The Purosangue Thread | Page 130 | FerrariChat

The Purosangue Thread

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by MDEL, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  2. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    jpalmito and MDEL like this.
  3. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    it's really like the Roma, SF90 and 296 got together one night and had a lot of fun together, 9 months later the PS was born

bit a shame that they didn't put more thought into it and created a stand-alone design, particularly at that price point

LMH, Forza Scuderia and Enzo Belair like this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Brookes (just an example) weighed his non AF car at 3938 lbs (1786 kg) wet. Other examples were up to 50 kilograms lighter, depending on specs. A far cry for the alleged 1886 kg...

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Right, as I said about 4000lbs

6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I believe the biggest effect will be shorter (but not zero) development times because no combustion engine involved (saves a lot of time and effort). In comparison there is no skill involved in buying off-the-shelf electric motors and battery packs, none, they are generic and out-sourced. Even the current crop of high end ($2M) cars are using basically identical powertrains (Battista, Rimac C2, and soon, Bugatti), nothing much other than "drive modes" to distinguish the drivetrains. The Evija using Nio (Chinese) 'in wheel' motors (which is a bad idea for lots of reasons, but if you never drive or only drive on perfect surfaces does not matter much) as a difference to the others. So which will Ferrari choose? Rimac or Nio or will they attempt to create their own remembering that they previously outsourced to Yasa for the SF90 and I presume the 296.

True enough Ferrari has some great chassis development, so I presume that will continue, that is if managing 2000kg+ in weight is going to be the same experience as a car 500kg+ lighter. I believe no matter what they do the tires will be heavy and truck-like because how else could it be, the centripetal forces of a 5000 pound vehicle at 200mph must be incredible on the tires.

As for the "powertrain" it will be generic, I doubt they will become some sort of paragon of electric motor development, especially when you consider there are a lot of others already doing this, yet they still all sound like a dentist drill or are mostly silent.

Oh, and word is Ferrari's first all-electric is going to be a truck (FUV like mode)...that allows them to hide a lot of failures in chassis development because it will not be an expected virtue of such a vehicle... Once they create an all electric car, well, that will be quite interesting to see how it handles in comparison to the best of the all-combustion era cars (front or rear mid engine) - I expect it to be very good in a straight line, but, not so good in the corners. I wonder if they will use Rimac's battery pack or at least its setup? They already sell their battery pack to Koenigsegg Regera, Aston for the Valkyrie and of course the Pininfarina Battista.
    https://www.orovel.net/insights/the-rimac-nevera-battery

That's my current speculation, not to mention I would prefer Ferrari to remain both a paragon of combustion engine development and chassis development...frustrating to see half of that disappearing.

7. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Modular platform a little lighter, but not huge in reality. The weight is obviously proportional to the wheelbase and varies a lot from one model to another.
    The weight was not an essential element in the specifications of the PS.

8. Maser GTS

Maser GTS Karting

Sep 18, 2011
    For what it is worth, my salesman said that Ferrari said that the previously released spy photos of the silver vehicle in the factory were of an earlier production version, meaning the final vehicle won't necessarily look like that. The Ferrari teaser certainly looks similar. Maybe the rear will be different than in the spy photos. Seems to me this is a "what do I have to lose" situation. In recent history Ferraris built to accommodate four people haven't been popular, though I know that people that have purchased one love it. Not sure what niche the PS will fall in, but maybe easier to say when it is revealed. Based on what I know now, I am less interested. Wouldn't a Bentley Flying Spur or Continental GT be a better choice? Last year I considered an AM DBX. When seeing it in person, the outside looked like a fancy Buick Enclave (the older version, not the new one), and I didn't see the value in it--a $225K vehicle. Maybe a test drive would have changed my mind, but my wife had absolutely no interest in it. I'm still hoping that Ferrari comes up with something extraordinary with the PS.
    Is the reason the factory isn't accepting orders on practically all models, so that it has time to reconfigure to manufacture PS? If not, what would be the reason for not taking orders? I was told that parts isn't a problem, though deliveries are hampered. I didn't think of it, but hearing it, it has a ring of truth--if Ferrari has quality issues with lower production cars (I can attest that front end cap of my F8 spider doesn't fit well--salesman says they are all like that), that will only get worse for a higher production vehicle.

9. maomaoferrari

maomaoferrari Karting

Jan 23, 2004
    Which is exactly why they needed this SUV model for the Chinese market, The majority of sales from luxury car makers in China is in the SUV segment, probably up to 70% of all sales are SUV models. But I feel that the V12 will have limited appeal here as it will be around 1 million USD here, in which case many will still choose to buy the Cullinan. There fore, I think the allocation of the V12s will be extremely limited, and the V6 hybrids will be the money maker.

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Is the consensus roughly 2000 V12 PS's?

11. Maggio23

Maggio23 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2013
  12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Today the following article has been published in several online publications…..

THE PUROSANGUE FERRARI WILL NOT BE FOR EVERYONE: THE MARANELLO SUV WILL HAVE LIMITED AVAILABILITY

April 13, 2022, 5:13 pm
    "Apparently having an SUV in the range has become a fundamental factor for every manufacturer, including those dedicated to sports cars. The Managing Director of Lotus has already expressed how necessary an SUV in the range is, in terms of sales, and soon Ferrari will also present its Purosangue, which, however, will not be for everyone.
    The segment that should guarantee dizzying sales (think that in 2021 the Urus sold 8,000 units and made Lamborghini's fortune) will in fact be limited by Ferrari, which will opt for a sales policy comparable to other vehicles in its range, thus making that the Purosangue remains an SUV for the few. There is no mention of a limited edition of course, but certainly exclusive.
    And the confirmation comes from the interview of the Australian magazine CarExpert with Dieter Knechtel, president of Ferrari Far East and Middle East, who, speaking of the planned sales strategy for the first SUV of the prancing horse, said: “It will be another model of the range, and even now with our range models there is no infinite supply. Therefore, we will be very careful to balance it correctly ”.
    Translated into other words, it means that Ferrari will use the same policy adopted for the other models in its range, so those who already own one vehicle in the meantime will have priority over any orders. In addition, any special versions will therefore become even more rare.
    And speaking of the Purosangue, we know that the Maranello SUV will most likely have a V12 engine under the hood. Well, proceeding with the interview, Knechtel added that the company has all the necessary tools to ensure that the iconic 12-cylinder can continue to live in the future, also because "the V12, our customers love it, and I think that we will carry it on for as long as possible ".

LondonParis and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. LuxRes

LuxRes Karting

Feb 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Fred Lloyd
    The V6 hybrid should be a good model for the Chinese market, but if 355day is correct they could skip the hybrid and go directly to EV PS. If Ferrari can't sell an EV SUV model influenced by it's collaboration with LoveForm in China, I don't know what they could sell.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

14. Ferro458

Ferro458 Karting

May 26, 2014
    I agree, they will sell as many of these as they can make, at any price up to $500K maybe. There is just so much demand.

15. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    FIRST THE V12 - According to the information collected by alVolante, the Ferrari Purosangue should initially be available only in the version powered by a new V12 engine (almost certainly hybrid) combined with all-wheel drive and, of course, the automatic gearbox. As is often the case with new Ferraris, priority will be given to the Cavallino's most loyal customers and VIPs for the purchase. Only later (a couple of years at least) will another version be available equipped with the original hybrid V6 296 GTB (but it could also be a V8, also hybrid) and the car can be ordered by everyone. There shouldn't be a pure electric version.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    what makes you think it's a V12 hybrid, none of the mules had a yellow triangle on it

17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    48V mild hybrid perhaps?

18. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    They always launch 4 seater with engine similar to 2 seat sports car.

FF then F12
    Lusson then 812
    So PS first with new v12 engine closely related to next v12 sports car.

So yes I also think it will be hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Jonathan19 likes this.
  19. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    lusso is V12 6.3 while 812 is V12 6.5.

i dont think the new V12 hybrid is ready for the PS yet

20. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    My understand is the V12 will be NA / non-Hybrid. With the first 2 - 3 years super exclusive to select clients and VIPs. I will be interest to see her highest ride height setting. If I remember correctly there was testing done in higher levels of snow.. So I think she will have a performance mode aka street mode and a rough terrain mode for lack of a better term for snow and rougher/muddy surfaces. Not off road by any means but a middle ground between the two. I also get the feeling there is going to be two models/version presented and I am not talking about a V6/V8 hybrid powertrain option either.

MDEL likes this.
  21. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    If true that it has NA non hybrid V12, then great!! My dealer told me too it will be non hybrid v12 but my thought is they won’t miss the chance to use PS as a test bed with front electric, rear v12 powered for further development. 4wd should have been easy to just reuse SF90.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Alvega and MDEL like this.
  22. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    The best way to sell the client base on an SUV/FUV as some don't want a bar of it currently is to go pure V12 and make it super exclusive IMO

23. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    you are correct, my Sf90 Af with carbon wheels and basicly every carbon option is around 1730kg.. which isnt light at all. So issume most sf90 are around 1800kg (no carbon wheels, lifter, much les carbon option etc)

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Full tank of fuel?

25. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Guess the new V12 hybrid will be first on the Laferrari replacement.

456-boy likes this.