Official book collectors thread | Page 178 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    My two volume Ed Niles books arrived this weekend. Love the old grainy pictures. Looks to be a light heart-ed read, looking forward it. So many good books recently, hard to keep up. :eek:

Zeltweg likes this.
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’m taking a break as well. I’ll wait for Doug Nye’s Ferrari photobiography and the long awaited (and very possibly never-to-be-published) Chinetti/N.A.R.T. book.

375+, Buchpilot and Rosey like this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Agree. I need to give it a rest before my AMEX card melts. My fear is that the Chinetti/NART book will never see the light of day.

Rosey, Lusso123 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  4. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Hopefully, that will not come to pass. The market for the book definitely seems to be there. Someone just needs to fill the void. It seems like David Bull Publishing is in the process of liquidating their remaining stock and winding down their operation. I would like to think that this unfinished project is something that could be sold or transferred to another publisher. What I don't know, and I guess some of us suspect and/or fear, is the degree to which Coco Chinetti is actively working to suppress or otherwise derail the potential book.

5. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    All I can add politely is that I’ve never heard anyone say that he’s actively supporting and promoting the project.

Octane Press seems to be a boutique publisher that could step into the void left by Bull. Maybe they could take it on, but without said cooperation nobody’s going to be able to do it.

prober34 likes this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    He has been very actively involved--for better or worse.

7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I would make this a poll, but that would require a separate thread….

Do you keep the outer boxes that your books are shipped it?

Why or why not?

Rosey, Zeltweg and jm2 like this.
  8. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    I only keep the outer boxes if there's printing or graphics on the box that pertains to the book inside, recently I have saved more and more boxes.

ChoroQ, Jack-the-lad and 375+ like this.
  9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Late edit

I typically keep the box, but then I think, “Why? If I had bought it in a book shop or at a car event it wouldn’t have a shipping box. So the box shouldn’t necessarily lend any value if I ever sell the book.”

readplays, ChoroQ and jm2 like this.
  10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I do for many. I have a number of dupes that are BNIB including a first edition Fitzgerald and Merritt.

jm2 likes this.
  11. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    You must have nicer packaging than me. The books I get tend to be in a bit of old cardboard with some bubblewrap or whatever. It's perfectly fine and does the job of getting the book to me but once I've taken the book out it has no use and most of the time I wouldn't then know which book had come in which package. Perhaps it is because I only infrequently order directly from a publisher?

12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I tend to do what Matt @MHK69 does: If the outer shipping container is specifically for the book inside I probably keep it. On the other hand if the book isn’t particularly collectable or is not a limited edition I discard the outer box.

Doug23 likes this.
  13. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I don't have a lot of books that have come in boxes, but for the ones that have, I do keep the boxes. I also do the same for anything I believe is a collectible of sorts. Watches, models, and various automobilia; which does strengthen the value of most of those items; so for the special books, especially any numbered/limited I think it helps a little. Not that I plan to sell everything, but sometimes my tastes change, and when I've sold things, I've always found that having all original materials to go with an item is a plus when selling. With that said...the downside of my collecting OCD is the space that all my empty boxes occupy! Probably would be a lot easier on me if I didn't care....guess it's time to find a good shrink.

Nembo1777, Rosey, Zeltweg and 2 others like this.
  14. Zeltweg

Zeltweg Karting

Apr 8, 2021
    I keep them “just in case”. If I move or sell a book it’s easier to use the original box that I know keeps it secure than looking for a specific box later on.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Depends on the book I think.

When I bought Ferrari In Camera most didn't have an outer and it made no real difference to the price but I ended up buying one with it.

My N. Beehl Sales Drive / Postcards book collection didn't come with any outers but because of it being a very low matching numbers set it didn't worry me.

I kept the Miura Book outer just because of the increased value of the book even though it's just a plain white outer carton.

Trouble with keeping all the outers is you now need a second area to store all the boxes as well as the large bookshelf for all the books.

Buchpilot and 375+ like this.
  16. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    It breaks my heart, but I can't keep the outer boxes for lack of space. If I could, I would really keep them, because in my view they add to the value (not only in terms of money) of a book and it is very nice to have a specially crafted box for the book.

Thus, I only kept three boxes: the two wonderfully crafted boxes for Postcard from Maranello and La Nascita (because they are really part of the book) and the box for the Jota Edition.

ivo73 likes this.
  17. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    John Lamm Library Sells online for $59,000. Was it worth it?

.from Bring Trailer.com
    No Reserve: John Lamm’s Library of 643 Automotive Publications
    Sold for $50,000 on 5/24/21[​IMG]

This library of automotive literature was accumulated by the late automotive journalist John Lamm over the course of his 37-year career as a photographer and writer for Road & Track magazine. The collection contains 643 hardcover and softcover publications covering a range of makes and models as well as subjects such as auto racing, automotive design, and general history. This collection of automotive literature is offered at no reserve by the seller on behalf of Lamm’s estate in California.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lamm had a close relationship with F1 World Champion Phil Hill, and the pair traveled to Italy for a number of assignments to do with Ferrari and other Italian makes. The collection features 84 titles dedicated to Ferrari, including a copy of The Big Red Book, as well as a number of additional pieces covering Italian coachbuilders such as Giugiaro and Pininfarina.

Other notable makes represented throughout the collection include Porsche (23 titles), Mercedes-Benz (22), Jaguar (19), Maserati (13), Mazda (13), and BMW (12). Mr. Lamm used the library for work-related research according to the seller, and a handful of books are said to retain underlines, margin notes, and highlighting.

Motorsport-related literature includes several driver biographies in addition to books about specific marques, series, and race tracks. Other publications focus on photography, design, automotive trends, hot rods, car shows, and general reference. A number of titles have been signed by notable figures of the automotive world including Carroll Shelby, Phil Hill, and Roy Salvadori.

Road & Track vehicle tests span 64 books and cover marques from Alfa Romeo to Volkswagen. Additional magazine publications include 199 issues of Automobiles Classiques as well as 49 Super Car Graphic books from Japan. An eight-page catalog of the collection can be reviewed in the photo gallery below.

Noteworthy titles highlighted by the seller include: The Immortal 2.9: Alfa Romeo 8C 2900 by Simon Moore; Pebble Beach – A Matter of Style by Robert Delvin; Touring Superleggera by Anderloni & Anselmi; and Technical Art Exhibition by Yoshihiro Inomoto, with the latter comprising four books of cutaway illustrations by the Japanese artist. Additional titles include the following:

• Abarth, King of Small Cars by Faza Publication
    • Le Vetteure Alfa Romeo 1910 by Luigi Fusi
    • Racing with the David Brown Aston Martins (Volumes 1 and 2)
    • BMW Profiles 9: The Legendary 507 by Dr. Karl Heinz Lange
    • Bugatti Magnum by Hugh Conway
    • Cisitalia by Nino Balastra & Cesare De Agostini
    • Ferrari 250 Sperimentale N. 2643 by Stirling Moss
    • Emotion Ferrari 1947-1972 by Maurice Louche
    • Pininfarina Ferrari by Automobilia
    • Ghia Catalog Raisonne by Bruno Alfreri
    • Norman Dewis on Jaguar
    • Lamborghini Diablo by Jurgen Lewandowski
    • Lamborghini Catalog Raisonne by Stefano Pasini
    • Lancia and DeVirgilio at the Center by Geoffrey Goldberg
    • Mercedes-Benz 300SL by Jurgen Lewandowski
    • The Mighty MG Magnettes of 33 by Graeme Cocks
    • Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance Celebrating Fifty Years
    • Evolution of the Porsche 911 in Competition 1965-2010
    • Scarab by Preston Lerner
    • American Road Racing by John C. Reuter
    • Time and Two Seats by Janos Wimpffen
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    POSTER'S COMMENT
    Alas, I didn't read about the auction until after it was over. I'd like to know if, during his decades at R & T, if he was actively trading books to have the best collection possible or if some of the books in his library were just giveaways from Road &Track, as magazines are barraged with books by authors hoping for reviews (I've sent a few to magazines myself with only one magazine giving me a review) ? In other words, did he weed out the unworthies? So wht i'm asking i ws it a curated collection? Maybe his photo collection of possibly half a million images will come up for auction--enough there to do 100 books. If anyone hears about it being posted for auction, let us all know so we can expect some great photo books on Ferrari....

Lusso123, Rosey, Dino2010 and 4 others like this.
  18. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Whilst I don't know for sure, I would be pretty confident from looking at the titles that those are the books he wanted to have rather than a load of freebies.

Selling, or rather buying, a collection like that seems a little strange because who suddenly decides to buy $50k worth books when they haven't bought any previously? And, if they have a collection already, then you would expect such a purchase to result in many duplicates, assuming the purchaser wasn't a dealer. That said, clearly at least one person thought buying the collection made sense because they wanted some or all of the titles.

Edited to add that I read a comment from the winning bidder as follows: "The collection will be heading to Dubai, the UAE. It is to coincide with a life long dream project of mine – which I have no doubt – you will see announced globally tomorrow or the day after :)
    This collection will not remain private. Instead the goal is to make it available to enthusiasts and researchers to help grow their love and appreciation for cars + catalogue their history.
    I hope it will inspire people of all ages to never stop chasing their dreams and aspirations :)"

Lusso123, Rosey, Zeltweg and 3 others like this.
  19. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    That sale was almost a year ago, so I'm not exactly sure why this is coming up now. However, I remember thinking that the actual lot of books was somewhat split between desirable titles in good condition and swag type stuff or books in so-so condition. I suspect that the high bid on BAT might have had more to do with the bidder's desire to link his "life long dream project" to the R&T/John Lamm name, rather than the value of the books alone.

ChoroQ likes this.
  20. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    readplays, Zeltweg, -CD- and 8 others like this.
  21. SamoanAttorney

Sep 24, 2015
    NürScud and Zeltweg like this.
  22. joejackson

joejackson Karting

Aug 18, 2006
    Muenster/Germany
    Full Name:
    Gert S
    New bilingual 288 GTO book announced for October 2022!

https://www.delius-klasing.de/ferrari-288-gto-12519

288 pages, EUR 148,-

More than an illustrated book on a car: Portrait of a Ferrari legend from the 80s

The quality of some sports cars can be deduced from their famous owners. With the Ferrari 288 GTO there are even three Formula 1 drivers among them: Michele Alboreto, Keke Rosberg and Niki Lauda. Sheer coincidence? Unlikely.

In this fine box motorsport photographer Stefan Bogner captures the classy design vocabulary of the 288 GTO and presents some of the rare originals in a large-format illustrated book. The extra factbook with texts by brand expert Jürgen Lewandowski has all the well-known and lesser-known information on the rare Ferrari classic.

• Premium-quality box with illustrated book and factbook – the ideal gift for car lovers and Ferrari fans
    • The full development history and all technical data of the Ferrari 288 GTO
    • Over 200 photos of the Ferrari: All designs, years and special models spectacularly staged by Stefan Bogner
    • Expert texts by brand expert Jürgen Lewandowski, bilingual in German and English
    The 288 GTO – Rare dreamcar and milestone of the Ferrari history

When in 1984 Ferrari presented the GTO, its racing look and forceful performance data attracted numerous customers. But just 272 of the Italian sports car were built within two years. The last one was handed over personally by Enzo Ferrari to Niki Lauda. In spite of all that the 288 GTO was never used as a racing car. Although its tubular steel frame, the longitudinally mounted twin turbo V8 and 400 PS made it competitive. Even today it achieves top prices at auctions.

Delve into a piece of automobile history and experience one of the rarest Ferrari models!

rynoshark, NürScud, Rosey and 4 others like this.
  23. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    U.S. price is $150 and free shipping.

Schultz, Nembo1777 and Zeltweg like this.
  24. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Fantastic news!!! I have the Porsche 959 book box and the Porsche 918 Spyder book box by Delius Klasing. Both are excellent. I think it's fair to say that we can expect a great publication.

25. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Rosey, trashidelek! and jm2 like this.