Coolant gasket dressing | FerrariChat

Coolant gasket dressing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dersark_painclinic, Apr 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Hello all, I am about to put the coolant manifold back in place, The 575 WSM did not mention any form of sealant to the gasket prior to installation. After scrubbing the existing old gaskets there might be fine scratches to seal, there are tones of products out there to use but which one you guys recommend as the right choice.
    As always appreciate any help. Sark

cann667 and garyfrank231 like this.
  2. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    I used "Honda Bond" sealant on all the gaskets on my Ferrari and have been very pleased with the results.

3. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Thank you will order one tube

4. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I have very good luck with Hylomar Universal Blue on my vintage Ferrari. It was developed in the UK for Rolls Royce. Ii works quite well on any fuel connection.

INRange and moysiuan like this.
  5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Definitely Hondabond!
    Make sure both surfaces are wiped clean with acetone, then a thin layer of Hondabond on both sides of the gasket.
    You won’t ever have a leak.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Thank you for professional advises, will follow.

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Hylomar, spray can variant whenever it is possible as the layer is much mire thin. Makes a cleaner result.

The product ends-up like post-it glue: somehow detachable.

8. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    3Bond 1211 is what I use. It has a pretty long set time and that allows me to get it all in place and torqued before it starts to set. HondaBond is designed to seal case halves and I find it is very hard to clean up and can cause gaskets to tear. These are large long aluminum engines, they move, & expand and contract. It is my belief that the gaskets need to allow for this movement. If they are heavily stuck with sealant, they just tear and leak. I use very little sealant on most gaskets, just enough to seal corners and a super thin layer to help fill in scratches as the OP said. Hylomar, I dislike a lot. It is nasty to clean up and only seals well in gasoline situations. I will use it for gas tank flanges but that is all.
    Just my 2 cents. It is not the only way, just my way.

9. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    The nice thing about Hylomar is that is non-setting. I have had good luck using it with gas, oil, and water. The reason it can be hard to clean up is that it seal everything. IMO it's not a good idea to "glue" your engine together.

There is another product, Loctite 518, that is made just for aluminum flanges. Once you put the connection together, it's hard to take it apart in the future; but it won't ever leak.

10. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian