Is Lewis Hamilton the greatest of all time, why or why not? | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Is Lewis Hamilton the greatest of all time, why or why not?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Golden Steed, Feb 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Michael is the second most successful driver in F1 with 91 wins. You asked me what is great about Lewis (103 wins, the most successful driver in F1)... if he hasn’t won this year how can he be great? Well looking at the man with the second most wins in F1, Michael won no races in 4 of the last 5 years at the end of his careers, so does this make him any less great?

william likes this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Still you fail to ask the question that was asked. The reason Max's statistics don't reflect his talent is purely because he didn't have the car for 6 out of his 7 years in F1 to actually challenge for regular wins/titles. YOU bring statistics into the game you know can not match Lewis' statistics, because the car max had was nowhere near capable.

I bring your pretty stupid argument down with a comparably stupid one.

My point is, statistics don't tell the full story. If Mazepin comes back tomorrow with his own team, a car 3 seconds clear of the field and he wins the next 200 gp's in a row, does it make him the greatest driver in history?

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The championship was created to evaluate and grade drivers every year through stats, was it not?

That's the only objective way. No "if", no "but" .

Mazepin winning 200GPs would make him the most successful driver, like it or not.

4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Would it make him the best yes or no? Yes STATISTICALLY Mazepin would be the best. But would he actually be that?

Johnny_Bravo and Jakuzzi like this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There is no reward for "best". F1 rewards those who accumulate the most points every year, to crown them champions.

Points, podiums and wins are with titles the indicators of drivers' worth; the rest is just poppycocks to fuel pub discussions.

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Again, I ask the same question...with the above circumstances, will Mazepin be the best or not?

Johnny_Bravo and Jakuzzi like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I will not answer your question for the simple reason that I do not entertain subjective notions such as "best" or "greatest".

Mazepin winning 200GPs would make him the most successful.

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Then I genuinely wonder why you would even entertain commenting in a thread that's entirely based on the subjective notions whether one is a GOAT or not.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You may have noticed that I have constantly refuted the GOAT notion. That must be the cartesian in me. :)

I mostly comment on posts that dismiss the stats.

Like posts that say "Button scored more points and Hamilton" quoting a selected sample, or their favourite "103 wins means nothing if you have the best car". ;)

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

To be totally agnostic you can’t argue stats. They are more objective than any notion of being the best.
    Define the best, evaluate the best…it’s impossible, it’s gut feel, eye test, opportunities etc…
    So I get what Bas is trying to say but , even though Lewis had his share fare of chance , he is currently the most successful of all time and the best of his era overall.
    That sentiment doesn’t have to be shared by everyone of course but that’s as objective as one can be -stats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Short and to the point: "
    Is Lewis Hamilton the greatest of all time" NO. "Why or why not?" Because it is what I think. :) ;)

12. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    I thinks Louise is one of the cutest clowns in F1.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    jpalmito, Jeronimo GTO and 375+ like this.
  14. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    This thread is maddening. Most successful? Yes. Greatest driver of all time, clearly No. Moderator please close thread!

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

He has worn worse stuff to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakuzzi likes this.
  16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    MelbourneGP 2022

Entitlement??? Because I'm a 7x WDC I don't have to obey to a 2005 FIA rule??? The FIA rule is outdated and it should change because of the times???

Should other drivers protest by wearing their jewelry so Lewis can follow the rules??

Just abide by it Lewis, please. The FIA let it go this time. It could be an issue in the next race.

Hamilton explains jewellery plans after FIA warning

Lewis Hamilton has explained why he will not be removing his jewellery, despite a reminder from the FIA that body piercings and metal neck chains are prohibited.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lewis Hamilton says he will continue to wear jewellery, including piercings, at future F1 events, despite a reminder from the FIA that they are banned.

First introduced back in 2005, Appendix L (Chapter III, Article 5) of the FIA's International Sporting Code has long mentioned that wearing jewellery in the form of body piercings or metal neck chains is prohibited.

Ahead of the Australian Grand Prix, Race Director Niels Wittich reminded drivers of the rules by including a paragraph from the Sporting Code in his pre-weekend race notes.

But, despite the prompt, Hamilton was seen once again to be wearing jewellery in his ears and nose as he pulled on his helmet ahead of the race at Albert Park.

Hamilton: Drivers should be allowed to be who they are

Speaking after the event, Hamilton made clear that he intends to continue to sport his piercings, adding that drivers "should be able to be who they are".

"I don't have any plans of removing them," Hamilton told members of the media, including RacingNews365.com, when asked if he would still wear the jewellery.

"I feel they are personal things and you should be able to be who you are."

Gesturing to his ear, the Mercedes driver added: "There's stuff that I can't remove. I literally can't even take these out.

"These ones on my right ear, they're literally welded in so I would have to get [them] chopped off, or something like that. They'll be staying."

https://racingnews365.com/hamilton-explains-jewellery-plans-after-fia-warning

17. Mosin

Mosin Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Tom

He doesnt say that, nice how you missed MV and Leclairc both saying the same thing lewis did eg refusing to removing piecings, that was said during live interviews with all three of them, with max asking if lewis wants to see his again..

You LH haters are the worst bunch ever, such hypocrisy always....

18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The rules state otherwise fanboy.

stavura, Jakuzzi and Bas like this.
  19. Mosin

Mosin Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The rules say Max and Leclairc didnt say the same? What? LOL.

Lol, lol, lol sorry thats a good joke. Top one..

Ok.

Your putting words into some ones mouth who didnt speak such words then criticism them whilst not doing the same to the other divers on the grid that also wear piecings and have / did refuse to take them out... Only 2 drivers dont have body piecings...

Haters hate for nothing sensing more likely that racist people saying silly things to cover up the hatred inside...

20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I put question marks on my statements.

I posted an article. I'm just a messanger.

stavura, Jakuzzi and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  21. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    If you're going to make such accusations and generally inane assumptions about your fellow F-chatters at least you could do is take it to the P&R F1 section. Sheesh . . . !

Jakuzzi, Bas and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Do we know exactly the reason behind that rule? It seems a bit drastic to me.

23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Honestly William, I don't.

Lewis is NOT following the rule as a "freedom of one's own expression" and he stands by it.

IF the FIA changes it, I'm okay with the change.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  24. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I don't really see the big deal about piercings. I would think teams would refuse to allow drivers to wear chains or rings because of the weight. But the rules are the rules and they have been in place before Lewis even joined F1.

Lewis made the choice to get piercings which his governing body says he cannot wear during the races So either get ones that are easily removable, or don't get them at all.

It's like a company having a no drug policy, but choosing to still do drugs and then show up to work and expect no reprimand.

How about fighting for change with a conversation instead of just disobeying the rules?

375+, Nortonious, Jakuzzi and 2 others like this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That axiom is an open door to abuse, even tyranny/

Rules must exist for a reason, and must be able to be challenged too.

I cannot see why earings, body-piercing or jewelry are the FIA's business.