Portofino M or 812 GTS | FerrariChat

Portofino M or 812 GTS

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Magneto, Apr 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Magneto

Magneto Rookie

Apr 13, 2022
    Full Name:
    Al
    Hello everyone!

I'm hoping to get some guidance from the crowd-conscience.

I have been looking for a Portofino M for a little while, unfortunately I couldn't get it new so I had to look at pre-owned with low mileage. I have found one with the specs I like and for a reasonable price, though I really don't like the color (Grigio Alloy 750) and the interiors (Blue Sterling). The dealer suggested to vinyl wrap it and suggested to let them change the interiors. I might be ok with the vinyl, but touching the interiors is a no-no.

At the same time another dealer reached out as they received a 812 GTS with less than 20 miles. Full-spec, so it's pricey, of course gloriously beautiful and everything.

I like the Portofino, I can deal with the Blue interiors but I don't know if it makes sense to wrap it or not, I don't even know how often the vinyl needs to be changed (I read 5 years?) and if it's a good idea to do it. I certainly love the GTS but I'm looking for a model that I can drive more than just over a long weekend and a little bit smaller in size. I can digest the price but I know I won't ever take advantage of its potential and power.

That said, what would be your expert advice? Wrap the silver Portofino or sink 560k in a new GTS or just wait any arbitrary amount of time for another Portofino M to come up the way I would like it?

Thanks for spending your time reading this!

paulchua likes this.
  2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Portofino is great when viewed alone, but if price isn't the deciding factor then GTS all day.
    • Flagship
    • Sound is incomparable
    • Road presence
    • Torque and throttle response
    • Long term value as possible final N/A V12 convertible

Boomhauer, 020147, ewright and 3 others like this.
  3. haithman

haithman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2004
    I wouldn't spend this kind of money on any car if I did not like the exterior or interior color - even if wrapped I will always be disappointed that I settled.

If you can swing the GTS there is no comparison.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander

JayEmm proposed it could be the greatest car ever made.

Doug. likes this.
  5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I would get a branded totalled GTS over a factory new Portofino (M or not).

ScottS, IloveGT, ryalex and 2 others like this.
  6. Bernie B

Bernie B Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2020
    Chicago, IL Area
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    You can daily a GTS. However, if you are only going to keep the vehicle for a fairly short period of time then the Porto probably makes more sense. You can deploy the $200K+ difference in a lot of ways,

A good wrap properly executed looks awesome (IMO).

7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I can’t imagine a new GTS for 560k as they are trading well north of 700k. If you can buy it at 560 it’s a no brainer. Matter of fact if you don’t want it PM me with the details.

JAM1, Boomhauer, IloveGT and 2 others like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Correct, GTS will be 650k+ depending on the spec.

Cigarzman likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome. My advice is don't compromise. If you're dropping this kind of coin - get exactly what you want.

Best wishes!

Caeruleus11 and Gh21631 like this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Don't buy a car, any car at these price points without at least liking the spec. In regards to wrapping, there is now colored PPF which is a much better solution than vinyl.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Bernie B

Bernie B Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2020
    Chicago, IL Area
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    What was the $560K number the original poster referenced? Just curious.

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Probably msrp

13. Magneto

Magneto Rookie

Apr 13, 2022
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thank you all for your kind feedback, there seems to be unanimous consent over the GTS and after all, you are right, there's no point in having to settle on specs I don't really like for what is, at the end of the day, just a pleasure purchase. So thank you for sharing your point of view.

@Cigarzman / @Bernie B I didn't mention that the car is in Italy (I live in the EU, not NA) so possibly without import tax the general price might be lower on this side of the pond, though I'm not familiar with pricing in NA. MSRP price for the specs I found it should be €450k / $490k, but the price I got from the car dealership is €510k / $556k so there's some markup. If any of you is curious to run a comparison, just PM me and I'll send you the exact specs.

@Bernie B my plan is to actually drive the car and keep it for a longer period of time rather than a short one, in fact my reasoning was that the Porto is somewhat more comfortable and being smaller in size it is easier to manage on more frequent drives. Thanks also for your input.

SirTony76, Cigarzman and ryalex like this.
  14. krash

krash Karting

Apr 14, 2022
    NJ/FL
    Full Name:
    Ryan K
    GTS, unless spending that amount of money is burdening thought, which is completely fair. The GTS might be the last V12 GT without a hybrid system that we see for a while, or ever. The value of that car is likely going to keep going up even with miles, especially on a highly optioned spec. My vote would be to pull the trigger, especially if the Portofino's spec isn't too tasteful to you.

Magneto and JTSE30 like this.
  15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    hey, you beat me to it!

Cigarzman likes this.
  16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    don't wrap the Porto M. Buy the specs you like. Patience pays off in the search of Ferrari, but remember once you find it, you must jump on it immediately. Too many stories of few hours later and it's already gone.

SirTony76 and randkin like this.
  17. Magneto

Magneto Rookie

Apr 13, 2022
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks for your feedback, I made an offer yesterday and I’m expecting a response next week, fingers crossed!

ryalex, Gullwing, krash and 2 others like this.
  18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    pictures later!

paulchua and Magneto like this.
  19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Um … no . Pictures now !

paulchua and IloveGT like this.
  20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    ok, where are the pictures!! :)

21. Magneto

Magneto Rookie

Apr 13, 2022
    Full Name:
    Al
    Here's the picture of the beast, though the chances of me getting this specific one are slimming down due to multiple bids :(.
    In a week or so I should have my answer :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11, ewright, ryalex and 2 others like this.
  22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Oh what a beaut. Fingers crossed!

23. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    How can one say no to a face like that?

Jeelani likes this.
  24. VinMe

VinMe Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Vincent Metzler
    In 2018 I ordered a new Portofino in Rosso Corsa, but actually wanted Rosso Portofino but this color was not available at the time I ordered it. So I went for Rosso Corsa and wrapped it in Portofino-like red after its delivery in 2019. I was happy, but not entirely because it was not 100% the color I wanted.
    Anyway, in 2021 I saw a 'used' (200 miles!) 812 GTS in Blu TdF and Cioccolato interior - I gave my Portofino back (with almost no loss on value) and bought the 812 GTS. The dealer sold 'my' Portofino within 1 week, unwrapped (= in Rosso Corsa). The wrapping helped preserving the paint, there were no scratches.
    So I guess I have the kind of experience you are looking for - Portofino vs 812 GTS; wrapping yes/no.
    My input: from a driving experience, I would say that the Portofino is more agile, less weight on the steering. The backseats are useless, when you use that space for extra luggage and drive with the rooftop open there is always the risk that light pieces fly away... The 812 GTS is more powerfull but heavier, making it more stable on the road when driving reasonably fast, but I personally prefer this driving characteristics. And the presence of this car is completely different from a sound, design and luxury point of view. Having only 2 seats available is indeed a luxury feature. I didn't regret 1 minute the change from Portofino to 812 GTS - these are quite different cars with different characteristics.
    Regarding the wrapping question, my 812 GTS is now also fully wrapped, but in transparent vinyl to protect the paint. It was clearly an advantage when I sold the Portofino, and although I don't plan to sell my 812 GTS for any reason, I believe that a good paint protection adds to its long-term value.
    Hope this helps a little bit!

25. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    The 812 is not much larger than the Portofino, about 3” in length and 2” in width larger.