Engine out, need advice | FerrariChat

Engine out, need advice

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kartboy1234, Apr 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Hey everyone. My 87 TR is due for it's engine out. I was going to have a mechanic remove the engine for me then I'd take the engine and body home to restore/cleanup stuff in my garage. Well I don't really have a good way to transfer the engine and body home. So here is my dilemma,

I am mechanically inclined and just stupid enough to think that I can tackle the removal. I have quick jacks and have read various threads on removal.

How would someone rate the remove of the engine? It just seems to be about removing bolts, and lifting the car high enough. It doesn't seem to have any tricky bits in that regard.

Anyone in LA want to help?

Thanks for the input, I am leaning toward removing it myself but would like to hear input from people who have removed it without a 2 post lift. I have quick jacks, floor jacks, and lots of tools.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

2. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    lagunacc and 66MK like this.
  3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    You will want to get a cradle under the engine that is on casters. I used 6” casters on 6” of lumber with about 3” of adjustable jack screws. Add to that the height from the bottom of the frame to the top of your plenum. That number is approximately the height to which you will need to raise the car measured at the top of your rear bumper. In other words, a quick jack may not have sufficient height. That said, I think(?) folks have done it.

It takes time, lots of PIA crawling around - but is pretty straightforward. The shop manual has a good set of instructions to follow.

You’ll need big wrenches for the oil hoses. IMHO, tie-back the ac compressor rather than drain.

The ‘tricky’ parts center on the water pump replacement (hydrotest!) and cam timing. Lots of folks here will weigh in with suggestions. Just go slow.

peteficarra likes this.
  4. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Thank you very much for the insight. Could the engine be dropped onto it's wheels and then rolled back? Or is it better to remove the wheels during removal?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as I often have written: I only remove the engine to the top. so I can push the car where I want and the car not block a hoist. also you can reach all at the engine. when you remove the engine with the frame then you later have to remove this engine also from this frame. so work for nothing.

peteficarra likes this.
  6. peteficarra

peteficarra Karting

Jun 22, 2010
    ontario
    Full Name:
    peter j ficarra
    I agree with Joe, I have no lift and even if I did I'm 6,4 and could not use it anyway. I had a friend who used a tractor with a bucket, chains and straps to lift it out with no problem at all. Sat it on a cart so I could roll it around, it is about 800lbs so it must be a sturdy cart. Remove the shift rod or you will be sorry, tie up the compressor and carefully cut the gas lines at the nipples. Do not pull on them, they are Aluminum.

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    To add to Peter’s words…. cut the gas lines in the middle, well away from the nipples. Remove engine. After the engine is out, go back in and carefully cut the gas lines away from the tank’s nipples.

peteficarra likes this.
  8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I’ve seen it both ways here on fchat.

Personally, I use a cradle.

This may help:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/83958-major-2016-tool-time.512996/

If you search “83958”, you’ll find all the details….

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Degree of difficulty:
    Removal, about twice as difficult as removing the F355 engine.
    Cam timing, about 5x more difficult than cam timing a 355, 10x more difficult than cam timing a 360 with its infinitely adjustable set up.
    Water pump, an absolute pain in the ass of a design and 10x more difficult than any replace-as-a-unit water pump design. Triple test this before the engine goes back in or you will take the engine out again.
    Hint: Don't just hammer in the seal. Make a press (yes, make a press) and press it in.

Tools needed:
    Big ass wrenches with big ass cheater pipes.

While in there:
    Replace oil radiator. Impossible to do with engine in.
    Rebuild any oil lines that show signs of leakage
    Replace the heater hoses, at least the ends.
    Replace ALL coolant hoses on the firewall
    Replace thermostats, just buy new ones.

66MK and Qavion like this.
  10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I was going to make two caster plates that can attach to the engine-less car and push it around if I need the lift space.

11. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes you can leave the rear wheels bolted up, and rig up a swivel castor to mount to one of the front frame attachment points - like a big tricycle. I have done this a few times with no issues.

12. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Just read my previous post - I need to clarify. I've done a few engine-outs working without a lift or power tools. I have taken the motor out a couple of ways:

1) Get the car up in the air and set on 4 heavy duty jack stands - this takes quite a bit of work. Then lower the motor out using a heavy duty motorcycle jack.

2) Unbolt the motor, then raise the car up off of the motor / cradle - and roll the motor out the back. This is how I prefer to do it, but the car is not movable afterwards unless you rig up some castors as you mention.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Cut gas lines?????? I just loosen the clamp the way you are supposed to and take them off.

You guys sound like you work in a junk yard.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Why on earth would you remove the engine from the sub frame to service it? Nothing is in the way. Not only are you working way too hard you are burning a mountain of hours doing it. No wonder bills get so high. No one is using their head.

lagunacc likes this.
  15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Loose clamp does not equate to loose hose.

Once the engine is out, it is easy to carefully slit the hose along the length of the nipple. That will allow removal without any stress on the nipple.

Loosen the clamp and yank an old, hard, form fitting hose sounds somebody working a flat rate.

turbo-joe and peteficarra like this.
  16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You are an idiot. It is on a steel pipe easily reached at the engine end. I just slide them off.

You are too stupid to know any of that .

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I never said that to remove the engine from the subframe because of a service. I only said if you have to do this ( for example repairing the gearbox ) it is double work to remove the engine with the subframe, better to take it out to the top without subframe. much less time consuming.
    and sure only for service you can do all work when the engine is with the subframe.

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    brain, even you are one of the most and best experienced guys here, this is no reason to call someone an idiot

ShineKen, jjtjr, NeuroBeaker and 3 others like this.
  19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Sounds like Brian is in a bad mood…. again.

turbo-joe likes this.
  20. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Brian’s our “Dr House” in the TR world. I appreciate his input.

stalwart, lagunacc and bernieb like this.
  21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I also appreciate his input - if it is factual and not offensive

22. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Maybe I'm a sicko but I nearly spilled my drink laughing at his comment. Perhaps part of Brians' calling is to help people develop thicker skin. The world needs it. When he takes his occasional sabbaticals it leaves a big hole in our forums. I will grant that he almost outdid himself on this episode though. Always appreciate his inputs and broad knowledge. On this website you ain't nobody 'till Brian Crall calls you an idiot. Cheers!

stalwart and lagunacc like this.
  23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You sure did.

"as I often have written: I only remove the engine to the top. so I can push the car where I want and the car not block a hoist. also you can reach all at the engine. when you remove the engine with the frame then you later have to remove this engine also from this frame. so work for nothing."

We were talking about a service. Not one word about trans work.

lagunacc likes this.
  24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He is. And intentionally misrepresenting my statement. Butt out.

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Too many no nothings with really bad advice.