F355 Market | Page 363 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Conclusion. The split between 1 and 2 piece undertray delivered cars is somewhere in September 94. Some September cars have it, some don’t. October definitely didn’t have it.

Some believe only 10-20 U.S delivered cars have it.

Ferrari was all over the place when you start to track the history of these parts and changes. Makes for never-ending 355 conversation :). You always learn something new with these cars.

308 GTB, INTMD8 and carnutdallas like this.
  2. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That is for sure!! Always learning. And crazy the differences between Euro and USA. Then to think all the work for Australia and England, with right side drive. The nuance is mind blowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShineKen likes this.
  3. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I did some repairs to mine (mid production '98) and they were all plastic-coated fiberglass.

ShineKen and carnutdallas like this.
  4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Ok on to more important things like who can make me carbon undertrays :D

carnutdallas likes this.
  5. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Someone made a set of wheel inner liners on a 512BBi that are spectacular. I am sure y’all know the car? Who ever did that can definitely make a set :)

6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    None of my fasteners match. And the fiberglass has been repaired several times so it's a few different shades of black.

They take a lot of punishment on the track...

1:59 - 2:06

Great NASCAR pass at 2:11

:)

mclaudio and ShineKen like this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Here’s the inside of a later version.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I tell what is interesting, is how wide and taller the 360 and 430 are. Their under trays are just about perfect on most I have seen. The 355 really takes a beating. I bought a brand new set to have, crated and in my shop for the “someday” from Maranello Classics. They had 2 sets left. Same with gated switch plate surrounds. New in box, but the last two. I had some other special stuff and I sold or have away like an idiot I do have one of the last sets of Dave’s floor mat retainer kits.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    1 piece or 2 piece ?

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Doesn't matter to me. Just want it lighter. Mine feel like they are infused with lead

ShineKen likes this.
  11. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I would go two piece and buy multiple sets. Just not as durable as the plastic fiber stuff.

ShineKen likes this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    How those headers coming along ;)?

Mark HT likes this.
  13. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    To be honest, this recent divergence from market speculation posts to the intricacies of the underbody is MUCH more interesting to me and a breath of fresh air...

rob lay, JAM1, ShineKen and 1 other person like this.
  14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    They aren't, other than in my head. Still obsessively building the exhaust.

Mark HT and ShineKen like this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Oh. Then you’ll like this…

Fun Fact: Race Car Aero Dynamics : Designing for Speed By Joseph Katz, which I’ve actually read in its entirety :), mentions the Ferrari F355 in Chapter 1.

The Ferrari 355 is one of the first production cars, if not the first production car to come equipped with a full front to rear underbody panel exiting with diffusers AND actually generate a negative lift coefficient (downforce). This was a significant milestone for road-going production sport cars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    That’s so cool.

ShineKen likes this.
  17. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I will try to take photos of the inside of the single piece tray on #100298 since it has is has some markings to show designation for USA, along with some chassis markings. Based on the recall document for early '95 F355 for the fuel lines, #100298 is possibly the 38th chassis off the production line.

Additional differences I forgot:
    -Radio blank plate
    -possibly black brake ducting instead of orange on later cars

Attached Files:

ShineKen likes this.
  18. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    ShineKen likes this.
  19. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
  20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Would seem later than that? (mine is 250 cars before that one)

Unless you didn't mean to quote that car and meant 100298

21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #9072 ShineKen, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    Fun Fact #2: So how have Ferrari aero improved over the years on mid-engined V8's?

Ferrari 355:

Drag Coefficient: .33
    Lift Coefficient: -.24 (negative implies downforce at speed)

Ferrari 360:

Drag Coefficient: .34
    Lift Coefficient: -.25

Ferrari 360 CS:

Lift Coefficient: -.37

Ferrari F430:

Lift Coefficient: -.35

Ferrari 430 Scuderia:

Lift Coefficient: -.53

Ferrari 458:

Drag Coefficient: .33
    Lift Coefficient: -.36

Ferrari 458 Speciale:

Drag Coefficient: .35
    Lift Coefficient: -.53

*F355 & 458 Italia have the lowest drag coefficients. Scuderia & Speciale have the highest downforce coefficients of the NA V8's.

JSinNOLA and mclaudio like this.
  22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Nope. There's nothing back there on a 95. Less weight :).

23. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Nice. Any drag/lift data on Challenge version i.e. rear wing on 355?

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Since the only difference is the wing, you would need data on the wing and find ideal positioning. I never found drag/lift numbers with it on.

However... I did find some info from RSD Japan who is well-known in Ferrari Challenge participation. Pretty much most of the Best Motoring (produced in Japan) Youtube videos testing Ferrari Challenge cars are RSD cars.

http://www.rs-dino.com/rsd.htm

"Therefore, we developed the modified parts of the F355 and 360 Modena from the idea that we can do something if we combine the maintenance technology that our mechanics have accumulated and the know-how cultivated in racing.The Tsukuba Circuit and Twin Link Motegi, which have been running so far, have become test fields.
    In order to achieve even higher straight-line stability at high speeds, and to solve the anxiety of passing through corners, we first developed aero parts designed using the air force (down force) that pushes the car body to the road surface.
    If you run Twin Link Motegi in the 360 challenge, you can clear the left high-speed corner 130R at full throttle ahead of the first underbridge, only a few laps that produce the most grip of the new Pirelli slick tires.After that, you will start to run by adjusting the accelerator opening while feeling the grip of the tire.
    360 Challenge In addition, the unstable feeling of the rear after cutting the steering from braking at the entrance of the final corner of the Tsukuba Circuit.These were the anxiety elements that have remained since the time of the challenge race.
    When I tried running with RSD front lip spoiler and rear wing, I was able to run at full throttle with peace of mind because downforce is effective without relying only on the grip of the tire.

In the F355 Challenge race, the rear wing was allowed to be fitted from '98, and it showed performance to shorten the previous lap time.However, there were no aero parts to the front, so understeer in the middle and high speed corners could not be solved.
    F355 Challenge From these experiences, the front lip spoiler and rear wing, which we developed with front and rear balance in mind, have been transformed into neutral steering characteristics.

In addition, because the suspension spring has a high rate corresponding to slick tires, it is not possible to attack the circuit comfortably when changing to the current mainstream high grip radial tires and semi-racing tires.I thought it was a waste that I was spoiling the goodness of the original F355 challenge, and then I started tuning the damper.I made use of the original function that can adjust the damping force of 2 stages with the switch in the room as it is, and tuned the damper mainly for full-throttle running on the circuit, and finished it to be used for city riding.

In addition, RSD and ENKEI jointly developed the 360 Modena wheel “SF1-360CORSE” in comparison with the challenge wheel for competition about 2.At 9km, Ferrari genuine wheels and downright about 6.We succeeded in weight reduction as much as 9 kg.In addition, cornering performance is greatly improved by changing the offset and increasing the tread width.It goes without saying that the weight reduction of the undercarriage (under the spring) plays an important and dramatic role in improving the basic performance of the car, such as acceleration, handling, and braking.

In order to see the results of RSD modifier parts, the Ferrari Trophy held at Twin Link Motegi 11/6 on the stage of the final test.We entered the 360 Challenge Class and the F355 Challenge Class, and both were able to win.
    Why not try RSD once?

Racing Service Deino Changeover Toru"

On Tsukuba Circuit, the RSD 355 Challenge car with front lip and street tires is a 1 min 1 sec car. A stock 458 is a 1 min 3 sec car on the same track.

I hope that helps :).

-K1-, mclaudio and 308 GTB like this.