Gearbox oil and Change on 599 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gearbox oil and Change on 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by Superkart78, Jul 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Generally, flushing is the only way to get rid of almost all of the old oil. With two subsequent changes you will likely have removed most of the old oil. I personally would say that this is somewhat overdoing it, but I am one of those guys, who believe that gearbox oil stands longer than indicated by the factory (normal use of the car assumed).

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bernard- Most of the gearboxes you are familiar with do not have pump driven lubrication, but splash lubrication.

jorge da cruz likes this.
  3. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Just had my 599 (at km 44k) at the Ferrari main dealer for the 40k km (mayor) service. Discussing the gearbox oil issue I was told that a change is scheduled according to Ferrari for the 60k km service and then every 60k km. They did not recommend to change it more frequently....

Aside scheduled work only new front brake pads were recommended (and fitted). And I will have to get new tires in the near future. I like reliable and uncomplicated cars ... :D ;).

I got the car returned a week ago and am still waiting for them to send me the invoice ... :D.

Cheers, Bernhard

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #29 tazandjan, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bernhard- According to the Ferrari maintenance schedule, that is only half the answer. The transaxle oil should be changed every 3 years or 60,000 km (37,500 mi), whichever comes first. So unless you drive her 20,000 km every year, it should be changed every 3 years. Here it is in black and white.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jorge da cruz likes this.
  5. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Correct, Terry.

Since my cars are permanently stored in a quite constant climate (heated in winter and cooled in summer, low humidity, monitored, throughout), I tend to disregard the time period criterium ;). The danger of internal humidity condensation, if at all, thus seems rather very limited.

Brake fluid is another issue, of course, since this stuff is hygroscopic.

Cheers, Bernhard

6. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    #31 jorge da cruz, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Mate you should search on internet buy and use "SHELL TF 1055" SAE 75W90

gearbox is all interconnected with the rear diff all use same oil should change every 30-35 000 Kilometers/ 3 years --- Also F1 Hydraulic oil should be changed + Shell DONAX UB-YB DOT 4 BRAKE FLUID + GLYCOSHELL Blue color Anti-freeze radiator liquid..

I DO SO but the F1 is the complicated as it Needs Leonardo SD3 software - monitor tool for readjust after bleeeding and refill- NEVER DO SO OR TRY
    I Think ...

The other fluids a good mechanic can do it change..

I Did the other fluids ... Only F1 I did at Maserati service center in Madrid - Their best mechanic was before in Ferrari so I follow the mechanic Did that in 2019 September

7. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    On interval you can got on up to 50 000 - 60 000 kilometers my mechanic says so in Madrid but I do every 3 years ...
    a ferrari mechanic spots a kind off round sticker glued on gearbox by the fill plug every color means the kilometer interval change done blue red etc - in Europe.

8. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    MATE

The gearbox oil is:

THE Shell TF 1055 75W90 oil the one Just search/ Buy it on internet

Gearbox and rear Diff inter-communicate and have the same oil.

Just check the diferencial oil filter and "o" ring you can dismount clean put it back with a new "o" ring

9. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    Folows what TAZANDJAM Advice about it isf it is not the original oil but NEVER THAT 140W

10. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Yup change the fluid at service intervals. Found this in the filter. Have to jack the diff up to clear the cross member about 1.5" to clear per service manual on a 612. Made a filler/5mm level tool for the hydraulic system. Not hard but like every thing on these cars, time consuming.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Note that the F1 and manual transmissions for the 599 (and all Ferrari F1 models) are identical except for the clutch and shifter mechanisms. They even use the same throw-out bearing, but with different seals, one for brake fluid and one for F1 fluid.

12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Not strictly true- throw out bearings are different- slightly different bore, and different return spring and end travel setup between the manual and F1 versions. Oh, and the F1 version has a metal block on the side for the PIS sensor. I think it’s just a legacy thing from older Ferrari’s that used a manual setup- the functional differences (other than sensor block) are so marginal as to be meaningless.

On 360/430, you literally can just swap over the seals- viton used on f1 cars, and EPDM used on manual cars.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- Thanks, did not realize they had changed that on the 599. They are identical on the 360, 575, and early 612s, so bad assumption on my part.

14. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I just changed the gearbox oil on my 612 this weekend- managed to get the filter out ok without needing to move the 'box off its mounts just by rotating so that the flattest side was facing down (where there is least clearance).

I found some of the same stringey stuff in my filter too- was wondering what the hell it was, but its the little bead of sealant that gets squeezed out the sides of a joint. I'll bet that all our cars have some of this floating round their gearboxes!

F3RN4ND0 and Anthony James like this.
  15. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    The local Ferrari dealer sold me Pakelo DLS 7590 75W90 W/AD gear oil for my 599 transaxle. This is a full synthetic 75W90 GL4/5 made for limited slip transaxles. Apparently, the Shell TF 1055 (specified in the workshop manual) is not available to the dealers. I assume/hope that Ferrari has tested this product for use in the superfast F1 transaxles. Anyone have experience or comment on this?

16. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I cannot get mine out. The F1 accumulator blocks it. I can’t rotate it due to the cross member. 2008 599

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    This is for a 612, maybe the same? From the Ferrari work shop manual.

Attached Files:

18. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Thanks man! Seems easy enough

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat