328 Condenser Fan Thermo Switch | FerrariChat

328 Condenser Fan Thermo Switch

Discussion in '308/328' started by surfdwn, Apr 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. surfdwn

surfdwn Karting

Sep 28, 2005
    Freeport, Fl
    My A/C has had a variety of issues. I got everything working, but the condenser fan would not come on, even with 12V applied directly to the fan wires, so I decided to upgrade to one of the SPAL fans I read about on FC.

When I replaced the fan, I noticed the thermo switch in series with the fan. Mine was tie wrapped to one of the condenser pipes, but it had slipped and was hanging in free space.

I went ahead and removed it and installed the new fan. I then tested the switch and found it to function correctly. The fan now comes on as soon as the compressor does.

Is this switch necessary? I assume it's purpose is to let the system get up to temp before turning on the fan, but the implementation of the switch was poor, if that is from the factory.

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    One of the fans has a thermo switch related to the radiator temp; the other turns on with the compressor.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's maybe more appropriate to say that its purpose is to run the AC condensor fan only when its needed (and not run it when it might be helping to ice up the evaporator). When the coachwork is moving at any reasonable speed (and it's not super hot out), the AC condensor fan probably isn't needed.

Having this thermoswitch "tie-wrapped" to the AC Condensor outlet pipe is a bit cheesy/hackery, and really can't work correctly as it can't keep it in intimate, forceful contact to the metal pipe -- the stock attachment is a "spring" metal clip that works well to keep it in intimate contact always under force:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/61942400

surfdwn likes this.
  4. surfdwn

surfdwn Karting

Sep 28, 2005
    Freeport, Fl
    Thanks so much. I have ordered the clip and will reinstall the thermo switch.

5. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    The switch was originally held on with a metal clip. When you fit the clip use some heat sink paste to get good thermal contact between switch and pipe. The switch measures the refrigerant temperature and switches the fan on as required.
    As Steve said, the fan isn't required when moving as the natural flow of air through the condenser will keep the refrigerant condensing.

surfdwn likes this.
  6. surfdwn

surfdwn Karting

Sep 28, 2005
    Freeport, Fl
    I had planned on using the paste. I just used some on the heat sink for the blower transistor I replaced.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He was talking about a 328 condenser fan, not 308 radiator fans. System is all different.