from the fuel pump and one from the alternator. The alternator is the original harness so I know that one was the original style. I can't say they're all over but everywhere there is a connection you snap into each other they all look like this on my car. I'm looking for something simple that looks correct. The original fuel pump my 74 Euro GT4 it's making a horrible noise louder than the engine. I have a new Facet pump but looking for a correct looking connector that is safe and somewhat easy to install. I have the correct size shrink wrap spade connectors but not sure I want to put a heat gun or flame next to all the fuel...

Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ProvaMo likes this.
  7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    im pretty sure turtlefarmer mentioned those connectors!

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Robert so one wire is solid black and the other one is it solid white? The reason I ask is because I have a complete wiring harness where I usually get or cut some if I need to repair and match the wire color code. I can cut some for you to match the wire color with terminal if you need some. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

DTRUMBL likes this.
  9. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
  10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    All,

Thanks for all the responses. I only need one and may just use whatever I have. Here is another one I found today. I need to get this fuel pump swapped out. Mike if you find one like this I will pay you + shipping. It is just has black wires from the harness to the fuel pump. The pictures I posted are not the actual wires to the FP just white boxes exactly as is there. I am still working on my other car!

As smart as I think I am to be honest looking at those catalogs it's pretty confusing to me I know it's a single pin connector but none of those show or explain what matching connectors go inside them. That is weird to frame rails go together and there's a triangular section where this whole assembly tucks into so you really can't even see it unless you have the car apart. I just try to use the correct pieces if I can.

Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ProvaMo and miketuason like this.
  11. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    They use the standard 6.3mm crimp spade connectors. Buy the proper crimping tool and crimp them properly rather than soldering or bodging with a pair of pliers like so many people do!

12. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I have bought from them too - although I am in the UK so that helps.

13. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    @Jonny Law Thank you very much... exactly what I was looking for: A source selling single, dual and 6 place connectors... period correct for my 1979 GTS. Also, thanks to @robertgarven for getting the party started. My prior searches were unsuccessful, so I appreciate your post immensely. With the prices shown, I will get quite a few others (but I don't need 1000...) Here's a pic of the harness connector going from the left rear wheel well to the engine, one I'm planning to replace.

Jonny Law likes this.
  14. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    If you are looking for exactness the Ripca link from rifledriver looks to have connectors closer to the off-white opaque color of the original items to my eye.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I think the yellowing is mostly age.

16. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Thanks @Patrick Dixon, I believe you're correct, heat and age have their way with these connectors, morphing the original white to cream, yellow and beyond. The UK Auto Electric Supplies link posted by Jonny Law looks spot-on to my objectives... and I don't have to buy them in batches of 1000.

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  17. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    No problem. I have also used these connectors to add devices to look period correct, but that may just be my anal retentive nature kicking in.

moysiuan likes this.
  18. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    I remember when they were "The Toolbox Shop", or something like that. Glad I was able to find them after the name changed.

19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions,

I ordered 10 of the single connectors from AES and 10 each of the two different sizes of male and female attachments. Here's the measurements I took from the piece I took off my original OEM pump.
    I thought hey I have 100 mini tools I'll try to reuse that and after an hour of effort, I got the crabs open but not as cleanly as I wanted. I think it was soldered also, I didn't totally destroy it but glad to find replacements!!!

Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Patrick Dixon and miketuason like this.
  21. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I found for my purposes the AES was exactly like the parts in my car the Digikey ones were not.

Rob

Andrew McCrae likes this.
  22. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Here's a messy picture, intent is to show:
    1- Upper part of pic is the AES connectors, which seem to be a great match to OEM, and
    2- Lower part of pic are the 90 deg plastic spade connector covers (AMP 180984) from Digi-Key (for low oil pressure and temp sensors in the V by the carbs)
    Thanks AGAIN for this thread... it was one of my "missing links" to updating the wiring/connectors on my 1979 308 GTS.