2010 Cali crack in side moulding, repair or replace? | FerrariChat

2010 Cali crack in side moulding, repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FrancisK, Apr 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Broke my heart to see this the other day after washing her. No idea how it happened, definitely didn’t hit anything or bottom out on anything. I’m thinking maybe it was already cracked from the previous owner and driving it on Michigan roads made it spread but who knows.

Well regardless its there, taking the car to the dealer tomorrow to extend the warranty but also going to ask them for a price to fix it. I’m sure they will want to replace the whole thing for a silly price but I will find out regardless.

Is this something you guys think could be repaired or is this something which would need to be simply replaced?

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I bet a good, high end body shop could make that look like it never happened for a fraction of the price Ferrari would want.

tomc and FrancisK like this.
  3. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

That’s exactly what I wanted to hear and also what I was thinking. Trouble is finding a good shop here in Michigan, not even sure what I should be searching for it’s not like “exotic car body shop” turns up anything…

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'd check with the folks in your local FCA or the appropriate regional forum of F-chat to get recommendations...T

5. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Great idea thank you!

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    As odd as it sounds, muscle car guys usually know an excellent body guy. I have had a couple clients use muscle car body shop guys for there Ferraris and they did really great work. They were reasonably priced as well.

FrancisK and tomc like this.
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What is that piece made of? Plastic?
    T

8. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

I would assume so, it definitely isn’t carbon fiber.

9. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I had similar issue happen to my 458 rocker panel caused by dealer when I got talked into puddle lights. The vendor basically jacket the car up but not at the correct spot and cracked the panel from below. It was made of fiberglass and repaired by a local body shop that did fantastic work and paint match (rosso corsa) is perfect.

tomc likes this.
  10. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    Okay so listen to this, I’m at the dealer now and showed it to the tech to get a price for the repair and he said it’s not a crack it’s just the plastic cover on it and it should buff right out!

I asked him 3 times to be sure but yea he’s 100% sure it’s just the plastic! Totally dodged a bullet!!

Xrayv8 likes this.
  11. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Cauley Ferrari is made up of great, honest people, who really just want to help others. Glad to hear!

FrancisK likes this.
  12. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Yea really good people there all around, that’s always been my experience!

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sweet! Best outcome possible.
    Now drive the doors off that F-car!
    T

FrancisK likes this.