458 - Loud Noise when Slowing to Stop | FerrariChat

458 Loud Noise when Slowing to Stop

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by EssereYUL, Apr 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EssereYUL

EssereYUL Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Pat A
    Hey all. Hopefully this is the right forum to ask a question - was finally able to post a new thread. I'm new here, and relatively new Ferrari Owner. My car is a 2011 458 Italia and I'm stumped with a noise the car makes. Hoping someone in this forum has experienced this or has some thoughts. When rolling to a stop, I (sporadically) get this very loud noise, seems to be coming from the rear. It only happens when rolling very slowly and coming to a stop. It seems to stop when the vehicle is at a full stop. I uploaded a video here... I can't tell whether it is brake system or gearbox related (or something altogether different). This doesn't happen every time, which makes it more aggravating. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Hard to tell . sounds like the ABS system .. could be that a sensor ( bad) makes the ECU think you are slipping ??
    Did you change rims / tires or anything to non factory size .. is the air in all tires ok ?

3. EssereYUL

EssereYUL Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Pat A
    Thanks, flash. Everything is factory, and tires should be fine - just had new tires put on by Ferrari not too long ago (although per your suggestion, I will make sure to double check the pressure). No warning lights either. My uninformed impression is it sounds like a "pump" of some sort. Possibly ABS, possibly Gearbox. Anyhow, appreciate all thoughts/ideas. Given this is not reproducible on every stop, it's helpful to have as many ideas as possible! Thanks!

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If all the easy stuff checks out .. i would think the ABS pump is kicking in somehow thinking one wheel is not rotating or thinking car is slipping sideways
    Best think is map using a tool all the sensors having to do with ABS .. quite a few . and see what measurement is not accurate

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    It sounds like the electronic parking brake tensioning system attempting to function.

I'd try resetting the car by disconnecting the battery and then following the reconnection procedure in the manual.

You might also use the tool in the tool kit and see if you can manually engage and disengage the parking brake and/or see if it's even working using the switch to the lower left of the dash.

Ray

flash32 likes this.
  6. EssereYUL

EssereYUL Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Pat A
    Thanks Ray, that’s another good suggestion. Appreciate it. Plan to bring it in later this week and will bring all these possibilities up…hopefully it’s in fact brake related (vs gearbox).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Good luck on getting everything sorted out. The DCT gearbox is pretty robust. Generally, the only issue with those is sensors failing inside them, but otherwise they are nearly bullet proof.

Ray

8. EssereYUL

EssereYUL Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Pat A
    Good to hear that. Will be taking it in tomorrow. Will update the thread when I learn more.

9. Malchsedik

Malchsedik Rookie

Feb 28, 2019
    Munich
    Full Name:
    Hewad
    According to my approval shop, this problem is known for the first produced cars. He said it’s the oil pump inside the gearbox. I should try to record mine noise and then the workshop can send the issue to send to Ferrari as my car have still a warranty.
    I am curious for what your shop will say.

10. EssereYUL

EssereYUL Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Pat A
    I drove over to one of the most reputable shops in my area, where the lead technician spent 20 years at Ferrari. It was difficult for him to diagnose without hearing it live for himself, but he will forward the video over to his contacts at Ferrari and check with them. I offered the explanation you gave and it seemed to pique his interest. Would you mind telling me where you are generally located and what shop you are speaking with? It sounds like they may know something and it would be helpful possibly if they could provide any more information on the specific issue and fix? Thank you for any information you can provide!

11. Malchsedik

Malchsedik Rookie

Feb 28, 2019
    Munich
    Full Name:
    Hewad
    I sent you an PM

12. EssereYUL

EssereYUL Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Pat A
    Just a quick update on this thread. I spoke with the head technician at my local Ferrari shop. He drove the car with me in it, and unfortunately could not reproduce however I had captured enough video of the noise occurring on several occasions. Again, always happens in Auto, and always when downshifting into 1st. He believes it is gearbox related, and specifically, the hydraulic pump. He feels this is a "hydraulic resonance" noise. His first recommendation is a gearbox flush, fluid change, and cycling through the gears. It's Step 1. If it continues, unfortunately things become much more complex (and expensive) thereafter. Will update again post the flush. Appreciate everyone's input with this.

13. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Do you have a power warranty?? I have never heard this noise, but my trans failed to the tune of a $40k replacement w/ a new box. Thank God I had the warranty in place....

14. EssereYUL

EssereYUL Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Pat A
    No but spoke to the Ferrari dealer today about doing the necessary inspections to get approved for the “15” which would give me a few more years.

15. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    15?

16. EssereYUL

EssereYUL Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Pat A
    Sargepug likes this.
  17. EssereYUL

EssereYUL Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Pat A
    Update: Promised I would be back with more information if I got it. After Ferrari recommended a get a new gearbox, I found a great shop willing to look into the issue further. Got the car back today, drove it for several hours, and so far, could not reproduce the noise. Hopefully, it stays this way, and will update either way. For those of you who are curious, here is a verbatim from the work order on the diagnosis and fix:

"Client states there is a buzz noise when quickly shifting from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop. Happens intermittently. Diagnose and advise. Pulled gearbox DCT gear oil filler and found severely overfilled with intermixed gear oil and DCT fluid. Fount DCT side severely under filled. Noise coming from air pumping through DCT system from low fluid. This was caused by failed drive gear seals in intermediate case. Removed transmission and disassembled. Cleaned and replaced failed seals. Rerouted wiring harness in accordance with updated factory specifications to reduce friction points. Inspected harness during process and confirmed good. Reassembled transmission and resealed with silicone. Reinstalled in vehicle. Filled gear and DCT oil. Performed multiple road-tests to confirm repair and that noise is no longer present."

Boiler Inspector, flash32 and iMrMark like this.
  18. iMrMark

iMrMark Karting

May 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great result! Kudos to the shop and tech :)

19. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Where are you located and which shop did you go to?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. EssereYUL

EssereYUL Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Pat A
    Bay Area. Best mechanic in the Bay is John Heim at Patrick Ottis Co. in Berkeley. Can’t find a more meticulous professional.

Are you having the same issue? Just curious.

21. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I get a vibrating sound when the car is stopped. Last 2-3 seconds at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat