348 Engine blew 367 days after last major... | Page 13 | FerrariChat

348 Engine blew 367 days after last major...

Discussion in '348/355' started by axarunner, Mar 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I haven't paid attention when in idle, but half-way or slightly lower....at 3,000 it should be slightly past half-way mark

axarunner likes this.
  2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think you should contact Rifledriver privately/directly and get advice on how to pursue this. As he noted in this very thread (and I've seen some of his other threads with the same info), he has experience with Ferrari covering the bill on certain matters.

Rifedriver, sorry if I am speaking out of turn by suggesting he contact you directly, but the worst that can happen is you will say no :) - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My guess it it's too late at this point. Evidence is gone. Yes it threw a shim. That was an effect not the cause. No way classic coach did not notice the oil starvation. Just no way. Why they did not tell you is the question. I mean you know you did not over rev on top of that. In theory pictures early on may have helped the cause, I would have gone over there and argued for you, the evidence is in the pictures. But after the fact the water has long flowed under the proverbial bridge.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

bjwhite likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Evidence gone? Where did it go? If the head is on and the oil filter on its still there. But not if some Gomer keeps ripping and tearing.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    He got a used engine, bottom.end I read. I suspect parts were then canablized to put the new short block back together to full. So his engine is a mix of 2, what's left in terms of evidence is anyone's guess is all. What was used from what for what's is anyone's guess I would venture to guess. OP can clarify this aspect but post definitely says he sourced a used engine, I thought it was a short block.

axarunner likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    So then you are guessing?

Why buy a shortblock? A shortblock has no heads. A left head is all he really needs. And not even really that. I have seen far worse heads repaired.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #307 Ferrarium, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    Ohh I agree with you. But no I'm not guessing it's in the post up top.

Because he was told piston strike with the valve could have bent the crank so he bought a new used motor our of caution. Classic coach sourced one for him.

The shop recommended and he went along which is what most who are not mechanically inclined would do, no fault there.

axarunner likes this.
  8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    By the way, just so you know. This is why everyone here wanted pics when you first started this adventure, not months later after you shelled out big bucks for the rebuild/replacement. Because the failure description seemed suspicious, pics would have been the only thing to tell the tale. And months later, they certainly did.

26street likes this.
  9. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    To litigate this early on would have required proof of fault by the shop that did the oil and filter change. They had photographic evidence that they did that properly (I was shown this before driving the car out of the shop). Litigation requires the costly hiring of an attorney and experts, plus the loss of the use vehicle, to what end? On the potential of a positive outcome of an expensive trial? Only the attorneys and experts win and I’m still left with a car that needs to be repaired.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

10. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Let’s hope all is good after the repairs and that he enjoys the cars for many years

This was a bad situation from the start and all involved knew it was going to be very expensive repair but in the end it’s the owner who pays the price

Yes he can fight to try to get someone else (who should be accountable for the problem) to pay for it but any business will just give you a break on labor and make you wait a long time for the car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don’t know the bill of the replacement engine but get the point- it’s a shame classic coach is giving the bad diagnosis given their reputation. What shop did the original oil change? The best recourse here may be knowing where to avoid in NJ.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yeah I think the point is nobody's saying the failure was because of the oil change. Sue the bastards. I'm not.

It could have been just something else that perhaps Ferrari may have covered. One thing for sure the failure was not an over rev and the thrown shim. That was in effect. The cause is related to oil starvation. Now what caused that is the question.

Really crappy diagnosis by CC, and as I said, no way they did not know this. I mean that whole area is baked dry from heat. However bad it is in the one or two pictures you know it was 10 times worse in person. Probably smelled burned too. Super obvious.

26street and bjwhite like this.
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You completely missed my point. :)
    But yes you got the car back. Enjoy.

axarunner likes this.
  15. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Does anyone have a copy of the TSB mentioned above for the cam plugs. I have a major coming up and would like to make sure it has been completed. I searched but couldn't find anything. TIA :)

Zamboniman308 likes this.