Refinishing lower steering column cover, has anyone tackled this? | FerrariChat

Refinishing lower steering column cover, has anyone tackled this?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by FrancisK, Apr 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    In the process of getting my interior straightened out on my 2010 Cali, nothing crazy it's in pretty amazing shape for a 12 year old car but just the common things. Sticky buttons, a couple marks on the glovebox and center console cover....things like that.

One of them is the lower steering column cover, it's all marked up from people missing with the key....I'm sure myself included a couple times. This isn't exactly an expensive part but still it seems like such an easy fix to just fill in the marks with something and then spray it down, hard part would be finding a matching black that matches the upper but even still that shouldn't be too crazy.

Has anyone ever tackled this?

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    That is what we are here for. Chek out our website, we can handle all those sticky interior needs. www.stickynomore.com

3. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    Thank you sincerely but I was looking for input into doing it myself….

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Later cars like Calis, 612, 458, etc do not strip like the 348, 355, 550, 360 earlier cars. Much more difficult, just FYI...

Bill Phillips and FrancisK like this.
  5. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The gentleman at SNM is correct that the surfaces of the upper and lower steering column clamshells don’t strip or sand like you might expect them to. It’s not a hard plastic which could be sanded and sprayed, but rather a slightly softer material. Even if you rub on them too aggressively the outer coating will wear off revealing a slightly different color underneath. Like the other ‘sticky’ button surfaces, these pieces are very difficult to clean effectively without making them look worse than when you started.

6. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Gotchya thank you, yes I do see it is a soft finish on it. Luckily this isn’t exactly an expensive part, not by Ferrari standards anyway…

Bill Phillips likes this.