I need some info on bmws | FerrariChat

I need some info on bmws

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TeenwhoneedsaFerrari, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeenwhoneedsaFerrari

Dec 23, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Blair Salter
    I get my license tomorrow(granted i pass lol) and my dad is strongly biased towards american cars. There is a cheap 89', 2000 dollars, 325Is 5 speed in town. That is the car i really want. But he believes it is going to break alot and cost me tons of money. I need to know if the car is going to give me problems or not...i know you cant really see it but if anyone has ever had any problems with that series tell me, and if you have good comments then, those are needed even more..

Thanks-Blair

2. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    I love BMW's at a given point I owned 3 of em is by far the most reliable brand I have ever own

3. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I have owned an 85 325e and an 88 325is and both were nice cars. Having said that, they did have occasional problems and they are expensive to fix. Gas mileage was quite good on both and both were very nice to drive. The 325is was an improvement over the 325e. As with any car purchase it's essential to have a qualified mechanic inspect the car prior to purchase. If you buy one that is problematic your father will be right, it will cost you silly amounts of money to maintain.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I had an '89 and a '91 325. The thing to look for in those is the timing belt. They "Go" between 60-70Kmiles. Make sure it has been changed. The other issues are the accessory pumps...pretty much the same lifespan. The timing belt issue was resolved after the 91 MY.

I loved those cars at that time! Good memories.

DL

5. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Congrats on becoming a driver!!! Have fun but be safe, do not try and show off infront of your friends. Anyways I had BMW and I would say it was by far a great car. Out of 4 years and driving it like no other I never had a single large problem with it. And I got awsome gas millage 375 ave to a tank. If your dad has any questions or needs some more reasons why feel free to ask.

6. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I was with BMW for 17 years before going to Ferrari and still have a 1986 325 with 189,000 miles on it. I drive it every day to work. It has never had the head off, still gets 30 mpg on the highway and will run easily at 80 mph wherever I want to take it.

Things to watch are:
    Timing belt and tensioner 60k-70k miles.
    Water pump: replace at time of timing belt
    A/C / heater blower motors--a weak point--they last about 4 years and cost about $300 to replace.
    Exhaust system. Get to know a muffler place as the stock ones are expensive and you will be told you need to replace the catalytic converter each 100k miles. I just replaced my cat last week at a cost of $200 at A&B Muffler in Arlington, Texas. The BMW store I used to work for quoted me $900.

Other than that, it is very dependable. I only average spending about $300 a year maintenance on it and it still runs great.

Congrats on getting your license................................:>)

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I agree, I have always driven BMWs since I could drive. The frist car I bought myself with my own money was a 633CSi. Still have and love it.