Details…Details | FerrariChat

Details…Details

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Chizz, Apr 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Hey Guys,

Part of my pride of ownership is washing and detailing my own cars. I have hired companies in the past but I’m always happier with my work.

After years of trial and effort and many different products I wanted to share a detailing product with you that I use on my cars. I am getting phenomenal results.

1. I first Prerinse then wash my car with McGuire’s Gold car wash. Microfiber mitt.
    2. Dry with a high capacity back pack leaf blower. (Never dry by hand)
    3. Apply this product: Reload with one microfiber towel then polish with separate towel
    4. Apply wheel dressing of choice. I use Mcguires.
    5. Then put on your sunglasses because your car will shine like crazy. Beads water and resists debris for days depending on use.
    This is my wife’s car but when I get my F8 back from PPF and ceramics I will use the same technique. The 911 is PPF’d and ceramics.

Reload is perfect for coated cars and PPF.
    The pictures done on a cloudy day and still shines like crazy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Enzo Belair, VAF84, Graz and 8 others like this.
  2. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    Thanks for the info and write up! I have used CarPro Reset, which is a car wash. Just one small cap full in a gallon bucket is all that is necessary. I have been very happy with the results so far. Based on your review, I will try the Reload as well. Your car looks great!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Chizz likes this.
  3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Agree on Reload. I use it and it’s mentioned quite a few times in the Showroom and Detailing sub forum.

You always need to look at the surface from different angles to make sure there isn’t any streaking. But the finished surface glistens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Chizz likes this.
  4. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I will definitely try the Reset as well. Thanks for that tip.

5. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Agree. Works best after ceramic…..

Chizz likes this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Use Reload every few months or so at most. Use Elixer after you wash for detailed wipe down.

Chizz likes this.
  7. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    To be sure, Reload is only be used on cars with ceramic coating. I read on the "internet" that it is not advisable to use this product on a car with a wax or other than ceramic coating. Chizz - can you please verify. Thanks.

Chizz likes this.
  8. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    https://www.carpro-us.com/protection/carpro-reload-500ml-17oz/

9. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    CarRo Reload is a sealant. You can use it as a drying aid. Sealant adheres better to ceramic coating or just painted surface.
    Ceramic coating last more than a year (up to 5yrs with prosumer products, and 9yrs with professional ones). Sealant is usually 3-6 mos and wax is up to a month or so. Rule of thumb is not to put longer lasting coating on top of shorter lasting one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Chizz likes this.
  10. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Do you guys use a buffing wheel? How do you use it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    No buffing wheel necessary. Just a couple of microfiber cloths and a little elbow grease

12. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Exactly right!

13. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Can it be used over ceramic coats with ppf ?

14. krash

krash Karting

Apr 14, 2022
    NJ/FL
    Full Name:
    Ryan K
    Hey, this isn’t about the detailing, but is the F8 in your profile picture Blue Abu Dhabi?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Hey bro, no it is TdF

16. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Sent you PM

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    But mate your a physician !!!!! You should know how dirty tap water is. Grit , chemicals , Chlorine , Fluoride etc . You gotta used properly filtered water and have all the crap removed so you dont get water spots :)

I found filtering the water has better results as all I have to do is blow the car down.

TR007, Chizz and AD211 like this.
  18. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Love it!

MANDALAY likes this.
  19. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Yes this technique is becoming more common. My detail shop calls if adding a “sacrificial layer” to the coating you can also use these solo on paint (and I think on top of PPF most of which now add ceramic to the film).
    I do find it a bit of a rabbit hole. First we correct the paint, then put film on the paint, then ceramic on the film and now sealant on the ceramic. Of course then we make sure to limit our miles, never drive in inclement weather, and sell the car within a year or two when the next model is out. I mean I do it too but it does sound ridiculous when you spell it out. Lol

c8spidey, AD211 and Chizz like this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Looks nice. Gyeon Wet is still my go-to sealer. Super slick and stupidly fast and easy to apply.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Challenge and Chizz like this.
  21. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    I visited a new local car detailing shop in my home town recently. I have had my car one year now. When I purchased it I had the car fully wrapped and ceramic coated - by a different shop that was closer to the dealership. My car is garaged and I have power washed it probably 8 or 9 times over the past year. I use CarPro Reset. After seeing a few posts about "blow-drying" the car, I purchased a corded leaf blower that I only use for the car. With the ceramic coating, the water easily blows off. I then use a microfiber for some of the more difficult spots to reach.

While the owner of the local car detailing shop had every incentive to sell me some new service, he said that since the car is garaged, does not experience harsh sunlight/rain/snow for extended periods of time, the ceramic coating should last several years with virtually no maintenance. And, the Xpel PPF is "self-healing" so I should have no issues with the film.

When I mentioned my cleaning routine, he said about the only step he could recommend would be to periodically use Xpel Ceramic Boost, which I purchased for less than $30 and tried this weekend. It was easy to apply and left an incredible shine. Unfortunately, I cannot compare against other products on the market. My thinking was since the product is labeled under the Xpel brand, I should be ok with the expectation of not having issues with the Xpel film, and the price was in line with other similar products.

Not the greatest photo of the shine but you can see the reflection of my other car and me trying to stay out of the reflection while taking the photo.

jm2, Bandit23, AD211 and 2 others like this.
  22. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    very nice result and beautiful car!

Level7 likes this.
  23. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What do you use to wipe interior down?

24. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    I used to use Reload and Reset. Good products but expensive and I think better products out there for less money.

Jax Wax Graphene Detailer instead of Reload (its not just a detailer. Has longer longevity than Reload)

Jax Wax Graphene soap - excellent soap and a bargain if you get the gallon size

I still use Car Pro PERL for interior. Nothing better. IN between I use quick detailer to wipe down my interior.

I make quick detailer by diluting Wolfgan Uber Rinseless wash to quick detailer specifications. Either this or ONR (Optimum) rinseless dilluted the same way.

My process is

Rinse car with pressure washer

Foam Car and wheels

Use Wheel Woolies to contact scrub the wheels

Rinse car

Contact was with 3 oz of soap in bucket with 5 mitts in it. Dirty mits go in another bucket

Rinse

Blow dry with leaf blower

Touch up with Detailer spray

Thecadster likes this.
  25. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    Since I have only had my car for one year, the interior is virtually spotless. I periodically wipe down with a microfiber towel and a vacuum. I swapped out the floor mats for some that I purchased online at much less than the Ferrari option pricing for F8 mats.

I have been thinking about some type of product to use on the leather, but have been hesitant to try any without a specific need. DiamondDog mentioned CarPro PERL, which I will look into.