430 - No heating in the cabin after coolant flush | FerrariChat

430 No heating in the cabin after coolant flush

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mario Andretti, Apr 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Hi all,

I flushed/changed my coolant the other day, and topped up the max, let her run for a bit .. shut down and went home. Come back next day, top up half a gallon, and go for a drive. It was not too cold outside, but I wanted to make sure the heating works after draining all coolant, so I turned it on MAX. Nothing, no heat.
    If I turn it on cold, AC works fine, blows very cold air.

Water and oil temps are normal, fans come on when they need to, it cools down and shut off...just like before.

I don't think these have a bleeding screw, from what I read in the manual ... just says to top off.. Is it possible to still have an air pocket in the heater core?

Now, thinking back before changing coolant; I did have heating, but it never came on until I switched it to max level.. ever. If I set it to say, 85, or so, never started until I set it to max. I never thought much about the anomaly, but it does seem weird. Is it possible that the AC/heating module to be at fault?

Thanks for any input

2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I think you could have a air pocket somewhere...I use an airlift tool, hundred bucks or so...and it works flawlessly for my 360. HTH

Mario Andretti likes this.
  3. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Get a vacuum coolant refill tool, pull a vacuum on it for awhile and then see if it will take some more coolant. That should eliminate any residual air in the system. The heating and cooling operation is somewhat unclear at times and take a little time to balance out. I find beat way to get heat is to take all switches off auto, and ac switch OUT heat turned up high and vent position setting of your choice. Fan speed selected manually. It sometimes takes a few minutes but you should be getting some heat. The ac compressor needs to run on heat settings to dehumidify the air or the inside windows fog

https://www.amazon.com/WIN-MAX-Engine-Cooling-System-Universal/dp/B0787JQSFH/ref=asc_df_B0787JQSFH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241896598945&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10240512312223731401&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022693&hvtargid=pla-474387617474&psc=1

or equivalent. I used one from Harbor freight and it worked fine for the money and did what it was designed to do.

4. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Would be a coincidence since you just changed the coolant, but I had an issue like this and resetting the HVAC ECU by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery resolved it. Seems these ECUs have a tendency to act up if I recall from some research at the time.

flash32 likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    +1

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sounds like an air lock. In these cases I let the engine idle with the header tank cap removed. The system will remain depressurised and should burp out any air - keep a rag around the cap area for when it does.

7. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I always do that when I change coolant for the first few minutes until it warms up... after a while you have to put the cap on as it throws up at you !

mwstewart likes this.
  8. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    +1 for the airlift. Just bought and used one for my 360. Worked like a charm first time out.

9. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    You need a vacuum pump for all these to work.... Which one did you use?
    Thanks

10. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    I have a small Husky compressor from Home Depot. Hasn’t let me down for any tasks I need; impact gun, airlocks on 4-post lift, AirLift coolant tool, etc.

11. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    The car has been sitting with battery disconnected for most winter... and I just replaced the window microswitch, case when I also disconnected it... highly doubt it's going to be resolved by another power cycle..

ditpixs likes this.
  12. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    The tool generates its own vacuum with an air compressor blowing air through a venturi.

Do you have an air compresssor? IF there is a Harbor Freight store near you, you can get a small 2 gallon tank compressor and the coolant refilling tool at the same store. You will need a air compressor.

13. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
  14. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Quick question... I left the heater to max hot at all times... But; do you need to have the aircon to "on" (or button which says "off" not pushed) for the flap to turn on the hot air ?

15. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    The Ryobi compressor would be fine for your intended purposes, tires coolant vacuum etc. Also I have found that the heater works best with the air conditioner or "power on" button not pushed in or in the OUT position. The label on the button is marked "off" which is what you get when pushed IN,

16. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    In the 360, there’s a button labeled STOP. Of this button is pressed IN, you will get no heat. Its’ default position is OUT/not depressed. That will enable both heat and AC to work.

Sj_engr and Mario Andretti like this.
  17. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Thanks; in the 430 the button is labelled "off" and when I push it in, AC no longer works. The heating did work though before, no matter what was the status of this button...

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Put the front wheels on 6 inch timbers with chocs, jack up the rear of the car to get a good angle and leave it to bled its air out. Have a look at Dans u tube video on coolant change, he has this big angle

19. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    That is correct, but if de humidification is desired (windows fog pretty badly in cold temps) let it run with the AC power button OUT. To me it seemed as if the heat came from the vents faster if AC button was out but eventually it would come with the button pushed in.

20. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    If the system is set to OFF then I think no AC/heat is added. Just "fresh air".

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It is not a nice car to drive in heavy rain, you need the hot air on the screen all the time to keep it clear of mist and if you crack open the window to cool the cabin than the rain comes in.

22. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    We are NOT in the UK, thanks god, and hence we don't encounter heavy rain all that often ;)

23. Dla

Dla Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Jacksonville FL
    Full Name:
    Lee Anderson
    Same thing happened to me when I changed my battery, AC fine but no heat. Read this was common, so disconnect (or turn off) the battery by using the battery disconnect in the bonnet. Wait 5 min. Then turn it back on and turn your key so that the accessaries are on but not the engine, wait a couple minutes, start the car. My heater worked fine.
    DLA

24. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Well, all working fine now. I did top up coolant (car was cold when I go there) with another 2 quarts or so, as level went down after cooling down. Started her up, and heating was working in 2 min or so.... I think they need a bit more time and a couple of runs to self bleed all the air.

It should be like this; on all my cars I change coolant every 3 - 4 years, I never had to use any special tools.
    I did buy an Airlift tool from Amazon, but it did not arrive yet... next time it will be easier.

Cheers and thanks all.

Purch23 and Snapshift like this.