355 fuel pump gasket replacement is due | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 fuel pump gasket replacement is due

Discussion in '348/355' started by taz355, Jul 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Yes there is mate. And if the wires break off the only thing that will happen is
    1-the eng will stop.
    2-the fuel pump fuse may blow if the wires touch the case
    And that's it!!!!!!

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Unfortunately, arcing would be the big issue. Circuit breakers and fuses don't respond fast enough to arcing. That's why they fit "arc fault circuit breakers" on aircraft to help prevent the fuel tanks tanks exploding (as well as fitting nitrogen generators, pumps that don't overheat, etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800

Beetle likes this.
  3. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    No oxygen/air= no explosion, but should the fuel level be low enough, there is that remote chance in hell, pun intended.

Qavion likes this.
  4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes locking spring washers

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    yes but with only 3 cups of fuel and the vapor how big a bang. We need John to calculate the explosive force because I know I am not nearly smart enough.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Actually looking at the pictures again the red and black wires have no boots at the bottom of the housing. So it must be for something else or just part of the process when they make it, or perhaps to prevent damage when installing the pump.

7. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    This is the route I took as well. Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to design something on my own so I purchased a ready to go replacement kit from Scuderia Rampante. I'm not sure if the product is listed on their website but you can call them up and ask about it. My rubber gasket wasn't as bad as Grant's but it did show signs of deterioration. By the way, in response to the most recent discussion regarding the rubber boots for the electrical connections, the SRI kit does not come with them and Dave Helms stated to me that they are needed. Below are a few pictures of my original gasket and the SRI product that I installed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion and Beetle like this.
  8. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Sorry, I need to correct a statement above regarding the rubber electrical connection boots. It should have read: 'The SRI kit does not come with them and Dave Helms stated to me that they are NOT needed.'

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thank god I read yor first post and thought to myself Dave is smarter than that.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Which boots are we talking about here? There seems to be 6 on the pump. The terminals at the top will become uncovered and exposed to fuel vapours with still 10 (?) inches of fuel in the tank (quite a few bucketsful)

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Only 4 afaik. 2 at top like you said and two at bottom

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Anyone know the purpose of 17 from ththe diagram. Triangular rubber.

13. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    yes its an anti vibration gasket. they go brittle and perish like the main pump gasket. i just cut one out of some fuel safe rubber. works a treat

14. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    good pics. i have all the parts sitting around, just waiting for the time to do it.

15. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    TWA Flight 800 exploding due to a spark in the center fuel tank is as believable as Lee Harvey Oswald being the lone gunman that day in Dallas.

16. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Hey, I need to do this, I just drained my tank to check it and its crumbling.
    Did you change any of the other Orings? like #18 for the tank seal

17. bayferrari

bayferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    William
    phrogs likes this.
  18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes I did

19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I asked a question in the beginning about the vent tube that sits around the fuel pump
    Can someone confirm where it goes

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Anyone replacing fuel pump internal gaskets can you get a picture from the top which shows the plastic vent
    Thanks

Carmellini likes this.
  21. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Here you go, this is without the rubber terminal covers as I discovered two different sets of replacement items from @Ricambi America both swelled and disintegrated when submerged in fuel! I have to go back into my own car now and re do the fuel pump…

The plastic tube vent has to be aligned with the hole in the pump gasket so it can breath.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Who is selling a kit (or close to it) with parts made from upgraded materials for this job these days? Scuderia Ramparte or Ricambi?

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #48 Ferrarium, Aug 24, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    No one sells a kit that I am aware of. Can just look up part needed numbers. Last time some of us bought upgraded sleeves #153188 that were supposed to be ethanol safe, or so the accompanying verbiage said, turns out they were not and swelled extremely badly, like pushing the fuel up and out badly. Not sure if that has been resolved, I suspect not, the verbiage has been removed however.

I have a thread that has the part numbers as well as the steps and issues.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/fuel-pump-replacement.616651/

Targatime likes this.
  24. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

@Ferrarium et al -

I don't doubt that rubber pieces can swell in fuel. I am not disputing that whatsoever. There is so much garbage in the entire auto-parts supply chain, I would not be surprised to see some of these made from milk chocolate. Having said that....

On January 14 2021 (18 months ago) I went to the sleaziest, most scum-ridden gas station I could find in our city. That happened to be literally only 900 yards from my office, so it was rather convenient. I filled up a glass jar with the cheapest fuel grade they offered and then dunked a 153188 rubber gasket into it. The 153188 gasket is for 53mm fuel pumps.

Every month, for the last 18 months I have donned my sexy nitrile gloves and pulled the gasket out of the tank to measure for swelling. Here's the photo from today:

I have not measured the 35mm or 60mm gaskets yet today, mostly because its really hot and miserably humid outside. Last month, they too had exhibited <2mm of 'swelling', which, as you can see from my decidedly agricultural method of measurement probably has a margin of error. We purchase these in lot sizes of 50-75 pieces per SKU, from a US-based supplier. I don't know the physical manufacturing site of the item (I know, bad on me...) but assume it is offshore somewhere.

Could other garbage rubber be in the supply chain? Absolutely. Am I dunking everything into gasoline and measuring for months upon months? No.

What's my point in this post? I don't know.

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for caring to checking on those, typically why many use you to source parts.

For clarity, my post was more of a notice that folks should test them first is all, it was not an attack on any vendor.

The ones I saw swollen looked like they were inflated, swelled like 50%. The level of swelling you show seems reasonable.