Leatherique Custom Dye Issues | FerrariChat

Leatherique Custom Dye Issues

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Mike Morrissey, Apr 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Wondering if anyone else has experienced issues using custom color mixed Leatherique Dye. I am in the process of refinishing a Connolly Leather F355 drivers seat obtained on eBay, to replace one that has mechanical problems. I have had a very good experience in preparation of the leather, using the Leatherique Rejuvenator, (Pristine) Prestine Clean, the Prepping Agent and Crack Fill. However when it came to the Dye process, things went downhill.

I sent Leatherique a leather sample which was an excellent color match to the rest of the vehicle interior for them to create a custom mix. The result upon application was not only a poor color match, but the finish was extremely glossy. Their answer was that not enough dulling agent was added.

As seen in the attached photos, I applied a small amount of the dye to the sample that was sent in to show the color differences.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated, as I’m now in the process of removing the poorly matched dye. Contacting Leatherique, they want me to send the dye back to them, with detailed notes and printed photos so they can re-mix it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  3. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I had a similar problem 5 or so years ago. The color I ordered came in with too much red in it to match what I wanted to dye. I fixed it myself but will not use them again.

docf and Mike Morrissey like this.
  4. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Ooof… what is Ooof?

5. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    I see some favorable comments on ColorPlus products. Any recommendations pro or con?

6. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have heard the same about them but, I have not had a reason yet to use them. Next time I have a need I will probably try them because of the responses that I have seen

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  7. jlc308

jlc308 Karting

Jul 11, 2009
    Irvine CA
    They are not the same anymore, poor customer service and deny any problems of their product. Won't use them again

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have used them several times (5), and found only 1 perfect match. The other times, I would do the entire interior so they all match the new slightly off color. I would use them again but my color match expectation is low.

9. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    I’ve made a new order for dye from ColorPlus, I’ll post pictures and comments with the outcome.

JLF and Llenroc like this.
  10. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Colour matching aged leather is an exact art and can only be done to a high standard in situ with the car, and in good light. Based on the picture i would agree with Leatherique in that not enough " matting " agent was not mixed with the colour.
    Do Leatherique supply a " matt finishing spray", these can be sprayed over the top of the finished colour and come in matt, satin or gloss finishes.
    Did you use a small air brush to apply the new colour?, covering large areas has to be done with an air brush, you can get away using a cloth and dabbing small areas that may have worn, eg seat bolster.
    I dont know how much you paid for the re-colouring system from Leatherique, but you may have been better contacting your local Ferrari dealership and ask them who they use for their " leather smart repairs".

Bullfighter and Mike Morrissey like this.
  11. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Great advice, thank you.

12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    As someone else mentioned, matching aged leather is so difficult, mostly due to the UV ray factor. Over time, UVs affect the colorants, so particularly in an open top car, even ten years later, there are no two colors the same. When I purchased my 2001 360 a couple of years ago, I had a company called "FibreNew" (I think they are a franchise) do a refurb on my seats, and they turned out fantastic. Two years later they still look great.

13. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Mike - if you do get a good colour match from Colorplus and decide to do the chair yourself, you will need a few more tools for the job.
    1. A 3inch foam paint roller with hook handle.
    2. A small plastic tray to pour the colour into.
    3. A small hobbyist airbrush with mini compressor.
    4. Nitrile gloves.
    5. Hairdryer ( not the wifes ).
    5. Masking tape if required ( for the piping? ).

Make sure the seat to be covered is fully clean, use the recommended surface cleaner supplied, you want to make sure the original seat colour is " fast " and not lifting onto the cloth when being cleaned.
    Test the new colour on the seat, use a small paint brush for this, once applied dry with the hairdryer as the colour will change once dried. If you are happy, then proceed.
    Im guessing the new seat is out of the car, if not cover surrounding area with old bed sheets, especially matts.
    Have a small table next to the seat, place your plastic tray on this and fill with new colour.
    Now using the foam paint roller, pick up some colour and apply to the seat, work the roller over the surface, make sure you get into the hard to reach areas. At this stage dont worry too much about the surface finish.
    Dont apply too much at any one time, just concentrate on getting a nice even coat all over the seat.
    Once the seat is covered, gently dry using the hairdryer. Using the hairdryer speeds up the drying process.
    Once the seat is fully dry, now is the time to fill your paint pot and use the airbrush. You can get compressed air aerosols but a mini compressor is better. You want to use a nozzle that will give a fine mist of colour / paint. Get a piece of paper and practice first.
    Dont rush this stage Mike, gently mist the colour over the entire seat, if you want you can split the seat into areas. Once the colour has been applied dry using the hairdryer, believe me, the finish and colour will alter when dry Mike.
    2 coats should be enough to give a nice even finish Mike.
    Once fully dried and cured, you may have to " seal " over the colour, check with the manufacturer Mike.
    As stated earlier, these sealants can come in Matt, Satin or Gloss finishes.
    Again aim for a light mist coating of the entire seat. Once applied dry with the hairdryer.
    Leave to fully cure overnight before sitting on the seat if possible.

INRange and Mike Morrissey like this.
  14. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Good tips, thank you.

15. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    To follow up, after the poor experience with the Leatherique custom dye mix, I ordered and received a custom mix from Color-Plus Leather Restorations. I was very impressed and it was unexpected that they not only sent a sample of the mixed dye, but also the analysis report. Owner Vicki is very helpful and responsive to questions. I’ll continue to update following application of the dye.

16. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Mike - did you talk to Colour Plus about " sealing " after colour application?
    I have valeted many a car that has just been purchased by the new owner where the seat colour has come off onto my micro fibre cloth when cleaned.
    Its nearly always the drivers seat as it gets so much wear, its a quick fix for some dealers you see as they dont have to go to the extra cost / time etc.
    Looks good service though so far from Colour Plus.

17. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Yes, good point; they offer a CLEAR-COTE which is recommended as a protective top coat, mainly for warm and humid climates. It's also recommended for use over bright colors. It provides an extra layer over the surface, protecting certain colors from fade and ware.

18. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    If you use the Clear Cote Mike, test on an area first as it may make the finish very shiny?

19. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Thanks, shiny is something I definitely want to avoid.

20. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    #20 Mike Morrissey, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    Finally a few free days after preparation work and was able to spray the seat bottom today. The color match and sheen is excellent, better than I expected. Initially I tried using an airbrush, but had much better results with a HVLP gravity spray gun. I’m very impressed so far with the Color-Plus dye. Still some clean up work on the stitching with the seat back spraying to follow.

Before/After…

tres55, Thecadster, INRange and 4 others like this.
  21. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    What a transformation!, you must be happy with the seat Mike?. Looks a top job, nice OEM matt finish, and saved yourself $$$$ too to boot!
    M-M Leather Repairs Ltd?

22. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Thank you John. Yes I’m quite pleased with how it’s turning out. It’s been a long process in my spare time. In all fairness to Leatherique, their cleaning and rejuvenation products are wonderful. The custom dye was not, as I’ve heard confirmation from others and their experiences too. They did refund the cost.

23. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    #24 Mike Morrissey, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
    I finished assembling the seat this morning, here is a web link with before and after photos.
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0k53qWtHJupWzd

Of interesting note, speaking with Vicki, the owner of Color-Plus, I mentioned the use of a protective topcoat. She informed me that they had such a product in the past but now have formulated a topcoat type solution within the dye itself.

I wondered if that was the case as I ended up needing to remove a small section of dye after about 24 hours of application, due to some bubbling that took place as I had a hair dryer a bit too close.

Removal of that dye in the section was very difficult after 24 hours, even with the use of acetone.

I was also pleased to learn today that the company keeps on file for 12 years, the formula for remixing the custom dye in the future, along with a sample that they’ve sprayed, before shipping the product.

My passenger seat is in amazingly excellent condition and has never been refinished as it was hardly used by the previous owner. I would have never considered refinishing it, to keep its originality, but after seeing the outcome of this seat and how wonderful this product is to work with, I think it will be my next project, as the color has probably faded over the years. I’ll know better after installation of this seat.

Color-Plus is a fantastic company with exceptional customer service.

24. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Again Mike i have to say looking at the pictures the results of your efforts look amazing.
    Honours must also go to Color - Plus for such an excellent product / colour match. As stated colour matching is the key to any seat restoration as it stands out like a sore thumb if even slightly wrong.
    I think you are right in doing the passenger seat too.
    Post some more pics when the interior is finished please.
    PS I purchased a small HVLP spray gun on your results. The airbrush kit i normally use is fine for small repairs, but the HVLP is better for larger area coverage.
    Have a good weekend Mike.