458 - 1st Gear Not Engaging | FerrariChat

458 1st Gear Not Engaging

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scout123, Apr 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    #1 Scout123, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    Over the past two days, when I back our of my garage and try to put the car in first gear, nothing happens, it stays in Reverse. I try the paddle a couple more times, then a window pops up that tells me to engage first gear I need to depress the brake peddle and push the PS button. When I do this, sometimes it engages on the first try, sometimes on the second try. This is staring to happen all the time now. Any ideas?

2. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I'd get it checked out ASAP and not drive it anymore! If you do more damage by driving it, it could lead to a new or rebuilt box replacement. I had my boxed replaced new, by Ferrari @ my dealership, when I lost all odd gears and transmission failure light was on. That was to the tune of $40k, thank God had power warranty. Do you have one in place???

3. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Sounds like a brake pedal switch problem. The box won’t engage 1st if not depressed. That said that same switch is used to start the car I think.

Are you sure you not just needing to press the brake a little harder.

I have noticed on my 458 I have to press a bit more than say on my other cars. else it will do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Widebody_Don and Challenge like this.
  4. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Yeah, I pressed it pretty hard to make sure that was not the issue. It operates just fine after words. I will get over to mechanic and have him hook it up to his Leonardo and see if there is anything on there.

Sargepug and Mafiaboy1975 like this.
  5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What year is your 458 and how many miles are on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    2013 Spider with 22,000

7. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    What's weird is that the system is telling me what to do in order to put the car in gear via a message window stating: to put car in gear depress brake peddle then press the PS button. I have foot on brake, then push the PS button, then pull back the paddle. It works (sometimes I have to pull paddle twice).

So, whatever it is, it's not being presented as any type of "error" on the system.

I won't drive until next week when my mechanic can hook it up to Leonardo and see if there are any codes, etc.

Rexcat458 and Sargepug like this.
  8. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Had a similar problem on my 2012 spider. Was the paddle mechanism. Replaced under warranty early then no problem since.

SV

9. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
  10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Can’t tell what that is but the paddle assembly had the switch array in it and evidently it was faulty.

SV

11. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
  12. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
  13. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This error is mentioned on p. 46 & 139 of the owner's manual.

14. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    I went through my entire 2013 458 spider owners manual, and did not see that message window anywhere. Can you share with me what your manual says?

15. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    I did find the following. It does not say what the problem ultimately is or what needs to be done to fix it, it just tells you how to get around it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    OK, I think I have this all figured out. Basically, when I start the car up and I’m ready to go, I cannot engage first gear by pulling back on the right shift paddle. Ferrari, doing something smart here, allows a workaround in the system if your paddle fails to allow you to engage first year to start driving. That workaround is basically pressing the PS button. When done, the car places itself in first gear and you’re ready to go.

When driving, there are no other issues with the paddle shifters at all. It all works just fine. But, anytime you stop and turn the car off, get back in and are ready to go, what is described above occurs again, and you press the PS button to proceed. Everything else works just fine.

My educated guess is that the paddle assembly needs to be replaced in order to put the car in first gear at start up using the paddle shifter. For whatever reason, that one simple function within the paddle Assembly - moving from either neutral or the park position into first gear- is not working properly. See SVCalifornia’s post above fixing the same problem.

While I plan on replacing the paddle mechanism, I am curious as to whether or not proceeding forward just using the PS button to engage first gear on start up is harmful in any way. My guess is no, it’s just a redundant feature Ferrari was smart enough to build in case your paddle shifter mechanism goes out on you.

17. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    My prior message about pushing the PS button and then the paddle shifter to get it to work was incorrect. In reality, as the manual reads, if you were in reverse and want to go to first gear, you have to push the PS button twice. I was only pushing it once per the screen. It works just as the manual tells you.

18. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Sargepug and SVCalifornia like this.
  19. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    That fixed it. SVCalifornia, you the man.

This is now 2 quirky issues on my 458 immediately solved on this forum. Amazing resource for my 458 and FF. Glad I a am part of it.