The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | Page 25 | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    No argument here, the mid year Corvette takes the prize. It is a perfect design, through and through.

I wanted one badly at one point and finally located a perfect specimen. Then I made the mistake of driving it.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Lol, yeah. Funny to think that "sportscar" was the term which defined that boat. Slow and wallowing all over the place, and god forbid you'd ever had to come to a swift stop:D

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Rexcat458 and wthensler like this.
  3. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    There's a very simple solution to this.

Buy your new Corvette from a Chevy dealer and then have it serviced by your local high-end independent dealer.

No need to worry about warranty work done through a dealer by the well-heeled...you will gladly pay out-of-pocket for the privilege of associating with society's finest.

That way you don't have to deal with all of the lay people/riff raff/plebeians that only have one vacation home, have less than three Pateks, and are not well versed in the intricacies of tannins with respect to the astringency of the world's finest wines.

You will also get to be surrounded by people who stroke their self-worth by how unique (and expensive) their cars are while boasting who has the lowest mileage and who drives their precious collection pieces the least.

Good grief...o_O

ryalex, JV's89 and Phil~ like this.
  4. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Your post is ridiculous. Again, tomato tomahtoh. Different strokes for different folks. The car is equally important as the brand to many. And just so you're aware, I've never met ANYONE that even remotely resembles the stereotype you spewed out through any Ferrari network. In fact I'd say the network I've met is the antithesis of your statement.

5. Wikdstrate

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    "You won’t get the same feeling nor will you get preferential treatment when you visit a Ford or Chevrolet dealer."

"The one time I went to a Chevy dealer to check out a Porsche 911 I was lucky that they could even find the key to the car yet alone let me sit inside of it or God forbid test drive it unless I was “pre-qualified.” The young kid who was attempting to show me around the 911 knew next to nothing about it, in fact he didn’t know much about the C8 Vettes that were sitting on the showroom floor as well except for the fact that they were going for “$30k over sticker.”"

These are direct quotes from your post.

You're painting with a very broad brush and it came off as a very elitist post.

Phil~, Tony91505 and Boomhauer like this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 agree

SVR likes this.
  7. harrish1985

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Intention wasn't to come across as an elitist, I am far from that. My apologies if that's how it came across. Cheers.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    A Ferrari or Rolls Royce dealership experience should be more “white glove” than a Chevy dealership. The people working there should be more courteous and knowledgeable. The clientele should be more interesting. I would consider that to be so obvious it doesn’t need mentioning let alone being rebuked for pointing it out.
    Is that elitism? Then so be it.

ryalex and Thecadster like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Have to agree. And while what I am about to say might hurt a few feelings with some, the notion that the "caliber" of people you meet at the exotic dealerships are vastly more interesting and useful, is total B.S.

When looking back at what kind of people I have met as clients the automotive industry, I can safely say that the worst and most pointless have been in the exotic world. Let me just stress that it is far from everybody, but in general I have not fund myself having much in common with many, nor have I found them to be very interesting or with a lot of depth. Many have been very shallow, boring and with little to no knowledge of cars. I have also found a fair share to be people who should be financially savvy or know how to handle relationships and encounters, to be completely incapable of this. I have encountered the ego strokers at various events, where the hubby was preoccupied with talking car values and the wife was blabbering about boarding schools suitable for their pride and joy. As little as I might have in common with Buck and Earl trying to sell me a Chebby, as little do I have in common with some of the well-to-do dead heads I have encountered.

The point is that we can find fault everywhere, and the size of a car collection or amount of accumulated wealth often tells very little about people. Some "kid" might not know a hell of a lot about the 911 or C8 he is trying to sell, but that is no different than the "kid" trying to sell you an exotic. I have experiences more SA's at high end dealers who knew as little as the clients they were dealing with. Why bother if people don't care? I've actually witness an SA in a French Ferrari dealer having to ask a tech whether the 812 was turbo or not - and that's far,from the worst I have encountered in terms of sheer ignorance on the part of a dealer rep.

Dealerships are defined by their employees, not the marque. There are VW dealers which work better, look nicer and treat people better than the exotic dealerships in their area. There are also exotic dealerships who will go to the moon and back in order to see you satisfied.

A single visit to ANY dealership of ANY marque will NEVER tell the story about the value of the clients, the brand or other associates of either.

I like down-to-earth people who are fun to be around, no matter their bank balance, car collection, watch on their arm or size of house. There are ignorant idiots everywhere and I try to avoid them like the plague, as they will only make your life miserable.

Rant over, soap box free olif anyone else needs to vent:D

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

gabf1, ryalex, Phil~ and 2 others like this.
  10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Then you should hang out with our car guy group here, and the people I meet through our local dealer events. Nice, down to Earth, successful, interesting careers either as entrepreneurs or professionals. Lunch conversations are very enlightening and I’ve learned a lot from them across a wide swath of interests. Many of them are here contributing as well, and you seem to find their contributions interesting.
    Look I get the whole “just because you have money you’re not great” schtick. However, the person who mastered his/her field and built a successful business is more interesting than the person working the line of same company. I’d rather chat with a brain surgeon than a landscaper. Though, I’ve been put off several lunches by the trauma surgeon in our group sharing gruesome pictures as I try to eat my Reuben sandwich. :)

harrish1985 likes this.
  11. Wikdstrate

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Wow! That's quite a generalization. o_O

Just because someone has mastered their field or makes more money does NOT make them a more interesting or a more well-rounded person.

I've had plenty of more satisfying conversations with my landscape and hardscape guys than I've had with my referring Doc's. I've found most of the Docs are very knowledgeable in their particular field of expertise but can be socially awkward/inept. Many are sh*tty parents because they are never around and have no clue about work-life balance. Can't tell you how many of these guys have kids on cocaine that think their actions have no consequences.

The guy that owns the hardscape company that did my pool, tennis court, firepit loves to put elitist Docs in their place. He makes a Doc's yearly salary every single month.

Trochlea likes this.
  12. Wikdstrate

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I couldn't disagree with this more. Simply selling a product that costs less does not give one an excuse to be less courteous or less knowledgeable about their product.

People with more money are inherently more interesting than those that earn less. Hmm...:rolleyes:

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Wow. Talking about painting with broad strokes.
    Did I say someone has to be “well rounded” to have interesting conversations with?
    So, your entrepreneurial guy that OWNS and has BUILT his very successful company is an interesting person to talk with...exactly as I stated and whom I would no doubt enjoy a conversation with, thanks for enhancing my point.
    So you have interacted with some socially awkward physicians...so what? Did I say all physicians are better company than non-physicians?
    Your approaching this with an inductive reasoning schema...you have a bias against what I said for some reason and your trying to cull together anything you think might agree with it.

Generally, the people who have had great success have done so through making more right decisions than wrong, they have taken chances and succeeded where others have not, they have knowledge and experience that can make their conversations and friendships more interesting. Doesn’t mean it always be the case though, and I never said that.

As I mentioned my car group generally are very nice and very interesting people doctors and lawyers, business owners, engineers, who because of their intellects and success also enjoy a whole range of other interesting things to do from flying to traveling, boating, collecting art, etc.

harrish1985 and SoCal to az like this.
  14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

If you had to go on a month long cruise with 1000 people buying only at a Chevy dealership or 1000 people buying only at a Ferrari dealership and had to mingle with them daily for meals and cocktails which cruise would you take?

15. harrish1985

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Lmmmffaaoo this is a classic. I’ll be the first to vote and I’ll go with the 1000 guys from Ferrari. Almost everyone I’ve met through the exotic community is some type of entrepreneur and almost always ready for a lunch dinner etc at the drop of a hat since they make their own schedules. I’ve made more friends in the 2 years I’ve lived in South Florida through the exotic car community than I could ever have imagined. True, genuine good people who are amazing to be around.

italiafan likes this.
  16. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    C8 owner = baby boomer with a internet connection who thinks Twitter is a news source
    decline

17. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!

Something about glass houses and stepping in one's own ****.

18. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    This is what I’ve seen at the track among C8 owners. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    C8 owner

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SoCal to az likes this.
  20. harrish1985

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Lollllll you guys are too much

21. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I get where you are coming from, but eh. You can't really paint such a broad brush. Some of the most insufferable people I have met are some young exotic owners.

Check out this comparison between gearheads:

One is a classy car guy. One is a pretentious prick.

One loves all things mechanical. One loves the badge and the prestige said badge brings him.

Which one would you hang out with?

I wouldn't use someone's choice of car to discern how interesting they are.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  22. Ultima RS

Ultima RS Karting

Apr 4, 2022
    If Chevy wants to go up market they're going to have to do something about their dealer network. I wouldn't even let them change the oil in my truck much less work on anything I cared about. Corvette needs to either have designated dealers or move their base of operations to Cadillac.

23. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    We were shopping for a car for my wife. She wanted something she could beat up as we are in the process of building a house so temporarily, her car would be parked on the driveway for a year or so and she is going to be doing tons of runs to tile shops, flooring shops, hauling around samples etc. So we looked at some fords, Chevy suvs and I swear, if I see another sales manager in an oversized suit trying to upsell me on crap or tell me how their car is so much more valuable than what msrp is Im going to punch someone. Every time I left one of these idiot chevy dealerships, I felt like I needed a shower.

harrish1985 and Ultima RS like this.
  24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Off topic, but that ship has long sailed on this thread. I had similar experiences at local Ford dealers, some no longer in business. At one, their front parking lot was full so they valet parked my car. We got into a discussion about a car in their showroom and they basically held my car hostage trying to talk me into buying.
    A chat with most finance managers at dealerships is eye-opening. They are often the best salespeople there, and some subtly or not so subtly up-sell you or bake in extra profit via financing. One was amazed at my credit score and told me he mostly deals with people with far lower scores. I found that sad. You don’t have to be rich to have a good credit score, but manage your personal finances well. Evidently quite a few don’t.
    Back to topic, the Z06 C8 will have an epic sound track and is still an amazing value without a huge ADM. Too bad they won’t be sold that way. That, and historic steep depreciation, plus the dealer experience, has kept me from ever getting one.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

harrish1985 likes this.
  25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well-- I agree and I don't. For sure Chevy dealers from my experience with the C8 is lacking. You're nothing special and sometimes I felt like they just didn't care.

Although I've had very good luck with Ferrari dealers, they are still not on the same level as Lexus. And if you're planning on buying a DD like a Roma or the new SUV, its going to become even more of an issue. You can get one hell of a Lexus SUV with outstanding customer service for a fraction of the cost.

Bottom line -- both need to improve