Starter won't stop | FerrariChat

Starter won't stop

Discussion in '308/328' started by klatu, May 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. klatu

klatu Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Mckinney
    The other day I was fooling around in the engine compartment, and I must have wiggled a wire off of the coil. When I went to start her up, she wouldn't fire. I turned the key off, and the starter kept turning the engine over. I had to take off the battery cable to shut it off. When the engine fired up, all was good. Sounds like bendix is sticking, but why does the starter motor keep running.

Thanks guys

Rob

2. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    The gear which engages with the flywheel and the contacts which control the motor are both actuated by the solenoid. So binding here can cause the contacts to be held closed.

3. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

I seem to have a similar issue but it is intermittent.
    Sometimes the starter keeps running when I stop pushing the key to the right and most of the times it shuts off like it should.
    If it keeps running I simply try again with the key to the right and back and it stops.

Could this be the starter motor solenoid? Or can it also be something else?

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I had a similar issue a few years ago. There are two relays in the cockpit passenger side that both affect the starter. I had them reversed, and the starter motor would not turn off. If you have touched the relays, that could be it. If you haven't, it may still be a relay problem sticking.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  5. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Okay thanks. I didn't hink of that yet.
    I haven't touched the relays, but I can replace them to make sure they work.
    It is easier than the starter motor.

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    And that was after an hour under the dash looking at the ignition switch thinking it was the problem. Good luck. It scared the stuff out of me when it happened, and I ran to grab the battery cutoff switch.

Harry-SZ likes this.