Drop box gear nut removal | FerrariChat

Drop box gear nut removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PA PETE, May 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PA PETE

PA PETE Rookie

Oct 9, 2021
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Peter Bailis
    OK... starting a rear main seal replacement on my 1982 308 GTSi. I hope this is a stupid question. Is the lower drop box nut a standard twist thread (righty tighty, lefty loosey) or is it a reverse thread? Also... a while back I located a full chart of engine and transmission torque specs that I just can't seem to find anymore. Does anybody know where I can find these specs? Primarily looking for the specs for the drop box cover / lower gear nut / bell housing / clutch assembly / flywheel pressure plate. And maybe torque sequence if possible??? Thanks a million to all you wonderful Ferrari people out there. The previous owners mechanic mutilated the nut so I am not even going to attempt removal until I have the new nut from Superformance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    By looking at the photo of the existing nut, the damage occurred with a clockwise rotation due most likely to removal without the correct wrench. This might indicate that it is a left-hand thread. You can verify this when you receive the replacement nut.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Or the person who did this masterpiece also got confused about which way to turn it to remove it, and beat the hell out of it ;). IIRC, these ring nuts for the transfer gears are all normal RH thread. The ring nuts holding the gear stacks themselves onto the two transmission shaft have one RH thread and one LH thread so you have to be careful about those, but fairly sure that the two ring nuts in the transfer gear case are both RH thread.

Qavion likes this.
  4. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I agree with Steve, they are righty tighty.
    I have had several of the replacement ring nuts come in and be just a fraction too small on the size. I have had to chase one on the lathe with a thread cutter. others I have been able to use lapping compound to get them to fit. The thread pitch is correct but they will not be cut deep enough. Just check the fit before you wrench it on. If it does not screw on by hand, stop and fix it.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Hold it right there. Don't take it back to the monkey who worked on that car last.

All three nuts in that drop gear design are right handed thread, normal thread. Nothing special. The nut is $35 and the tool is $100. BUY the tool, don't try to make one from a socket.

Ring nut on clutch shaft, 200Nm
    Ring nut to main shaft of gearbox, 180Nm
    Pressure plate to flywheel, 25Nm
    Flywheel to crank shaft, 85Nm, buy new bolts
    Bell housing, M8 nuts 25 Nm, M10 nuts 55Nm

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The 308QV/328 WSM has the best set of torque specs I've come across.

7. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW stuff a rag into the gears when you remove the ring nut it will gently bind the gears and allow the nut to loosen.