If I don’t secure a GT4 allocation, would I be crazy… | FerrariChat

If I don’t secure a GT4 allocation, would I be crazy…

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ivan Drago, Apr 24, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    If I don’t end up securing a GT4 allocation before Porsche ends production, would I be crazy to think about getting into a F430? Nothing else seems to really excite me in the sub $130k price range. That’s my budget (I should have paid more attention in school, I know).

I suspect that I will secure an allocation, but I always like to think ahead. I love a NA engine (send that baby to AA if you catch my drift), and what’s better than Ferraris famed V8? I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a tad worried about reliability on such car, as I would track it a few times per year, but it is what it is.

Every Motorsport fan has a soft sport for Ferrari, and I love the F430 (well, I love a lot of Ferraris to be honest). Maybe I’ve just been watching too much F1 this year and this is all a pipe dream that I’m trying to force, who knows.

In any case, I appreciate your time and I always enjoy reading the threads on here, learning the ins and outs of these beautiful machines and the owning/driving experiences from you guys. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    I would take a 430 any day and all day Sunday over a GT4. Put a lot of miles on a 981 GT4 and I think the 430 beats it for experience hands down. Only place I’d pick a GT4 would be the track.

catdog likes this.
  3. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    Are you talking about a GT4 or the GT4 RS?

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I have a f430 and 981 gts. I’m a huge fan of the caymans. I went gts instead of gt4 so I could fit 18s on for winter wheels.

Objectively my 981 is the better car. It’s smaller, lighter, more tossable and feels more connected. Braking feel is better too. Sound is great. Practical things like build quality, convenience with the 2 trunks, and reliability are no comparison. I haven’t spent any money other than scheduled maintenance for the 6 years I have daily driven it, rain and snow. Only downside is not enough low down torque, so if ur caught in the wrong gear, you may be waiting for a while. I have a 6mt, so not an issue if u go pdk.

F430 tugs at the heart strings. Super car looks, amazing sound from bark at startup, growl at low revs and howl at redline. Even though it’s 15 years old, it’s still got too much power for the road. Whenever I open my garage, im still caught off guard how beautiful it is and that I actually own it! It always feels like an event driving it. Surprisingly it’s a smoother ride than the 981, we’ve done long road trips on choppy roads in total comfort. Unlike the 981, it’s been pretty pricey to keep in tip top shape, despite nothing actually breaking.

If you’re on a budget or it’s an only sports car, gt4 all the way. If you have other cars and need some weekend adrenaline, f430.

5. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I have copied my original 24 hour response to my F430 over my prior GT4 back in 2017. Hope this can be of some help. These comments still ring true and if anything speaks for itself is that I still have the F430. Have added a Cayman S for the wife though so get to enjoy a little of what the Gt4 was still. Only caveat I would add is that if this is a daily driver I would lean more towards GT4. The F430 is an amazing vehicle but the GT4 is better at DD duty. I wouldn’t be to worried about maintenance either it’s better then any bmw I’ve ever owned. Only Porsche that may sway me is a GT4RS but even then I’m not sure.

“I ended up going with an F430 with an OEM scud bumper Rosso Corsa over Tan/Black leather. She just got delivered last night after a arduous 1 week delivery wait and all I can say is I could not be happier. I am so glad that I choose the F430 over the Gallardo there is just so much more brutality and emotions with the F car.

Now I know I have only had the car for under 24hours but I am currently feeling this is the best car I have ever owned. The main reason I was wanting to get rid of my GT4 is that it was to similar to my S2000 and in day to day driving I would always rather be driving the S. I owned my GT4 for almost 2 years and put over 16,000 miles on her. While I loved the car she was just very anemic and not very exciting driving around city streets. In the mountains she was a blast and just infallible to be hones just to easy to drive. Anything you could throw at her she would just take with little thought. Now this was a blast at first but overtime this also took some of the excitement out of it. I was never able to take it to the track but I know this is where the car would shine.

Engine/Performance:
    For the Ferrari it is just perfect words can't really describe it but I will do my best. Where the GT4 was anemic on the street the 430 feels like its cranked to 10 all the time. I have never owned a car that felt like it kept edging me on to keep giving her a little gas. Power wise and power delivery are just leagues apart. The F always wants to jump ahead no matter what rpm you are at and don't even get me going on the crescendo of sound to red line. The GT was ver flat until about 5.5-6k rpm's and that is where she really opened up, but still no where near the pull of the F. While headers helped the GT with the low end it still doesn't compare. The also GT4 sounded amazing to any exhaust/header configuration. I currently have an S Line exhaust on the way but I am not sure I am going to keep it. The stock car sounds so good and is a lot louder then I was expecting. I will install the exhaust to see how I like it just not sure how much better it could get.
    Point: Ferrari

Suspension:
    The GT4 was more like an NFL professional line man, very hunkered down and perfect at its job. While the F430 is more in the likes of a College Wide Receiver, still very competent and always on its toes while at the same time isn't perfect. Now I haven't had a lot of time in the 430 (no mountain runs yet) so this won't be a 100% accurate. Like i stated earlier driving 8/10 up in the mountains in the GT4 is very easy and can take anything you throw at it without a hiccup. The F430 to me feels like its on its tip toes the whole time while still being very competent. Its very nice to get back into a hydraulic steering rack just can't beat it for out right feel though the electronic rack in the GT4 is very good. As for road feel the Ferrari just edges out the GT. The steering is sharper and lighter in the 430 while the GT is very direct and heavy. Turn in is pretty comparable between the two but the 430 just kind of dances in while GT just plows through. Another thing is the 430 currently has Michelin PS A/S3 so the tires are not in the same category as the CUP 2's or Super Sports I had on the GT4. Currently debating going for RE-71R for the 430.
    Point: GT4

Transmission
    The 6spd manual in the GT4 is pretty damn perfect and the only car that I have driven that would best it is the S and its not by much. The F1 gearbox I think is amazing I love the quickness and brutality of each shift just brings so much of an occasion to the car. Know I am a manual lover through and through but currently I have 3 manual transmission cars with no automatic in sight so the addition of the F1 is a god send for me on those days I don't feel like driving a stick.

Looks:
    While both are gorgeous cars i think the 430 just has a certain elegance to it that the GT4 did no posses. The Scud Bumper and stripes to just push the looks department a little further in my favor. I have gotten used to involuntarily ignoring the road attention so I can't say for sure which one gets more. Not that I could care one way or the other here.

Interior:
    It is a tough call for me as well. The Ferrari once again brings more of an event just sitting in the cabin while the GT was more comfortable with a lot more amenities. I would say for me its very close but for what I am looking for the Ferrari Takes the win here. Depending on the individual this could go the other way.

Conclusion:
    At the end of the day the Ferrari just elicites so much more emotion from the day to day driving. I haven't been able to get rid of the **** eating grin/smile off my face whenever I am in the car, I just can't help it. I was very upset when the GT was taken out of the garage but after my first night with the 430 I know I made the right decision and have 0 regrets right now. For anyone looking to get into a GT4 it is a fantastic car and is damn near perfect. Technically speaking it is the superior car and is more competent on the track compared to the 430 but thats not always what everyone is looking for.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ffre92 likes this.
  6. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    My only comment after getting my 08 F430 spider is your goal of a $130k or under car. I'm not saying they don't exist but most in this price range have mechanical needs that add up very fast. I looked for over a year and gave up and spent $160k for a mint cond. 2 owner spider with only 4,800 miles, 94% of clutch life left and cosmetically looks like a museum car. Looking at what cars sell for on BaT I feel I got a bargain.

As an example, one 07 430 (mgr. said was perfect) I paid $1,400 to have a PPI done at a local Ferrari dealer and this was money well spent. The PPI showed it had over $30,000 of needs to make correct. Failed headers, top needed replacing and 12 other items. Always get a PPIU from a qualified shop, don't believe what a salesperson says.

7. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    If you are looking for something to excel on the track, get the Porsche. They are hands down, the best track cars. I had a 981 that was an amazing car.

Then I bought a 2009 F430 and everything changed. It’s amazing all the time, maybe except on the track. I haven’t tracked it, and won’t. The cost of the brake replacement is too high.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. Ivan Drago

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    Thank you everyone for your very detailed responses. It seems that the F430 would be the better buy if I decide to keep the car off the track. At the moment, I am set on doing a couple of track days a year, but if I cannot secure an allocation, I would absolutely reconsider the requirement.

How is life outside of the track for you guys with the F430? How many miles per year do you typically put on your car and do you have abnormal experiences with it? Thank you again for your time!

9. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I had both. Sold the GT4. And I can tell you with just suspension mods the F430 will kill the GT4 on the track. Ferrari sells their cars for street and if you want a track Ferrari they will steer you toward Challenge cars. Porsche build GT cars which is a track able street car. So you can bring it to the track right out of a showroom. But seriously the mod required for the F430 to even outperform a 911.1 GT3 is just a suspension mod. Well, brakes too if you don’t have the ceramic brakes.

Flea7 likes this.
  10. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    I love the looks of the GT4 RS but I've never driven one. I'm not a big Porsche fan. While I have driven many 911's, I've never been impressed by one and not a single one put a smile on my face while driving it. However, I think comparing the two makes is a bit of Apples and Oranges. I like to think of them this way. The Porsche is the wife, a partner that will put up with your faults (driving deficiencies), she will be loyal and reliable, up to the point that at times you may become bored driving her. The Ferrari is the mistress (expensive), damn good looking, temperamental and higher maintenance. But every romp in the "bed" is an event. She is a freak and all eyes are on you whenever you are out in public because she is such a beauty. She even smells special:)

11. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Do you still have your S Line?

12. swc5150

swc5150 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Scott Calderwood
    I was in your position earlier this year as well. I looked at everything in that price range (C8, Cayman, Gallardo, R8, etc) and went with the F430. The visceral feelings that come with the F car were not there with the others.

Ivan Drago likes this.
  13. Ivan Drago

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    So you too have suffered from elevated blood pressure, sleepless nights, and gray hairs from this car disease... How has the F430 experience been my friend? How often do you drive it, and what kind of adventures do you take it on? Do you do any track driving?

VAF84 likes this.
  14. swc5150

swc5150 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Scott Calderwood
    Ha indeed! Lots discussions and sleepless nights for sure! We haven't had the 430 very long, but so far I drive it everyday, unless it's raining. And when not driving, I'm washing it...I just find myself needing to be around it. Sounds weird I suppose, but it's the culmination of life-long dream and I still can't believe we have a Ferrari in the garage. I've never tracked before, but definitely plan on getting this car out.

Extreme1, AandSC and VAF84 like this.
  15. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    The 430 will get a lot of attention vs a GT4 when driving on the road. At a car show a gen2 GT4 is the new kid on the block so that will get the attention.

If you want to not be able to go anywhere anonymously, get the 430. If you want to cruise and not worry about everyday people doing stupid things around you to take pictures of the car, then get the GT4. I’ve been cut off way too many times by some kid trying to post a live pic or video on social media.

I helped to run a charity event at a museum this past weekend. I had a friend coming in from out of town to help run the event so I brought the 430 to let him take a drive as he is a corvette guy (vintage 60’s corvette guy, won’t touch the new one) and wanted to try the Ferrari. I carefully parked in the back of the main building where no one can see me except the security cameras. When I came out to put something in my car it was surrounded by people taking pictures. Seems we don’t think about it, but many people said to me it was the first time they saw a Ferrari in the real world.

Porsche cars including my GT3, when it was new, just doesn’t get that reaction from the general public.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ffre92, swc5150 and AandSC like this.
  16. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Remember that your budget of $130k is not the same when it comes to gt4 v f430.
    Whereas your GT4 will have a warranty and no expenses other than maintenance, with a 15yr old you’ll have to be prepared to spend several thousand dollars at a time on the F430 at random moments just to keep it on the road.

Ffre92 and swc5150 like this.
  17. swc5150

swc5150 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Scott Calderwood
    True, none of my P cars have come close to the attention, but I've also never had a badass 911. Our Panamera Turbo doesn't really cause commotion, looking like a grocery getter, but it's a performance beast for its size. GT4 will keep you under the radar, except from the Porsche guys.

18. swc5150

swc5150 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Scott Calderwood
    Good point, you'd definitely want to find a dialed in 430. If you're serious about one, talk to Spencer Marks. His is for sale in the member classifieds and it's sorted and ready for a new home within your budget. If I didn't buy the one I have, I would've bought his.

19. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    No I got rid of it a couple months later. At the time I did not have headers and the change in exhaust note over stock was not substantial especially considering the cost. Now that I have headers I kind of wish I kept it.

20. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    The F430 would be a perfectly fine as a track car especially at a couple times a year. I would not dismiss it just based off of that. There will be slightly more upkeep with the F but that’s just due to its age. You would actually be surprised of the price difference of some parts between the F and P cars (not the direction you would think either).

21. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    The MT6 in the 430 is slow and old compared to Porsche, not the same at all. Why not buy the used Porsche as very relaible generaly?

22. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Well, a 250GTO is slower than any modern Porsche, but I would take it over any Porsche in production. Same with the shifting in the F430, I'd take it over any manual ever produced by Porsche. If all your concern is reliability, buy a Lexus LC500.

23. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    I have an F430 and Cayman R, both rock and have their own special factor. If you are a hardcore manual guy, maybe consider the Porsche as their manuals are perfect. That said, the F430 is a whole different level in every aspect. Hard to compare the two. Both rock but for different reasons. If you are truly looking to save some cash and have a really great driving experience/rare Porsche, go check out Cayman Rs. I love Porsches but there is too much overlap in their models. My wife’s Cayenne has a 911 dash. Cool but diminishes the 911 to me. F430 is unlike anything else.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

360Tom, catdog and Ffre92 like this.
  24. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    What a beautiful shot of a great pair of cars!

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  25. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    #25 mathewr, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I will sell you my F430 before I list it. One of one car Mirabeau Blue on Rossa. 2006 18,975 miles. Fresh service with brand new clutch, all fluids, plugs, filters, etc, etc. The car was picked up from service yesterday and it is unbelievable. My mechanic worked at Ferrari for 20+ years and said this is the best and rarest color combo he has ever seen. Get before I list it. $155k firm. Lightning has just struck this thread. :)

Ivan Drago likes this.