348 Engine blew 367 days after last major... | Page 12 | FerrariChat

348 Engine blew 367 days after last major...

Discussion in '348/355' started by axarunner, Mar 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    The tech thinks I over revved the engine causing the shim to pop out. I like/prefer your description of what happened.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Mark HT likes this.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    As Brian says shims don' just pop out from revving. That is bone dry, over revving does not cause no oil flow, in fact the opposite. Definitely not a correct diagnosis, as you know, you were there not over revving. You got a new used engine, does that include the oil pump etc or was it a short block? I ask as what ever the cause is, it has likely not been addressed.

[​IMG]

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not a chance. Oil starvation Period.

26street and Mark HT like this.
  4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He must be a tech. Techs are brainless idiots who change oil. Mechanics understand how cars work and a mechanic would never say that. Next time you talk be sure to quote me.

The shim popped out because the valve bent creating a huge space and an unusual type of lobe strike allowing it. It was secondary damage.

26street, Mark HT and 19633500GT like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you read my other post there is a chance you can get Ferrari to pay for this. Careful disassembly and evaluation by someone with a brain needs to be done.
    I think clogging of the oil restrictor to the head is very high on the list of possibilities here. The other is a cam end plug falling out and that is negligence on someones part too.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Can head gasket be put on backwards blocking oil passage on these cars? Have a gasket right here but it poring out so I cant get to work shop to try and put on the block backwards without sloshing though mud.

axarunner likes this.
  7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Are you trying to win a guessing game. Knowing the engine and not cluttering this would be a good thing.

axarunner likes this.
  8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #283 Ferrarium, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    Seen that happen on other cars, but it blocked coolant passage actually. Anyhow, I went and checked, no you can't put them on backwards and those oil ports on the gasket bosses are indeed small.

axarunner likes this.
  9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There are no oil ports on the gasket bosses...whatever a gasket boss is. There are head alignment dowels and one on each side has a small oil passage.

axarunner likes this.
  10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes the head alignment dowels, which until you put the head on functions as a gasket boss, it makes it impossible possible to put the gasket upside down which is not true on all cars, go Italy! Note to self inspect those oil ports. Good clarification, thanks Brian.

Attached Files:

axarunner and 26street like this.
  11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Is it possible to put the front cam cap on backwards on a 348? (I mean rotated 180 * in the horizontal plane.)

axarunner likes this.
  12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You can put all of them on 180 out, there are no directional pins, bosses, dowels for them. They are numbered and they need to be put back on according to number with the numbers in the same direction as far as I can recall, Brian can comment in specifics and nuances I am certain.

axarunner likes this.
  13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, exactly. They are reamed when first assembled w/o the cams mounted. I was think that if the front one was put on backwards and that could result in misalignment and cause the binding and scoring, and ultimate seizing of the cam.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

axarunner likes this.
  14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #289 Rifledriver, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    Yes you can and I see it pretty regularly. Not say it can't happen but never seen this result on a Ferrari motor. The cam bore job is close enough and swapping bearings is common enough I really think I'd have seen this outcome before and I have not. On this one there is no oil present even around the cam followers or the cam itself. I have seen this a number of times and would really be surprised if not an oil starvation situation which is not all that uncommon. .

The entire area is dry. No baked on on oil residue, no oil at all. No oil behind cam seal, no oil around cam followers, nothing.

Oil is fed to hollow cam at rear bearing. Back of cam has alloy pipe plug that is famous for falling out. There is a TSB on it. If it falls out it starves front. Also the oil passage pictured can get plugged. Then there are all the other reasons oil starvation can take place. Like I said, this bearing is the end of the oil feeding system.

axarunner likes this.
  15. uber2

uber2 Rookie

Jun 1, 2020
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Kasra A.
    On pic #3 you can see it has correct direction before removal.

axarunner likes this.
  16. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    On way home from an oil change... then suffer a catastrophic failure due to oil starvation?? Where there's smoke there's fire?

axarunner likes this.
  17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Interesting, thinking how an oil change can cause this, its plausible someone remover the filter, then wiped it down with a paper shop towel, a bit falls off or the rag had particulate/sand/grime/dirt of sorts or grime falls off the filter while removing and goes into engine then blocks the oil passage. One of the holes where the filter is provides oil back out post filter.

Not saying it happened but if one were to work backwards and it was post oil change, its something to be considered perhaps.

Personally I do not believe classic coach believes it was over revving, Not for a second, they knew it was oil issue, but they all look out for each other. I mean that cam looks like it was baked dry. Even if you know nothing about cars, one would say. "shouldn't there be oil here"?

axarunner likes this.
  18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Great, now I need to yank my rear cam covers and look at the stupid plug obsessively.

axarunner likes this.
  19. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    I wasn't thinking near that level of conspiracy... more like forgot to fill with oil and started up let run then perhaps realized the issue after some time... OR some variation of similar chain of events... i.e. under fill, no fill, you name your favorite oil change oops... most places don't have their best talent draining and filling oil.

axarunner likes this.
  20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The area was bone dry when it failed, Brian is correct on oil starvation. That's not a conspiracy that's a real possibility btw. Oil filter was old and disintegrated also is possible I suppose. If you ever open one up its like newspaper in there.

axarunner likes this.
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No. Once in the cars life all 3 plugs need to be removed and reinstalled as outlined in the TSB. Then it is put out of mind.

It surprises me how many still have not been done and how many are still around with Delco alternators. Solid evidence of poor quality service for at least the cars first several years. Ferrari gave away the alternator conversion kit for years after the cars were out of warranty. Every one I touched for a long time got a free alternator and conversion kit. And everyone with the covers off got the plugs fixed.

axarunner likes this.
  22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I got the 140 amp alternator kit on mine. But the Roller bearing TSB was not done. Again to your point very spotty. When re-installing those plugs was there a specific thread sealant that was outlined for use?

23. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    It’s very clear there was no oil at the cam bearing or lobes but the tech should be check further to see where the oil stopped circulating through the engine—— how does the rest of the internal parts look ?????

I would like too know if it was my car so that if it was something that could have been avoided on my part I will be more cautious next time

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

axarunner likes this.
  24. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    So the tech thinks that the valve floated knocking the shim out and locking the cam lobe to the head as seen in the pic ——- that’s a hard one to believe but again things can happen—— there’s not a lot there to support that everything we are seeing points to oil starvation ——

again at what point did the oil stop flowing how does the rest of the engine look ????

When the last major service done did they replace the cam seals and over tighten the cam bearing caps if they remained them ????

It’s sucks that you have these problem but not really investigating the cause will only leave you worried about it happening again even with a new engine — too many unanswered questions just to move on —- at lease for me if it was my car and too say it was my fault in the way I was driving knowing I didn’t over rev the engine is not a answer (REALLY!!!!) I have beat the snot out of my cars —— broke a lot of parts, over heated, melted brakes pads and a-lot more but never locked up an engine so dig deeper

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

axarunner likes this.
  25. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    Oil pressure was ok that I recall. What’s my recourse here… tech says I over-revved yet the consensus is the lack of oil to the cam bearing caused the problem.

I have detailed photos of the oil being added to the sump by a very experienced A Ferrari tech.

What should the oil pressure be at idle… and again at 3,000 RPM?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat