Roma 24 hour test drive | FerrariChat

Roma 24 hour test drive

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by charles irwin, Apr 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. charles irwin

charles irwin Rookie

Feb 27, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Charles Irwin
    #1 charles irwin, Apr 21, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    We just got to drive a 2021 Roma for 24 hours. Nice car, beautiful outside, inside felt very fancy. Very fast, it was faster then the Portofino (I say this because right after the Roma test drive I drove the Portofino and not nearly the same. Don't understand why, I was told it had the same power.

I liked the main guage screen, did not like the tablet screen in the middle. One problem with the back up screen in center cluster, if you turn the steering wheel, you can't see the sceen.

Anyways, if anyone has any questions, I would be happy to answer.

Attached Files:

migg48 and mar76 like this.
  2. mar76

mar76 Karting

Mar 17, 2022
    How did it compare to the Portofino in terms of comfort?

3. charles irwin

charles irwin Rookie

Feb 27, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Charles Irwin
    I thought the comfort was about the same. I liked the center screen better on the Portofino, but i liked the center screen of the Roma better. If I was buying one over the other, I'd pick the Roma.

4. AlexBen

AlexBen Rookie

Dec 8, 2019
    Which sound did you prefer?
    And Did you find the back seats similar in term of size / usability?

5. Patron4

Patron4 Rookie

Sep 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ronsard Daniel
    What exactly did you not like about the tablet screen?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. charles irwin

charles irwin Rookie

Feb 27, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Charles Irwin
    I think the sound was the same between both models and the seat sizes were the same.

7. charles irwin

charles irwin Rookie

Feb 27, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Charles Irwin
    What didn't I like about the tablet? Let me first start off and say these are all little things but together they are annoying. The angle of the tablet is set so both driver and passenger can reach it and see it, but because of this it gets a bad reflection off the sun if the sun is in the wrong spot. Volume control for the radio is hard to adjust when you are driving, its a bar with less volume on one side and more volume on the other. You can push those one touch at a time, then wait several seconds for the radio to accept your command or you can put your finger on the bar and slide it back and forth to where you want the volume again with a several second delay. Doing all this while bouncing up and down while driving is not easy. I would say I miss a knob for this.

Patron4 likes this.
  8. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Use the volume control on the steering wheel.

SV

9. charles irwin

charles irwin Rookie

Feb 27, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Charles Irwin
    really, no one told me about that? on the left or the right? I thought the one on the left was windshield wipers and the one on the right was cruise control.

10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Behind the left steering rib. Small ribbed barrel switch.

SV

honda corse and JHNurse like this.
  11. JHNurse

JHNurse Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2021
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Andy King
    I use that all the time! Along with the one on the right to advance tracks….

Andy

12. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1 I have NO issues with the telematics of the Roma. Once you get used to it, it's quite good.

JHNurse likes this.
  13. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Opposite opinion - I went to test drive and order a Roma, and came away underwhelmed. Two days later, I test drove the PortoM and fell in love with it. Order placed last Nov.

What I did not like about Roma - Haptic Touch controls (unsatisfying and difficulty operating controls while driving), useless rear seats (in PM you can at least use it for short distances with top down). What I liked about PM - felt more aggressive / urgent than Roma, beautiful analog tach, buttons and knobs, engine sound even better when top down, more masculine aesthetics with angry nostrils on hood.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. dpholyoke

dpholyoke Rookie

Dec 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    David Holyoke
    As someone who owns both, there is really no comparison between the Roma and Portofino M — the Roma wins hands down. It’s visually more pleasing externally and internally. The cabin of the Roma is more spacious and comfortable for both driver and passenger. As someone who has put over 3k miles on both, the Roma is definitely louder, and I know it shouldn’t but it always seems to give more when I stomp on the gas compared to the Porto. The tech is very easy to use and any complaints about lags has been overblown and resolved through software upgrades. And to be clear, no one in their right mind is sitting in the backseat of either of these cars unless they’re a child. The Porto’s only real advantage is that it’s a convertible. And for some, that’s a big difference maker so if that’s what you like, then go with it. It’s a fun car, especially on beautiful days. It’s why I have one, but otherwise, the Roma wins. And if they do make a Roma Spider, nobody is going to be on here raving about the Porto anymore. Finally, in the real world when I drive them, the Roma gets at least 10x the compliments.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

haroonmd, Patron4, Mickyd329 and 3 others like this.
  15. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I assume the Roma is quite a bit lighter (no roof mechanism to lug around). This could account for a difference in acceleration feel.

16. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    It looks good in white. I saw a black Roma recently; I think lighter colors may be better on the Roma.

17. Soleith

Soleith Karting

Dec 30, 2020
    Surrey, UK
    About 100kg difference in the Roma's favour, not huge but not nothing, however I suspect the main difference in accelerative feel is in the different gearboxes. Believe the porto is a 7 speed while the Roma has an 8 speed which is lighter with faster shifts. They may have shortened the length of the gears to give greater acceleration. The two things in tandem probably account for the different feel.

spaghetti_jet likes this.