FF new owner questions/observations | FerrariChat

FF new owner questions/observations

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Scout123, Apr 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    From a former F430, and current 458 owner who just got his 2014 FF:

1. After the car sits for a few hours or a day or so, when starting it churns over 2-3 times before it fires up. If it sits for not that long, it fires right up. Assume this FF start will be different than my 458 V8 (which fires up right away no matter what) b/c of all juice being used on V12?

2. After driving for quite a while, highway speeds + included, when turning off in the garage, all underneath the car snap, crackle's and pops for a bit until the car cools down. I assume these are the exhaust pipes cooling off as the sound runs the length under the car.

3. Turning radius is much tighter than expected.

4. More beautiful in person than pictures.

5. Doesn't ride as smooth as I hoped in the comfort mode. But, no biggie

6. Being 6'2", hard finding the right seat adjustment for legs and arms. If the steering wheel would just extend 1-2" more, it would be perfect.

7. Entertainment is even more dated that what I expected and read about, etc. Newest Kenwood unit on the way.

8. As well documented, the seat memory buttons have a mind of their own, and of course, screen will randomly relay that one of the seat's ventilation/heat is running when it is not.

Glad I followed everyone's advice and got this thing. Truly the most underappreciated Ferrari (maybe of all time). Everyday I drive is now a special day between the two cars.

veelangs and Loxo like this.
  2. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    1. Shouldn't be not take 2/3 time, my 14 FF fires right up. I always have it on the tender even though I drive it every week.
    2. I hear similar noises. Same with my 575 (v12)
    3. Agreed
    4. 100% agreed!
    5. I think its sufficient enough could be worse
    6. Im 6-4 have no problems whatsoever
    7. Terrible, I def need to upgrade, especially since I only use bluetooth (pandora, Apple Music)
    8. Same here, although my ventilation always says its on and I actually think it is. Even when I put the heat LOL I can not turn off the ventilation
    Great DD, I can not find a relatively comfortable DD that checks all the boxes with the exception of raidio/media technology .

3. PTC

PTC Karting

Mar 30, 2010
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Peter Timan Clark
    Hey Gents,
    1. it turns and fires in less time than it takes to inhale and exhale in a relaxed state. Assuming battery fully tendered.
    2. this is a signature sound referred to as the "crinkle" or "shrink-down" it is highly coveted as an acoustic treat after parking the car in an enclosed space. The smell is no extra charge. You want something that smells more like oil than plastic. If it goes smelling like more plastic than oil, check your fluids asap.
    3. Not as tight as the Cayenne GTS / it's a matter of wheelbase on that one for me, personally, nothing is too tight when it comes to braking & turning
    4. 100% Agreed
    5. it's a Ferrari FF in Comfort Mode. Enjoy.
    6. I'm 6'2" as well. It's a Ferrari FF. Dump the seat to the bottom, Extend the Steering Wheel to match Leg Extension on Seat Distance. Enjoy.
    7. I ignore 100% of Ferrari Radio/SatNav/Zero/Don't Care. I drive the car, I don't listen to anything but the engine 100% of the time.
    8. Yes, happened one time got a weird Seat error message, but have have just changed battery and no sign since then; will be interesting to see how seat A/C and Heat works over next 12 months now that I've just gotten a new battery @ 22.5k miles. (2012 Model)
    Will keep you posted.
    Enjoy / let's keep exchanging notes / I'm on a 640i GT daily driver since leaving the Cayenne GTS 6-speed behind in Jan.
    PTC

4. Elferink

Elferink Rookie

May 16, 2018
    the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mark Elferink
    As for the entertainment system: I have the upgraded version with Apple Carplay.
    This one isn't that bad. Most of the time I use Apple Carplay for music, navigation, radio etc. It works perfectly!
    For the shorter trips, the engine noise is all I listen to :)

5. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Glad you're enjoying the FF.

Your first observation suggests that it's time for a new battery.

LeoBRK likes this.
  6. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    I pulled the service history. On 12/16/20 the battery was replaced with AMG Odyssey. Seems early, but I think you are right. I saw the same behavior on my F430 before I replaced the battery.

7. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    The FF is much harder on its battery than the F430 as the battery sits in the engine bay and the heat buildup significantly shortens the battery life. I had a Varta AGM lose more than 20% of its CCA capacity over 2 years despite being on the tender all the time (actually, putting it on the tender while hot also shortens the battery life - I wrote a post about it https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/tender-love-is-killing-our-batteries.646002/). In addition, if the battery has been allowed to fall into a deep discharge state (before you bought the car) because it was left off the tender for too long then it doesn't matter how new the battery is, you won't recover enough lost capacity for the car to start on the first turn.

I see FF batteries as a consumable which need to be replaced every 2 years. If you're handy with a spanner and don't have a bad back, the battery change can be accomplished by one person in 30-60 minutes. My BMW uses the same battery as the FF and isn't as fussy so it gets the FF's cast-offs :cool:

8. veelangs

veelangs Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2021
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Vee
    Bad back is imperative! The FFs battery is heavy AF and it's deep in the bowels so you gotta lift it in one swift motion so you don't scratch your paint

I took the advice of the forums and got an antigravity battery (as I city garage park) best decision ever. No issues whatsoever, just annoying fault lights when the car starts up for 20-30 seconds and then it all goes away.

First time it happened I thought everything was broken, nope..just takes an extra bit to get the energy to all the components