Fender Shields | FerrariChat

Fender Shields

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by krash, Apr 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. krash

krash Karting

Apr 14, 2022
    NJ/FL
    Full Name:
    Ryan K
    Do you prefer the regular Scuderia shields, painted shields, or no shields? This topic has garnered a bunch of debate between me and some buddies, would love to hear some other views and why!

My choice is painted shields. The fact that they are slightly larger just fits a Ferrari fender perfectly.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Depends on the car and color.

Some have big flanks and really need the larger painted shields. GT cars generally look better without, the sportier models with.

All this is just IMO!

T

paulchua and FerRrari like this.
  3. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I personally think the large painted shields are off-putting on most models.

I think a proper Ferrari should have metal shields, preferably imposed into the fender from factory.

4. krash

krash Karting

Apr 14, 2022
    NJ/FL
    Full Name:
    Ryan K
    I agree. I would say certain specced sporty models fit most with the painted shields. Rosso Corsa should have the regular shields, but a TM spec or heritage is deserving of the paint.

tomc likes this.
  5. krash

krash Karting

Apr 14, 2022
    NJ/FL
    Full Name:
    Ryan K
    Really, why's that? I love the look of the painted shields on the V12 GTs like the 812 and F12. I've seen a few Pistas as well and I think it makes it look very "Ferrari" if that makes sense. The Monza needs it, too. Saw one the other day with the shields integrated and it did not fit. Would love to hear a little more about your opinion, I think its a really cool topic.

BillHartman67 and FerrfanFL like this.
  6. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Road going Ferrari's did not have even the shield as an RPO until the 456M/355 series.

tomc likes this.
  7. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I dislike painted shields a lot, not sure why, just looks tacky to me

Shields are a must, unless its some killer spec and thats the only thing missing

buddyg likes this.
  8. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I like them. The fact that they represent the team Scuderia and how much it means to the brand and the racing heritage that Ferrari is so well known for makes them special to me. But that is just my personal opinion, and completely respect how other people may chose to customize their own cars with or without them.

9. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    shields were a must for me, HOWEVER I must admit that the 550's and the 360 Modena's look great without them too. Something about those two models makes them look great with and without

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There really shouldn't be a "debate", as you wrote it is a matter of preference.

This has been discussed before and I know one member feels they should only be on race cars. If that were the case, Ferrari would have to reduce their profit margin by 10%! :D

FerrariFinally and EastMemphis like this.
  11. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Factory Shields -

IMHO especially nice when offset with yellow rotors.

Viperjoe and tomc like this.
  12. krash

krash Karting

Apr 14, 2022
    NJ/FL
    Full Name:
    Ryan K
    That's how we specced our F8 Tributo. The front end has the yellow accents from the shield and brakes, the rear end has red accents from the engine and the taillights, very cool looking combo.

13. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sounds absolutely beautiful!! :)

14. krash

krash Karting

Apr 14, 2022
    NJ/FL
    Full Name:
    Ryan K
    Thanks! was a great intro to the Ferrari universe!!

15. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah that's quite an intro!! Welcome to the world of Ferrari :)

The F8 in my opinion the most achingly beautiful mid-engine Ferrari made since the 355- and that's saying a lot since I own a 458 Spider!!

I drove an F8 Spider last summer when my 355 was in for her major- Was VERY impressed with the F8-

You will love it and I hope the Ferrari ownership experience is everything you hoped it would be.

Cheers :)

16. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    It's funny you bring up the Monza because that is the one car that I think has to have painted shields.

Generally I think the large, painted shields are retro and look out of place on modern Ferrari's.

17. krash

krash Karting

Apr 14, 2022
    NJ/FL
    Full Name:
    Ryan K
    Monza is a must with the painted shields, I honestly figured everyone did them on that car. Saw one at a dealer last weekend with the little shields and it looked miniature. Spec was stellar otherwise.

The large size of the shields has really grown on me as of late. Any Ferrari with big front fenders should have them, IMO, if you'd like to stand out. I think certain specs of the mid engine V8's should wear the painted shields, too.

tomc and Doug. like this.
  18. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Scuderia shields for me.

Painted larger ones only on race cars.

19. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I prefer to spend my "Itz Racekar!!" budget on a big wing - the bigger, the better. Really impresses the Honda and Scooby boiz.

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The smaller painted shield. It falls in between the two in size and would fit better on most modern fenders,

nart likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I was going to say this, totally agree!

22. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  23. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    My 360 Spider has factory shields and I think they are tacky and ostentatious. Wish they weren’t there.

willrace and pilotoCS like this.
  24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Shields on actual race cars. Vertical rectangles on the nose for road cars. Go ahead . . . . call me old school. But the SF on the shields indicates the Scuderia Ferrari, a race team.

NYC Fred likes this.