Palawan books | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Palawan books

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by markst270, Aug 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    That should not be the case if Gooding or a third-party agent is shipping it to you outside of California.

2. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Laws are changing... I buy and sell with many auction companies. Unfortunately most of them now have to charge sales tax regardless of where you live. But if you buy as a business and have a tax resale number, you can avoid the sales tax.

3. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    That was my experience with RM recently. Gooding, however, as of my last purchase this past October, was not. Could that have changed? Unfortunately, yes.

With the way sales tax collection is going, I see why auction companies and higher end booksellers are doing well outside of the USA. For expensive books (which have no import duty), the price of international shipping can be favorable compared to sales tax.

Lusso123 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  4. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    WOW: Yesterday at 1 p.m., I ordered Silver Steeds at Palawan, today (!) at noon it will be delivered to my home in south Germany, including all red tape with customs offices finished!

That must be the fastest cross-Channel DHL Express delivery of the last years, especially after Brexit. Well done DHL (and of course: well done by Gavin from Palawan!!!)

Lars T., Nembo1777, Seppefan and 9 others like this.
  5. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Palawan indirectly announced their new book today at Instagram, scheduled for 2023, by publishing an ad where this book is shown among other Aston Martin books by Palawan:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Seems to be about the first Aston Martin GT racing prototypes, which preceded the DB4GT.

Lars T., Rosey, markst270 and 3 others like this.
  6. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Should be very interesting. But it was the DB4GT that preceded the ‘Project’ cars.

375+, Lusso123 and Buchpilot like this.
  7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    That should be interesting. I already have a very good book on 212, 214, 215 published a few years ago but this could be another good one.

Buchpilot likes this.
  8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Who is the author?

9. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Stephen Archer & David Tremayne.

Lusso123 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The Project Astons always fascinated me, probably due to Phil Hill driving one, but I’ll likely pass on this book.

11. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    OMG :rolleyes: You are absolutely right! So, you see, I haven't read in my DB4GT book by Palawan much yet ... I will do so this weekend to brush up my knowledge about Aston Martin.

gt4me and bloomberg like this.
  12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Stephen Archer knows Aston Martin as well or better than anyone, so the information will be spot on.

Seppefan, bloomberg and Buchpilot like this.
  13. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Another new title for next year will be 'Seventies Motor Racing'.

14. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    I can’t wait for it. :)

Zeltweg and bloomberg like this.
  15. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    markst270, Nembo1777, gt4me and 4 others like this.
  16. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    #66 Lars T., Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    Very interesting thread! For many years I had been able to resist the temptation to buy any Palawan books, simply because I felt that they were way more expensive than I could/should afford. The only exception was Ferrari in Camera, of which I purchased one of the last few leatherbound editions directly from Palawan, many years ago. Then, at a time where I was just frustrated and fed up with anything Ferrari, I sold that book to a friend of mine in the Netherlands and used the money to buy Porsche books instead (a silly decision which I‘ll likely regret forever…). Anyway, in the past few years I have become more used to buying expensive high-quality car books and so, exactly one year ago, bought my first Palawan book again. And well… once you start, it‘s hard to stop!

These are the Palawan titles that have found their way in my collection by now, surely a few more will follow ;):

Aston Martin Ulster (leatherbound #22/25)
    All the Ulsters (#22/100)
    Aston Martin DB3S (#393/1000)
    On Aston Martin (#414/500)
    Aston Martin V8 (leatherbound #32/100)
    Aston Martin V8 Register
    Gullwing (Owners‘ Edition #167/500)
    918 Spyder (#73/250)
    Porsche Silver Steeds (#59/500)
    1946 And All That (#529/1500)
    Racing Through Europe (#271/750)
    Klemantaski Himself (Portfolio Edition #168/300)

I‘d love to have the Aston Martin Zagato, DB4GT and Bentley Continental (and of course, Ferrari in Camera again), but these are all much more expensive now than what I‘m willing to spend. Oh well, you can‘t have everything :rolleyes:

Greetings from Germany,

Lars

Rosey, Lusso123, ivo73 and 5 others like this.
  17. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    Ferrari in Camera available new on eBay and Palawan have another 20 copies of the DB4 GT although HdC not numbered. Yes the Bentley continental is a fabulous book as is the D Type. I presume you have placed an order for the new Aston prototype book coming out very soon.

Buchpilot and Lars T. like this.
  18. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't want to say I told you so but I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Lars T. and Buchpilot like this.
  19. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    Hahaha Jonathan, I guess you did! :):):)

20. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    I‘m definitely very interested in the new Aston Martin Prototype book. But is it already possible to place an order at this stage? Any idea what the price and release date will be?

Thanks & ciao, Lars

21. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Probably in Q1 2023, ‘poor man’s’ edition in the region of £500.- You can order by phone.

22. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    Thanks! With so many book prices going up, GBP 500 would be not too bad I think.

Buchpilot and bloomberg like this.
  23. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    500 GBP for the standard edition will turn out to be a dream. Usually, the much sought-after Aston Martin books by Palawan start at 600 GBP. And that was before inflation and a dramatic rise in costs for paper and printing as well as binding. Furthermore, rumour has it that the GT book probably could be the most lavishly produced book by Palawan (except special editions) so far as it will celebrate 30 years of Palawan Press. So that won't contribute to an average price.

My guess is something between 700 and 850 GBP.

Lars T. likes this.
  24. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    I talked to them last week and they gave me a rough estimate. But who knows, just wait for the brochure. Edition will probably be quite small, as the potential audience is limited.

25. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    Ah, nice to hear there will be a brochure. I just emailed Gavin at Palawan to put me on the list of interested customers, so I guess that‘ll get me the brochure too once it is issued.

Buchpilot likes this.