Front bumper riddled with rock chips | FerrariChat

Front bumper riddled with rock chips

Discussion in '360/430' started by dbdreams, Apr 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    I have a 2000 360 with just over 40k miles and the front bumper is riddled with rock chips. I actually wasn't dissuaded by the rock chips because I feel less guilty actually driving the car without worry of creating a blemish. When the time comes to address the problem is it common to just have the bumper sprayed and blended?

Also I assume to most the car would be more desirable even after a respray of the bumper than to be riddled with rock chips as it is now. Opinions?

sparetireless likes this.
  2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am not a body man, but I think you can respray the bumper with no blending. A good body shop should be able to match it precisely.

dbdreams likes this.
  3. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    My '04 360 is currently in the shop for front bumper respray. The paint was perfection 8 years ago when I bought it and it ( the front bumper) had been repainted a couple of years before the sale. I don't see how you can put miles on these cars without accepting some road rash. And I don't see how correcting said road rash does anything but increase the value.

dbdreams likes this.
  4. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    I tend to agree completely. When I do make the correction I do plan on having PPF (paint protection film) applied afterwards. Hopefully this will lengthen the time in between resprays or possibly eliminate altogether.

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I agree. I am kind of OCD on any scratches or chips on my vehicles, Ferrari or otherwise. If there's an imperfection, it's in the body shop. If someone faults me for keeping my car looking new, oh well.

Mario Andretti and dbdreams like this.
  6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I hope you read my thread on removing old PPF before you do that. :D

dbdreams likes this.
  7. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    Luckily in my youth I used to race motocross and usually got a new dirt bike every year. Always nice to have that shiny new bike without a blemish. I came to realize I was much faster and had more fun after that first big scratch then I rode without worry and ironically it seems after that I far less likely to crash it. A scratch here and there doesn't hurt me too bad but my front bumper is in serious need of a makeover.

8. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I bought my 2000 in 2014 with 22k miles on it so it already had some chips. Now, it's at 49k miles with even more rock chips. Plan is to buy another bumper (CS or GTC) and have that painted to match.

one4torque and dbdreams like this.
  9. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My bumper is riddled too. It seems like anytime you end up in the canyon, 50 more are added. I don’t know if it’s just soft paint or poor bonding to the primer. You can see from the chips, the paint if relatively thick

10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    When I bought my 360 Spider nearly 3 years ago, the front bumper had some little nicks but nothing serious. Now, it's got a lot more including a piece of metal that pierced it. It was only 1/2" wide but did a nice bit of damage. I can fix it in ten minutes but that will not cover the paint damage. I'm not going to touch it as that's just the way it is with a car that's driven on roads in terrible condition. So it's either accept the damage or stop driving the darn thing.

Someday, my estate will have to get the bumper resprayed to sell it. I hope they use a competent shop.

hessank and dbdreams like this.
  11. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    It is very easy to apply PPF film to the front bumper of 360 or 430.... it is very straight with not many cuts/intake runs . just buy an xpel film kit an DYI.. It is guaranteed to protect your bumper from most if not all chips.. I have it on all my cars (3). I will never have a car with a good front bumper without applying a film on it...

It's 257$ for the 360.. not a big deal.

https://www.xpel.com/Mirror-Bumper-and-Wheel-Opening-Kit-ULTIMATE-PLUS_2

dbdreams likes this.
  12. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Mine was freshly repainted before I bought it. Then came the track and a visit to the kitty litter. Picked up some rock chips here and there. Still worth it. At some point the car will need a new paint job. I just figured it's part of the cost of fun. The interesting thing about the 360 is that rock chips don't turn into rusted panels because it's made out of aluminum. So I don't have to rush out to fix anything.

dbdreams likes this.
  13. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Damn, I needed this! My front bumper and surrounding area is as you described. I have felt extremely bad to take it to 'cars & coffee' and such because of the condition. I didn't want to hear, "omg, look at that 360 with all those stone chips". Now I don't feel as bad. I love driving the thing and don't want to repaint it and have it sleep in the garage. Thanks for sharing the truth as you see it. Me too

dbdreams and EastMemphis like this.
  14. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've lost count of the number of times I've had my front bumper resprayed.

15. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    My local shows where I tend to be the only Ferrari there and most of the cars in attendance are driver cars I don't really mind. The big Cars & Coffee show there are numerous other Ferrari cars as well as other exotics most of which look as if they came straight from the showroom floor. This is when I really notice how bad my front bumper looks.

16. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Goes to show you are driving your car and it’s not a cars and coffee queen like most

dbdreams likes this.
  17. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    I don't advise PPF. You still get stone chips. And it will look ugly.
    Just respray the front. Who cares about the garage queen type of person who doesn't like sprayed cars. I want to sell my cars only to people who drive cars. And those don't care about front paint jobs.

18. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    sparetireless likes this.
  19. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    No reduction in value by having a proper respray of a bumper in need. Wait till you see how Ferrari attached the bottom front fascia of that 360.

dbdreams likes this.
  20. Mbelliss

Mbelliss Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mark B
    Drive mine a few years with chips and decided over the winter to respray it. Argento silver so matching was a challenge, but local dealer nailed it. Fixed some delaminating of the side vents, and placed scrap guards on the bottom, had entire front end/hood film protected, along with redoing the film on the rockers. Looks great, protected, feeling good about it…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

02360spider likes this.
  21. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    What scrap guards did u get?

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk