F1 control sensors. | FerrariChat

F1 control sensors.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by capnal63, Apr 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. capnal63

capnal63 Rookie

Oct 8, 2021
    Hilton Head
    Full Name:
    Alan J. DeSa
    Has anyone been able to install and test out the control sensors for a Citroen or a Peugeot that may work
    on a 360?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Nope, not me. Spend money for a real sensor from Ferrari. They do work.

tbakowsky and flash32 like this.
  3. capnal63

capnal63 Rookie

Oct 8, 2021
    Hilton Head
    Full Name:
    Alan J. DeSa
    Yelcab your answer is not to the point. I travel a lot and charge the car while away. I can
    get a battery charger kit from Ricambi for @$500 USD or get one that does the same
    job at Walmart for @$30.00. The 360 Capote top was originally made by Porsche.
    The point of the question was to see if we could use something not necessarily a Ferrari
    part to repair the F1 sensors.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you are a DIY person, have at it. Your labor is free to you and you can spend your time endlessly testing and making sure the non original sensor works. Great.

If you are fixing the car for someone else, and you need to have the quality of your work top-notch, or you do it again for free (at a operational loss), then you buy the original sensor especially when it is still available. Do you want me to list how many times I have been burnt with non-Original parts? The latest was this morning.

Qavion and tbakowsky like this.
  5. capnal63

capnal63 Rookie

Oct 8, 2021
    Hilton Head
    Full Name:
    Alan J. DeSa
    I understand your feelings on the subject and basically agreed with your premise. However I am
    still interested if someone on site is able to answer my original question.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Send Ratarossa an email. I am under the impression that he tried something ... non stock.

7. capnal63

capnal63 Rookie

Oct 8, 2021
    Hilton Head
    Full Name:
    Alan J. DeSa
    Thank You Yelcab

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I did this sensor on a 360CS, it was $1400 each. I paid. Then bought another one for spare before they are NLA.

I also paid through the nose on a Ediff pressure sensor on a 430 F1. It was ... $500? No complaint. Nobody ever promised that owning a Ferrari was going to be cheap. (wanna know who said that?)

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    bradyorlando456MGTA and Qavion like this.
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What I find really strange..I have never had to replace a secletion potentiometer on a 360. Yet I do them frequently on the 430. Obviously the 430 sensors are much different..but the failure rate is 100% more frequent..Strange.

ditpixs likes this.
  12. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

360 and 430 top is made by Webasto

f355spider and Island Guy like this.
  13. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    It does seem from just watching here that the ones on the 430 are problematic. I know mine failed not too long ago left me stranded in the middle of I-5. To be honest, given the inconvenience and risk of being stranded, replacing them proactively might not be a bad idea if you have the actuator off to access the bleed screws. I know they are $$$, but so is getting towed.

14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

let me share something
    I had 2 failed f430 potentiometers. Each potentiometer is made up of 2 units.
    luckily, as I tested on the car with a scan tool, each of the potentiometers has one good unit ( the other unit being a failed unit, of course)
    So I seperate the good unit from each of the potentiometers , and put the 2 good units together to form 1 good potentiometer.

Moral of the story: DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR BAD F430 POTENTIOMETER. IT MAYBE ONLY 1/2 BAD.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

Umm..when you purchase the pots..they come as a pair. You cannot purchase them by the single unit.

This is not a cost savings at all. This more then likely will cost you more in a short period of time.

16. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#16 24000rpm, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    my bad. let me rephrase what I mean. Each potentiometer has 2 pods, pod A and pod B.

In 2016, I was driving my car and suddenly, the potentiometer failed ( pod A failed and pod B is good, as indicated on scan tool), so I replaced it with a brand new potentiometer.

In 2020, the "new" potentiometer failed (pod B failed and Pod A is good, as indicated on scan tool), so I removed the "new" potentiometer.

So I put the pod B of the 2016-failed potentiometer and pod A of the 2020-failed potentiometer together and formed a functional good potentiometer, saving the money to buy a brand new potentiometer.

JL350 and f355spider like this.
  17. capnal63

capnal63 Rookie

Oct 8, 2021
    Hilton Head
    Full Name:
    Alan J. DeSa
    Gentlemen, now the rest of the story as Paul Harvey used to say. Flash32 sent a source for the two
    potentiometers that failed in my 360 spider. When removed they indicated that the parts were Citroen/
    Peugeot, not Ferrari. We ordered two at @USD180.00 instead of USD$1400 each from Ferrari. They worked perfectly. The address is below, Thank you again Flash32.

https://www.sequparts.com/product/selection-sensor-potentiometer-ferrari-f1/

After testing the car would not engage all gears as the P1773 error indicated Clutch life was 98.57% used. After clutch replacement, release bearing and associated gaskets/hardware and assorted
    odds and ends were replaced the car works perfectly.

Qavion, tbakowsky and flash32 like this.
  18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Glad you can now enjoy the car during these beautiful days

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I like that sensor Peugeot part numbers.

20. capnal63

capnal63 Rookie

Oct 8, 2021
    Hilton Head
    Full Name:
    Alan J. DeSa
    Not sure, I am away and the Independent Ferrari service in Bluffton, SC may have the actual
    Citroen part number.

21. dinos575m

dinos575m Rookie

Oct 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dean Pellegrino
    good day all I have a 02 575M the potentiometer is bad, only have r,1,2 gears and checked with a Ferrari scan tool. clutch has 75% left. Ordered part from Scuderia a month ago. called twice ,they finally got in touch with me to till me part not available "SORRY"
    I understand BMW also has the same part. does anyone know the part number or what year and model? Much thanks

22. capnal63

capnal63 Rookie

Oct 8, 2021
    Hilton Head
    Full Name:
    Alan J. DeSa
  23. bradyorlando456MGTA

Mar 31, 2014
    Bluffton, SC
    Full Name:
    Brady Orlando
    #23 bradyorlando456MGTA, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    It looks like the 575M potentiometers are different from the 360 so the ones from sequparts won't work, I'm not sure if there is a generic part for the 575M ones, the OEM part number is 248095 and they come as a pair, it's the same part number as the F430s. Ricambi shows them in stock at the moment, it looks like eurospares will have them in stock shortly too.

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Just buy the Ferrari ones. $750 for two sensors is not really all that bad.

tbakowsky and Flyingbrick242 like this.
  25. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    You cannot buy part number 248095 any more. The Ferrari factory ran out a while back and I bought the last six sensor pairs from the Maserati factory when I found out. When I asked if the factory were intending to re-order another batch I was told no. I fulyl expected this part to go NLA.

I'm mindful that I will need to work out how to solve this supply issue - Lamborghini may have an equivalent part (as may Audi). However given the astonishing failure rate I suspect it'll need a third party manufacturer to step up. In the meantime many cars are going to be off the road...