What are these brakedisc bolts? | FerrariChat

What are these brakedisc bolts?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gillis Haasnoot, Apr 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    I am adding some wheelspacers to my f430 and noticed these 2 bolts in each wheel inserted into the brake discs.
    Can i simply remove them? See the picture below. A long metal thing screwed in. And a normal bolt. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I would guess the stud was put there to assist with aligning the wheel when putting it back on to prevent scratching/nicking the inside of the rim or caliper. I don't think the hex cap screw has any purpose.

On my other cars, they use 1 flat head screw to prevent the rotor from rotating on the hub when the lug bolts are temporarily removed. My Ferrari does not seem to have such a screw.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes..you can remove them.

4. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    They're just alignment pins, they're not needed.

5. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    Thanks. I have removed them. Indeed no issues. With the spacer you automatically have to align the disc against the hub.

6. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Because Ferrari uses a threaded hub and wheel bolts, there is a secondary alignment bolt to ensure the disc stays on the hub. They are not necessary, as they are aligned with the lug bolts once you install them, they do also assist with aligning the wheel.

Several other manufacturers that use wheel bolts, mostly German, Will use a flat counter sunk bolt to accomplish this, most US and Japanese vehicles use a wheel stud and nut so they are not necessary to maintain brake rotor alignment and prevent it falling off of the car when removing the wheel.

It is possible for the rotor to become misaligned if you do not have the pins installed, just use caution when removing the wheel and ensure the rotor is properly located when reinstalling the wheel and you will have no issues.

Need4Spd likes this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    With the Type 2 spacers he is using, not a problem since the adapter is bolted to the hub and the wheel to the adapter.

Tegethoff likes this.
  8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    " adapter is bolted to the hub and the wheel to the adapter"

Terry is right - only smart way to go.

very dangerous otherwise.

About 10 years ago PAP found this out and almost did quite a bit of damage to his 348 with Type 1 spacers when bolts holding the spacers broke!

9. OwenFrost

OwenFrost Rookie

Mar 26, 2023
    Full Name:
    OwenFrost
    I'm glad you asked this, I've been wondering about those bolts for a while now. It seems like those bolts you found are there to help align the wheel and prevent scratching or nicking on the inside of the rim or caliper. As for the hex cap screw, it may not have any purpose, so you can remove it if you want to.

10. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Personally I would not use that spacers. The spacers is threaded and the lug bolt is threaded into the spacers. This is significantly less strong than factory. The factory is steel hub. Usually the torque rating going into aluminum is less than going into steel as it is much easier to strip aluminum thread especially when it is hot. It would be better to have a stud that is pressed into the aluminum spacers. Better yet, get a long stud conversion and a lug nut. Porsche kit fits the Ferrari well.

11. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Very bad style of spacers; what Andrie said. Don't use it. Get longer lug nuts and regular spacers where the lug nuts thread into the steel factory hub, through the spacer.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hill Engineering Type 2 spacers have hardened inserts, unlike those that are just threaded aluminum. Much prefer that to longer wheel bolts. Have been using them for nearly 15 years.

13. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    It's probably ok... for cars and coffee meetings and occasional freeway burst to 90 mph .. but hey, your car and your money, so... :)

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, mine and I trust Paul Hill more than you.