Boot struts - upgrade or just needs new? | FerrariChat

Boot struts - upgrade or just needs new?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by 695, Apr 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The boot is a heavy one on the California and on our 2011 the struts are struggling to hold/lift the boot. Basically you need to have it almost fully open for it not to just close on it self.

Will a new set of struts be the fix or are the struts to weak from the start and in that case is there an upgrade set of struts?

2. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I haven’t looked into what’s available yet but I’m just beginning to notice this problem on my 2013 Cali 30. I’ve had the car for two and a half years and up until now the original factory struts have been plenty strong enough, so I’ll probably just replace them with OEM units.

695 likes this.
  3. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My thoughts as well, have a set on the way from Amazon. Will update if noticeably different

Bill Phillips likes this.
  4. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I just ordered a set from Eurospares, part number 80854400. It came out to $137 including shipping. There’s a YouTube video which shows that they’re extremely easy to replace, less than 5 minutes total, and that the trunk lid is much easier (one hand) to lift afterward.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

695 likes this.
  5. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, just pull the old ones off and press the new ones on. It's the Stabilus 013067 Lift-O-Mat gas springs, I got them from Amazon at €28.70 each including shipping. They are so cheap it was a no-brainer to try. Should have them on Tuesday as everything is closed for Easter here until then.

6. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The new gas springs just arrived and 30s later the old ones are out and the new ones are in. It is a noticeable difference. Cheap and easy fix.