348 - Downshift into 2nd difficult | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Downshift into 2nd difficult

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ron B., Sep 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    ah...S5. I found S4, I found S6...

sjd

3. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    OK "Mr Ferrarium" you convinced me that the Shell oil is the best so I found a place in GB that repackages the stuff in 5L jugs so I ordered a jug (approx $125 all in plus any duty I may get hit with). I have tried all of the "recommended" Red Line stuff starting with Non Shock to Shock (both really bad) and then to NS which is the best but not back to what I had when I bought the car 6 years ago. Wish I knew what was in there before I got the car so while I am close with the NS we will see what this does. I am due for a change so timing is good. :D

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Two things that I remember about the shifter on my "long gone" 348:

1) The rubber boot under the shift gate got jammed out of place, keeping the lever from moving smoothly (into 2nd?). Easy to relocate.

2) I found that a quarter had fallen through the shift gate and become lodged where it didn't belong, the linkage had worn a substantial groove into it. Easy to fix, shifted much better afterwards.

Might be worth a quick look...

5. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    On earlier cars there's a sponge in there which gets jammed up - if your reverse lights briefly flick on when changing into 2nd then that will be your problem! LOL

I too the sponge out and replaced with the rubber boot

6. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Has anyone tried the relatively new Redline MT-LV? I switched from Superlight Shockproof to 75W95NS based on what I read here but the shifts got much harder. So I am considering MTL, also based on stuff I read here. MT-LV looks like it is just an even lighter version of MTL. Obviously, at some point, one needs to worry about maintaining film on the gears and other surfaces. But, from what I understand, thinner is better for shifting. My instinct says that a blend of thinner gear oil like MTL or MT-LV with a little Shockproof might be the best of both worlds. But one still has the concerns associated with shockproof and I read something about the blend turning into green goo.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #33 Ferrarium, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    Shell spirax along with lubing shift cables and lever box solved my 2nd gear issue. Even cold shifts are pretty good.
    When all else fails try what the factory recommends. Sure work for my car.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Can you provide some guidance on lubricating the cable and lever box?

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    BTW is very easy to do.. Maybe easiest thing I have done. Also sort of enjoyable.:)

11. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
  12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Nah nothing to it.

13. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #39 Huskymaniac, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    On the topic of fluids, I did a little digging and found something interesting. First, the new MT-LV is indeed very low viscosity. It is basically a straight 75W oil. The concern with using that is how it responds at high temperature. Track guys or folks in the south shouldn't even consider it.

MT-LV:
    Vis @ 100°C, CSt 6.5
    Vis @ 40°C, CSt 29.8
    Viscosity Index 175

Next up is the infamous MTL which is 75W80:
    Vis @ 100°C, CSt 10.4
    Vis @ 40°C, CSt 50.8
    Viscosity Index 201

BIG jump there. Next is the MT-85 which is 75W85:
    Vis @ 100°C, CSt 12
    Vis @ 40°C, CSt 62
    Viscosity Index 198

Next we have MT-90 which is 75W90:
    Vis @ 100°C, CSt 15.5
    Vis @ 40°C, CSt 82
    Viscosity Index 200

Lastly, we have 75W90NS:
    Vis @ 100°C, CSt 15.6
    Vis @ 40°C, CSt 89
    Viscosity Index 185

The important number for cold shifting is the viscosity at 40C. However, even 40C is "warm". So the viscosity index matters too. The MT-LV will get really thin above 100C and will get thicker, faster, as you drop below 40C. I'm not loving it. As you all know, 75W90 is what is specified. If you track the car or drive hard or drive in extreme heat, you really should stick with that. For those of us in cold climates, where shifting is harder, I don't think it is a big deal to go thinner. This is Redline after all! For reference, the SAE specifications for 75W90 is >=13.5 CSt at 100C. So, for those who want to be "by the book" but as thin as possible, you want 13.5 at 100C. You see above that this lies between MT-85 and MT-90. This is where it gets interesting. After a little digging, I found the specs of Superlight Shockproof oil.

Superlight Shockproof:
    Vis @ 100°C, CSt 13.9
    Vis @ 40C, CSt 71.6
    Viscosity Index 202

Many people have claimed that this oil is better than 75W90NS for shifting and, I think it makes sense. But if you don't want to run the stuff for other reasons, you can still get to 13.5 by blending MTL and MT-90 or MT-85 and MT-90. If you use three (because you are not a chemist with access to precise measuring equipment) quarts of MT-90 and top off the remainder (1.227 quarts) with MTL, you get:

Vis @ 100°C, CSt 13.8
    Vis @ 40°C, CSt 71.1
    Viscosity Index 201

Well, that looks awfully close to Superlight Shockproof! Hmmmmmm.

For me, I am going to use a gallon of MTL and top off (0.227 quarts) with some of the 75W90NS I have. That blend gets me:

Vis @ 100°C, CSt 10.6
    Vis @ 40°C, CSt 52.3
    Viscosity Index 198

For those who are curious, if you blend 2 quarts of MT-85 and the balance (2.227 quarts) of MT-90, you get the following:

Vis @ 100°C, CSt 13.7
    Vis @ 40°C, CSt 71.7
    Viscosity Index 198

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Unfortunately, as we know, Shockproof is not recommended by Redline for the F355. Can we assume this is the same for the F348?

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry to say this, but this is awful advice. The sponge does not cause a difficult shift.

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Superlight Shockproof is not recommended for gearboxes with internal oil pump, that's from Redlines site. People use it but I would not. Just try the recommended SHELL SPIRAX S5 ATE 75W90 and stop looking for some secret boutique cocktail blend. :)

GTO Joe likes this.
  17. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I have a 1993 348 SS as well. When downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, I do more than blip the throttle; I try to match the revs I think I am goin to be in after the shift. After all, that's why it's called rev matching, eh? Barring that, I let the synchros take a second or two before engaging 2nd. You are not driving a modern manual trans, and it's old. Treat it like the senior citizen it is. Don't rush the shift, but definitely match your revs.