DRS negates driver dominance | Page 4 | FerrariChat

DRS negates driver dominance

Discussion in 'F1' started by laswyguy, Mar 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep, once the driver is in the DRS zone.

2. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    DRS is THE fraud of F1.
    Drivers should never have accepted it. Do they really think these are proper and fair overtakes? What a joke.

500drvr, 20000rpm, tuttebenne and 2 others like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Beg you pardon, but is there any relation between my quote and your answer on it?

paulchua likes this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #80 paulchua, Apr 4, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    Back in the 50s and early 60s, overtaking and melee were much more common. Then aerodynamics. The only way to reasonably increase many more overtakes without being a torpedo is DRS, well that the reduction of wake - which is helping. Now my commentary is exactly the point of some detractors, which is not new in F1. (I realize my opinions may not be popular to some, see Halo, Grid Kids, Logos, charts, technology streaming.) But at least I stand by them. Folks of course are always free to disagree and fight against things like the Halo, and trade 4 minutes of eye candy to lower the appeal to 50 % of the population, things like that.

william likes this.
  6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I beg your pardon, safety comes behind having fun, and having the time to have fun.

Safety 3rd--is our motto

paulchua likes this.
  7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think the Latifi Car (Safety Car) negates driver dominance. It seems it has played a more significant role in the race outcome the last three races.

DF1 and paulchua like this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I won't lie, I get what you're saying
    :)

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Has Flavio been seen at Williams lol ?? :)

10. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Well, DRS has nothing to do with safety. It's about FIA trying to make us believe F1 is an exciting motorsport, with plenty of overtaking.
    Without DRS, even with the new 2022 aero/chassis regulations, there would be little to no overtaking at all.
    I call that fraud.

Overtaking should happen because of having:
    -more power than your opponent
    -more driving skills than your opponent
    -more guts than your opponent
    -less aero/grip for all

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Sure, I get what you're saying, but that was before the aero era. Tire degradation, loss of downforce, and even particular tracks make the proposition less frequent. Whether it is a gimmick or not (like KERS boost) the end result is more passing with less risk of collision. That that from that what you will.

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That's easy for you to say;)

paulchua likes this.
  13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm ok with DRS - its helpful, and its another tactic that can be used by the driver. F1 has not really ever been a sport where there is constant overtaking... there have been some wild races - yes, but usually, someone / Team emerges better than the others and they win. Alfa, Ferrari, Mercedes, Lotus, Brabham, Williams, McLaren etc... I don't recall any season where there was just constant battling in every race. 1966, 1976, 1979, and 1982 come to mind as some of the most competitive seasons I'm not sure that there have been that many more where there was constantly overtaking in every race... that to me is fraud - that people think there is this tight battle - or that it ever existed.

william likes this.
  14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #89 william, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    Many overtakings, together with constant wheel-to-wheel battles, and wheel bangings are public expectations nowadays.
    Most of the present F1 audience is post-Senna era, when it is relatively safe to play rough.
    They find it unexciting if the same wins too often, and if there is no drama on the track.
    I blame the video games that assume there is constant action in GP, and if it doesn't happend the racing is lame.
    Some GPs used to be won by a minute years ago, and Stewart won a German GP by 5 minutes!
    I suppose many spectators would call it boring and ask for their money back now.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It is all fraud.

F1 cars should weigh 600 Kg not almost 800 Kg {They are getting a porky as Indy cars}

Turbo-Hybrid is a fraud in that EV is the real answer
    Turbo-Hybrid is a fraud in that it produces no more power and adds crap-loads® of weight
    Turbo-Hybrid is a fraud in that it requires nearly 2× the airflow under the bodywork to cool

If you have a rule "No moving aerodynamics" and you add a rule "DRS" why not just cancel the first rule ?

Instead of various rules to keep the driver safe (Minimum Weights, Side impact, Halo, transmission, ...) why not just have a rule that if a driver is seriously injured the driver at fault looses all points accumulated so far that year.

If your car sheds parts and ruins some other cars race, you get DQed.
    Its all fraud....

20000rpm, Bas and Dino2010 like this.
  16. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Totally agreed!

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

Yep, I agree with you. If you have not been to a race - you dont really know the actual excitement... which I think is sad. F-1 is exciting in its self.. the best cars best drivers... but i do agree that in a modern race - you dont see them all that much, and cant get close to see them in detail. I think that is what is really wrong with F-1

william likes this.
  18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    They can play rough because they carry around so much unnecessary weight!
    Look at the suspension of a Senna car--light, airy, tiny, thin.
    Look at the suspension of a modern F1 car -- pork.

This is a misnomer.

The cars are so porky that they don't seem alive, not nimble, not quick.
    Therefore, the only thing people relate to is wheel banging--which is against the mantra of F1.

Dino2010 and Bas like this.