Road America Track Days in 2022 | FerrariChat

Road America Track Days in 2022

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by schao, Apr 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Road America is certainly a bucket list track, and they offer their own track days (presented by Kelly Moss road and race, but don't know what that means). For those looking to drive RA, this is another alternative to FCA/PCA/BMW and private for-profit enterprises. Here is link to their 2022 schedule and event details, which was just released. I have no affiliation, just a fan of RA.

2022 DATES ARE BELOW:
    April 22nd, 2022 Click Here to register
    May 23rd, 2022 Click Here to register
    June 22nd, 2022 Click Here to register
    July 4th, 2022 Click Here to register
    August 1st, 2022 Click Here to register
    September 22nd, 2022 Click Here to register

https://www.roadamerica.com/track-days

2. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Have you driven here?

3. Ellena

Ellena Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Chanhassen, Minnesota
    Full Name:
    J. Anderson
    One of the best tracked in the country (perhaps world) I encourage everyone to experience Road America

4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Prettiest track I've ever driven, and the town of Elkhart Lake is charming.

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It is a great track and I have driven it. Also very nice for spectators, best by far in the USA. If they had more hotels nearby it would also be a great F1 GP location.

6. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Yes, raced here last year for 1st time. Track offers high speed straights connected by pucker as well as technical corners, spectacular scenery, knowledgable spectators, well maintained facilities, delicious food (and ice cream) ... what else can I say? Oh, I regret not coming here years earlier, using the excuse that it is a long tow, but will be back annually now. Going off course could lead to serious damage (to car and possibly driver), so you have to drive with respect and not force what your car and track is telling you where the limit is regardless if you're racing or doing non-competitive driving. Hope this helps.

7. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the insight. I’ll be out in DFW in the next year, I want to drive my quadrifoglio there to start

8. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Are you thinking of Circuit of the Americas in Austin, as Road America is in Wisconsin?

9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I would love to drive RA, it is certainly a bucket list track. How much scarier than WGI can it be? Ironically it is about the same distance from my home in FL as WGI. However, at The Glen I was able to run four full days, but these events at RA are set up for just one.

I may call them to see if any back to back events are planned. That amount of driving, etc, is worth it only if I can get at least two (preferably more) days of track time.

Barber, WGI, Pitt, Mid Ohio, VIR……..all are a considerable drive and require a fair amount of planning.

Perhaps FCA or PCA is a way in, I’ll have to see.

10. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    #10 schao, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    WGI has the blue armco barriers (as you already know), whereas RA has concrete barriers (!), although they are at varying distances away from track edges. The other difference is to get to RA, you end up towing thru Chicago, and the road conditions start to deteriorate as you approach Gary, IN. So yes, you want to have multiple days at RA to justify the time and effort to get there. You may also want to check out BMWCCA for possible track events at RA. Do you know about motorsportreg.com? Here's a quick search I just ran.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/calendar/hpde-driver-school/?country=US&radius=60&lat=43.75&lng=-87.98&loc=Plymouth

wthensler likes this.
  11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Thank you for this……so I’ve heard, anecdotally, that WGI and RA are among the top two tracks in the universe. Based on my four days at The Glen, I’m inclined to believe the validity of this statement. What I don’t know is…..what is the third? You must have an opinion, lol.

Btw, I watched your vid (incredible!) and it looks like it’s been a while since you’ve been up there. I am planning on 5 full days in early September with Chin and FCA.

12. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    My opinion is influenced by so many different factors (including how my lap times and race results stack up, surprise!), so may not be comparable to what you/others may consider important. But the track rhythm at NOLA and Mid-Ohio are really satisfying!

I haven't been back to WGI since 2012, but used to attend between 3 to 5 multi-day events annually for nearly a decade. September with FCA is magical because of the fall weather, it is absolutely stunning (I think you already know that). I keep looking for a chance to return, but somehow it hasn't been possible. For my race series, WGI is hosting an important race this coming weekend, but my race team is committed to be elsewhere for a different (pro) race series. At least my race team can support me a couple weeks later at RA! I'll send you link to my RA video from last year shortly.

13. David993s

David993s Karting

Jul 4, 2008
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    David
    #13 David993s, Oct 16, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    I've never done an HPDE at Road America, but I raced with SCCA for 20 years and raced at RA many times. It is definitely a track to experience. Very fast and not too technical. If you have a chance to drive RA, don't pass it up.