Leather Rejuvenation | FerrariChat

Leather Rejuvenation

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dinopomodoro, Apr 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinopomodoro

dinopomodoro Rookie

Sep 22, 2007
    Parkville, MO
    Full Name:
    Pete Davis
    I have discovered that my 330 GTC seats had been sprayed with vinyl/leather ‘paint’ by a previous owner. Removal was not super difficult, but took many hours. The good news is that the original leather is soft, smooth, and supple. Unfortunately the black is a bit faded and uneven. I would like to even them out, but am unsure of what dye to use, and how to best preserve the leather. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    post pix. the patina may be acceptable.

3. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    A couple of the best-known automotive leather dye sources are Color Plus and Leatherique. I've used both in the past and found them equally good.

4. dinopomodoro

dinopomodoro Rookie

Sep 22, 2007
    Parkville, MO
    Full Name:
    Pete Davis
    Thanks for your response.
    I’ll try to capture their ‘look’ and post pix (can’t today), but they are too uneven due to chemicals I used. Lexol (or similar) might even them out, but I’m hesitant without feedback or research.

5. dinopomodoro

dinopomodoro Rookie

Sep 22, 2007
    Parkville, MO
    Full Name:
    Pete Davis
    Thanks. I’ll check them out.

6. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    What is the best place to order Leatherique from?

7. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    #7 wmuno, Apr 23, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    The best leather dye on the market is Fiebing's. It is a pure dye. After the leather is dry, you can use one of the many leather treatments. I have had a 330 GTC for over 40 years and have always used Connolly Hide Food. It's old school from England, but it's sold by the company that makes fine leather.

8. dinopomodoro

dinopomodoro Rookie

Sep 22, 2007
    Parkville, MO
    Full Name:
    Pete Davis
    Thanks! I remember using Fiebing’s back in the 60’s on various leather projects. Glad to hear it’s still around, and will definitely sample it. After a couple false starts (with ‘experts’) and long term storage, I am trying to do what I can myself on my car.
    BTW, I visited you in IL (probably 20 yrs ago) and got some good detail pix of your “Platinum” GTC. Thanks again for your hospitality! Pete

wmuno likes this.
  9. dinopomodoro

dinopomodoro Rookie

Sep 22, 2007
    Parkville, MO
    Full Name:
    Pete Davis
    The pix actually look better than the seats, and the color variances are here and there, not uniform throughout the leather.

10. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

What about just starting with Leatherique and see what you get?

waymar and moysiuan like this.
  11. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Now that the leather has been cleaned, I suggest you start with a dye before using any other leather treatments.

12. dinopomodoro

dinopomodoro Rookie

Sep 22, 2007
    Parkville, MO
    Full Name:
    Pete Davis
    I picked up Fiebing’s dye. I’ve tried a small obscure area for a test, and plan to take s few days to decide how much I like it. Thanks again for responses.