F355 Market | Page 366 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    F1 isn't my thing but black/black is always one of my preferred color combos.

ShineKen and jimmym like this.
  2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    carnutdallas likes this.
  3. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Great spec, but the thing that's really attractive here is the low idle. Sounds about 800-900 rpm rather than 1050. I would love to have a more normal idle speed than Ferrari's "hey look at me" hopped-up theater.

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Well there is a reason for that.

Because of the high rpm capability if you set up the drive ratios of the oil pump and alternator to maximize power. (as in, not overspinning the oil pump and pushing a ton of oil through the bypass, and keeping other accessories at minimum drive ratios there is less parasitic loss).

Even just the alternator, if you pullied it fast enough to charge at 800rpm it would likely overspeed/damage the rotor at 8700.

MAD828 likes this.
  5. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio

First off my post said “to me” so while your opinion is just fine there is no reason to throw stones at mine.

as for the market, everything luxury is taking a hit, whether we knew it was coming or not, I’m simply saying it will be interesting to see if it plays a roll in the classic exotic market like it’s going to play a huge role in the rest of the car market.

If you are well prepared for a massive dip then wonderful, congratulations, but that doesn’t mean everyone buying these cars is.

6. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    people have been preparing for the dip for years. with the current rate of inflation, I wonder how big it will actually be. time will tell. But this forum isn't for financial advice. buy your 355 as an investment, a track tool, a vanity project, a mid life crisis, for your instagram account. Buy it with credit, buy it with cash, trade an organ for it. Doesn't really matter. :)

tres55, jimmym, Mark HT and 1 other person like this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #9132 ShineKen, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
    Here’s one of those, “you learn something new everyday with these cars” post I’m about to make :).

If you pay close attention to the backside of this very early “1-piece undertray” setup, you’ll see all the pieces are clearly fiberglass. There are two small undertray pieces (under front bumper) missing from these pictures to complete the set, but they are fiberglass as well. They are made using a traditional hand wet lay-up process requiring only a female mold. Final part will have a rough texture on the backside.

I’ve had the entire “1-piece” undertray (including diffusers) setup pulled from my car (July 94) and repaired. All pieces are thin and flimsy. I didn’t think the 1-piece center weighed that much given it’s size, but I never weighed it out as it is too cumbersome to get an accurate weigh with such a large flimsy piece. I’ll have to get creative to weigh it.

I pulled the two small front bumper undertray pieces from my OCT 94 car (with a “2-piece” undertray setup) and noticed immediately it was a different type of fiberglass. You can see fiberglass hairs, but both front and backsides are smooth. My guess is this is when Ferrari switched to a more efficient mass production process called, “SMC,” which stands for “Sheet Molding Compound.” So the switched occurred when the new 2 piece designed was introduced. SMC requires much more costly investment in mold tooling, but geared for mass production.

SMC manufacturing process requires a female and male mold and parts are “stamped” out. It appears some plastic paste is mixed into it as well. This could be the reason it weighs more, although I haven’t removed my 2-piece center undertray to get a better understanding of the weight. However, oddly enough, the rear diffusers from my OCT 94 car is still traditional wet lay-up fiberglass.

https://careertrend.com/facts-7762808-smc-fiberglass.html

“SMC fiberglass mixture is sheathed on the bottom and top by polyethylene or nylon plastic to keep the mixture from automatically adhering to a surface. The SMC mixture is first spread evenly on the bottom sheath of polyethylene, at which point small chunks of fiberglass are mixed into the paste. The top layer of polyethylene is then placed on top of the product, which is rolled into various thicknesses.

Durability
    SMC is extremely durable, offering excellent chemical, thermal and physical characteristics. It can withstand extended periods of exposure to heat and corrosive environments and can be molded into many different shapes and sizes.”

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB and carnutdallas like this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    If you pay attention to the traditional fiberglass pieces, the product numbers are hand-written.

The SMC pieces have the numbers stamped in similarly as you would see a plastic injection molded part.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The fiberglass wheel liners are also made using SMC process.

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Tying this newfound information to the “355 market” thread, super early 95 cars (pre- SEPT 94 build dates) have some limited and very unique features. Almost “prototype” stage. It is equipped with a “lighter” full undertray. Lighter = faster. Faster = extra premium. Thank you for playing :).

11. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Was not throwing stones. My commentary is almost never personal and would not knowingly do that intentionally. Was commenting on the value pricing and Nero/Nero. I can see where you do not like that color combo, but from a market perspective it should be a non factor. A Verde car just broke the bank so to speak and that is an anomaly in my opinion, but may be showing a strengthening in values and a desire to take money out of the market and park it in a car that has a limited buyer pool.

As to others, we do take market advice from it - stock market / equities do play a role in the collector car arena. I would say that a lot of people have made a lot of money from those investments and now a lot of us have paid more for cars now than we would have in the past, especially reading this thread over the years. I doubt any of us would ask each other how to invest our money, but quite a few on here, I would heed their advice if they had some to share. Smart guys on here and we all have similar interest and goals if we can afford these cars - past, present or future.

Apologies if wrong or offended. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Andrews and jimmym like this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-ferrari-328-gtb-5/

Black on black on a 355 GTB/S is rare. The registry only shows 11 95 black/black GTB’s worldwide. However, I agree. It’s not the most beautiful color combination. A bit too monotone and Porsche-like. Don’t Porsche guys LOVE black on black?

There was one guy on FB looking only specifically for a black on black manual GTB/S. I don’t think he ever found it, although he was one of the high-bidders on the B/B GTS on BAT. IF black on black is your thing… Good luck finding one.

Personally, when I first searched specifically for a 95 Red/Black GTB, I searched for 3 years with no luck. Found a black on black 95 GTB and figured I was going to paint it red. Then i realized a black on black 355 is actually pretty rare. First world problems :)

carnutdallas likes this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I’ve been meaning to start a “Super Early 95 vs Early 95 355” thread as I discover differences between my two cars. Most of them are minor differences, but odd. For example, my front turn signal bulbs from my red car don’t fit in my nero car. Just dumb minor things like that.

My Nero car (July 94) came 99.9% stock minus a Tubi muffler. I could get this car Classiche’d and pass with flying colors if I cared to.

zstyle and 308 GTB like this.
  14. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    You forgot stress relief

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Matt Andrews and carnutdallas like this.
  15. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio
  16. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    very cool Ken. I actually wondered if the wet lay fiberglass diffusers on my car were reproductions. I guess I need to check closer and see what the rest of the pieces are. I assume they match...

17. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I always figured it was because of the
    I am skeptical....I thought maybe it was the cams, but I'm still skeptical. I think they put it at 1050 because it makes the car seem high-strung and aggressive. It's theater. I personally can't stand it. Always think I've got a vacuum leak or the weights in the distributor are hanging up! (Yes I know 355's don't have distributors)

18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I just removed the small portion (the part you remove for servicing) of the 2-piece center from my Rosso car (OCT 94) and that piece is definitely traditional fiberglass, not SMC. Doesn’t feel like it weighs much either, but the piece is not that big.

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Well let me know what you come up with :)

Denso alternator max rpm is 16,000. So, if the pulley ratio keeps it under max rpm at redline it's a 1.8 ratio.

8700 x 1.8 = 15,660.

Now look at idle speed and the performance curve of a Denso alternator.

1000 rpm x 1.8 = 1,800 rpm alternator speed, which equals 30.8 amps from a Denso.

Lower your idle to 800 keeping the same max rpm/pulley ratio.

800 x 1.8 = 1,440 alternator speed, which is close to not working at all.

Denso outputs zero amps at 1,364 rpm and below so 1,440 would be barely working, maybe a couple of amps but below 10.

Targatime, tres55 and carnutdallas like this.
  20. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ferrarium likes this.
  21. MRF40@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Planet Urf.
    Full Name:
    like whut? Ralph??
  22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    JAM1 and JSinNOLA like this.
  23. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio
    I was on it to $142k, I think it was still well bought for sure. To me it just needed too much to make it where I would want it, and the last minute vin plate being missing on the column was a little weird too. I'm sure it was nothing but still a little weird.

Oh well, on to the next one.

Congrats to the new owner!

24. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Seller certainly didn't present the car well enough to command higher prices. Too much info had to be pulled out.

25. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    I didn't read through all the BaT commentary; did Dan mention that in the comments?