Door Vents Falling Off | FerrariChat

Door Vents Falling Off

Discussion in '612/599' started by JM280z, Apr 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Anyone find a way to secure the vents on the top forward part of door card, interior vents opposite of side mirrors. Appears there’s just a small tunnel they’re supposed to click into but mine are loose and rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
  3. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Perhaps some electrical tape over the ledge at one end and around the post which inserts at the other?

4. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I did something similar, but with double sided gorilla tape.

I looked up parts diagram and there is no insert that holds it.

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    clear silicone will hold them in place

599_GTO likes this.
  6. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Ah, great idea! Make a little cup and glue it in that hole, fill that cup with silicone, then that little tab would stick into that cup. The “cup” would be the size of a couple tic tacs, it’s that little hole on the aft side of the vent that goes into the door card.

I wouldn’t put silicone around there and let it drip into the middle of the door, so would need a little thing to catch it.

7. ducatiguy

ducatiguy Rookie

Aug 10, 2021
    Ohio
    These really just push into place and pressure fit? I figured that post on the end would have taken a screw from inside the door card?

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That was my thought too.

9. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    They don’t stay in place. Maybe they did at one point but not after 15 years.

10. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Old thread, but had the same problem. I just used velcro tape ( 1 side on slot and other side on actual little vent) and it is staying put.

Maybe just a little gap between it and the window (1/4"), but at least it doesn't move anymore

JM280z and George Vosburgh like this.
  11. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Works for me too. Keep your leather conditioned to prevent stretching/drying/shrinking too.

12. pj57

pj57 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Great timing for this post! I just picked up replacements for my heat distorted and cracked door vents. I was not sure about the installation as the underside of the part has a round opening that looks like it would accept a screw. Figured I would have to remove the door panel to access, but if you guys think it is press fit into place, I will proceed accordingly. Thanks for any tips. PJ
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. pj57

pj57 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Well…I went ahead and removed the vent. As you can see in the attached photo, there is in fact a screw that attaches the vent from the underside through the round opening on the underside of the vent (you can see the tip of the screw peeking through the center of the broken round black plastic that was once part of the vent). That might explain why your vents are coming off. Perhaps they were replaced at one time and never screwed in. The question for me is whether to pull the door panel off to remove/install one screw or…make it fit without the hassle. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

AlfiePotter and Skidkid like this.
  14. pj57

pj57 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    …the anal part of me is telling me to do the job the right way. I’m hoping to access the screw by removing the door panel insert rather than the entire door panel…will keep you posted.

15. pj57

pj57 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
  16. pj57

pj57 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    …hopefully I can get a screwdriver up there once the center panel is removed. Based on the distance, it looks promising, but this is a Ferrari so there’s probably something in the way. Stay tuned…

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Let us know. I suspect I need to remove panels since my panels are CF but still would be nice to know, see prices.

18. pj57

pj57 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Will do! FYI, the carbon fiber inserts are removed the same way as the leather inserts (without having to remove the entire door panel). See the attached YouTube video.

Skidkid likes this.
  19. pj57

pj57 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Hey Folks! Sorry about the delay reporting back. Removal of the window vent was relatively easy by Ferrari standards. You only need to remove the dirt panel insert and not the entire door panel. Once you’ve got the panel off, you’ll see the head of the screw in the upper recess of the door panel.

I highly recommend using a magnetized screwdriver so the screw doesn’t drop somewhere you don’t want it. It’s tight quarters so I found myself twisting the screwdriver blindly once the tip was seated in the screw. After the screw is removed the vent tips up from the rear (the screw side) and is easily removed. Here are some photos to help make sense of it all.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Skidkid likes this.
  20. pj57

pj57 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    p.s. that can’t be the original screw…flat head with a flat washer? Somebody’s been here before…haha

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Nice and thank you. I am going to have to tackle this one pretty soon.

22. pj57

pj57 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    typo…”you only need to remove the dirt panel insert and not the entire door panel” - can’t stand auto-correct! Hopefully the interior of your 599 is spotless! Umm..you only need to remove the door panel insert…

Skidkid likes this.