Cracked Headers? Here's why | FerrariChat

Cracked Headers? Here's why

Discussion in '360/430' started by Fabspeed Motorsport, Apr 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Ferrari headers are a known weak point on F355, 360 and F430 models. We explain what the issue is and how you can solve it, preventing a potentially very expensive engine rebuild.

tonyc likes this.
  2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I can't speak for the 360, but the F430 manifolds are made very well. Wall thickness is very good, and the welds are good. The only issue is the solid rear mounting brackets.

3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

:D So , you are in a differenter opinion than the OP. Am I understanding this correctly?

mwstewart likes this.
  4. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Unfortunately in the past year, we have seen a handful of F430's with OEM headers failing. It may not be as common as the earlier variants, but it is still very much a probability!

5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I assume most of those are 07 and earlier cars. Ferrari did a MK II revision in 08. You should also talk about the Fabspeed brackets in your video. I think they are not only a work of art but do help prevent the issue if you have the revised OEM MK II headers.

Fabspeed Motorsport likes this.
  6. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    The failures of the late model 360 and 430 headers are well known. So far, I haven't had any issues with my 1999 360. However, as someone in the oil and gas industry and specifically the PM & maintenance groups, I believe in preventative maintenance.

With what I know, the failures are on the later model ones with the pre-cats. What have you or anyone else seen as far as the first gen 360 headers failing?

one4torque likes this.
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Hardly a surprise given how they are bolted up solid at the rear, mine move 18 mm on the capristo expansion brackets. You dont get the cracks with these fitted

8. swc5150

swc5150 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Scott Calderwood
    isn't removing the lower mounting brackets a good preventative as well?

9. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    For the 430 just get the Challenge headers. I daily drive my car and drove 20k miles last year with the challenge headers. No cracks. And even if they crack. There is no cat inside and you can welt them. I prefer this over third-party exhausts which are often too loud and noisy. Too many sales representatives here trying to sell their exhaust systems.

van22 likes this.
  10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Those big plates on the back of the gearbox sure dont help,

11. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    The factory brackets are rigid in all directions.

The idea of the brackets is to keep the exhaust tips from impacting the rear bumper surrounds.

The Fabspeed brackets are only rigid in the horizontal direction.

While the Fabspeed brackets aren’t as flexible as the springs from Capristo they are still flexible and don’t attach the exhaust to the body of the car which moves independently from the engine. Something I wanted to avoid and something that would require very flexible springs which I’m not sure how much actual support the Capristo provide to prevent the tips from hitting the bumper surrounds.

Now if your engine and transmission mounts are in good condition maybe removing the brackets is fine, but if your engine mounts start to wear you do risk hitting the exhaust surrounds. When I was looking for a replacement for my scratched surround and looked at used ones, more than a few showed signs of impact from the exhaust tips. So I would guess those people either had removed their brackets or had the Capristo and had the very common wear on their engine mounts to the point where the engine and exhaust moved enough that between the exhaust vibration and engine movement they hit/touched the plastic exhaust surround on the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Interestingly the 360 doesn't have these rigid rear support brackets and the 360 has a heavier factory exhaust system.

13. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    According to my mechanic it’s very common to have the exhaust hit the surrounds in the rear bumper under hard acceleration on the 360 which is why they added the brackets.

14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Ok I guess they have a purpose. Shame they are rigid and bad for the headers. I actually considered cutting those brackets in half and welding door hinges on so they could move back and forth.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Story I was told, by who is long forgotten, the header problem stated when Ferrari would use Tubi on the preproduction cars, and then switch to cheap **** on the production cars.

I don’t know how much truth there is to this story, but it sounds like something Ferrari would do.

16. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Had my header crack on the side where the exhaust bracket was intact. No header crack on the side where the exhaust bracket cracked.

RedTaxi likes this.
  17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Same here and it makes perfect sense. Most folk weld up cracked brackets good and strong without a thought for the header.

18. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Yeah take off your exhaust brackets and never think about it again.

LorenzoR likes this.
  19. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is it safe to remove lower exhaust brackets??

Surely if they are only there to stop it hitting bumper then it means the eng and trans mounts are shot, and trying to hold the whole exhaust and stop flexing with 2 hard mounts is asking for trouble as it will but a lot of stress on exhaust

swc5150 likes this.
  20. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I don’t think it adds any more stress if the mounts are shot as the whole exhaust moves with the engine/trans.

I think moral to the story. If you remove your brackets completely make sure you keep an eye on your engine and transmission mounts because under load and when you shift you could hit the surrounds in the bumper.

tbakowsky likes this.
  21. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Everyone should replace their super old mounts by now anyways.

328gts1987 and KC360 FL like this.
  22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The exhaust brackets play zero part in the manifold issue. I'm not sure how they can. The entire exhaust system is bolted rigidly to the gear box and manifolds, which is bolted to the engine. At no point is the exhaust anywhere attached the body/frame of the car. When the engine moves..the entire system moves with it. There is no point of stress or "tug of war" in the system at all.

I firmly believe the cracks and rear bracket failure are due to vibration and heat. They all seem to break at the weld in one area or another..

The capristo mount is a joke. I haven't even looked at the fabspeed one..but I will assume it's probably just as useless. There is no "magic bracket" that will fix this issue. It's crappy materials..that's it.

If you have cracked brackets you can simply remove them..but they do add extra vertical support keeping things nice and straight.

KC360 FL likes this.
  23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ I think the issue is the exhaust between the head flange and the rigid mounts has much more thermal expansion than the engine/trans housings limiting that movement. No?

328gts1987, swc5150 and RedTaxi like this.
  24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have cut a couple these open now and had a look. I want to up load some pictures to show where these things like to break..but the site won't let me. Says file is too large..any suggestions?

25. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    f355spider likes this.