Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa | Page 38 | FerrariChat

Beware of Cavallino 2022 changes and Canossa

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by garybobileff, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I disagree when it came to old school Ferrari owners. There was the occasional jerk, but most Ferrari owners are the friendliest, least judgmental about cars, car guys you'll ever meet. Can't say the same about Porsche people.

2. megamarco9

megamarco9 Karting

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    RESPECT to 'Texas Forever' for the Joni Mitchell reference.... (written while she visited Hawaii)

'They took all the trees
    Put em' in a tree Museum
    And they charged the people
    A Dollar and a half just to see em'

Times certainly have changed, as now it would cost $ thousands of dollars just to see em'.... (but they are most likely already gone)

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. megamarco9

megamarco9 Karting

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I would also like to add 'RESPECT' to Texas Forever for 56,064 posts...wow

of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I never said that anyone wasn’t friendly, just that Ferrari has always been geared towards an elite, wealthy audience. And, that’s doesn’t mean that someone who isn’t mechanically inclined can’t have tremendous passion and knowledge about the brand and cars. Just because someone is very wealthy and wears designer clothes, doesn’t mean they aren’t enthusiastic.

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Actually, I'm embarrassed by how many posts I have. I do have a life. I promise!

LVP488 and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But this Singer Island event will be exclusively for the very wealthy/designer clothes crowd. None of the old Ferrari hands I know are into a "lifestyle." They could care less.

Nembo1777 and Thomas S. like this.
  7. megamarco9

megamarco9 Karting

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    'always punt when the bases are loaded and you just pulled your goalie' tells me you have a great life, and a great sense of humor !!! If you feel bad about all of those post's please gift me 10,000 or so I don't always look like such a lightweight on FChat... lol

8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Does that include all-you-can-eat tortellini ? :p

Nembo1777, LVP488, bernieb and 2 others like this.
  9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Maybe I missed it, but I see no mention or any track-related portion of the event on the show's website. And with PBIR officially closed forever as of 4/24/22, I'm not sure where such a track day would be held.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don’t think you missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bryanp likes this.
  11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If you’re referring to the Fisher Island event, as far as I know there is no track event planned. The nearest track would be Homestead.

12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Why am I receiving email from [email protected] promoting RM Sotheby’s auctions which have no apparent association with a Cavallino event? I understand they have some sort of “partnership” (presumably in the marketing, not the legal, sense). That seems like an abuse of their e-mail list. I didn’t realize that my subscription to Cavallino meant, in effect, the use of my email address by third parties.

Lusso123, jm2 and Texas Forever like this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    please forward the email to me [email protected] and I will see what I can find. thanks!

14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Rob. On its way….

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    from what I can tell it is because you are on the Cavallino email list. have you received emails from Cavallino in the past? you probably have. it appears RM Sotheby's is an advertiser with Cavallino like they are at FerrariChat. It has been many years, but RM Sotheby's has paid in the past to hit our list too. We of course don't sell the list or give the emails to them, we just take their copy and send it within our secure system.

16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #941 Jack-the-lad, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
    As I said in my post, as a subscriber, I expect to get emails from Cavallino. But I don’t expect to get emails from Cavallino that promote their advertisers’ products or services. I subscribe to a lot of automotive enthusiast magazines. I don’t get these types of surrogate advertising messages from any of them.

I’m not going to unsubscribe over it, but it just feels like a work-around to avoid selling an email list. Plus, I already get lots of messages from RM Sotheby’s, as I’m sure many other Cavallino subscribers do.

17. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    This was a great thread to read. Almost as exciting as the AdamEllisDJ/TarmacTerrorist Saga

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It is just the business now. Everyone would do it if they had the chance, only reason you haven't seen it from some other lists is they haven't been able to sell it.

You aren't a member of the Ferrari Club of America? They send out emails every couple weeks for credit card offers, insurance, advisors, etc.

The smart thing is to have a separate list for Newsletters (which are full of advertising too) so that when people unsubscribe from the marketing stuff you can still keep them for the Newsletter.

At FerrariChat we limit to one advertising email a month, but we rarely sell more than 2-3 a year so it is pretty infrequent.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  19. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It’s kind of the European model, I guess. About half of the vintage/collectible car road tests I read in the British magazines are cars that are being flogged by dealers who advertise in the magazines. But I know that when I renew my subscription. I don’t mind because otherwise I wouldn’t have learned anything about the cars. It’s a different journalism standard. The downside is that it probably dilutes any legitimate criticism of the car.
    Anyway thanks for considering my complaint.

Llenroc, V12addict and rob lay like this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #945 Nembo1777, May 6, 2022
    Last edited: May 6, 2022
    Hi Jack,

Not sure what you mean by European model.

While some cars featured in articles are for sale such as the stunning 300S for sale by Gregor Fisken which Mick Walsh drove for a great Classic & Sports Car article most are not.
    FYI I have NEVER in thirty years of writing done an article when asked to because a car was for sale.

Editorial departments in many magazines are off limits to the commercial folks; advertising sales, marketing etc etc.
    I did notice when I drove the Sebring 12 Hours Thomas Crown affair 275 Nart Spyder for Octane that an ad for a slick dealer having sold another real Nart spyder in the past ended up placed right after my article. That however had nothing to do with the editorial department; just the dealer and sales folks coming up with the idea when they knew what the content would be.
    ALL my articles have been my ideas which I offered to editors and they accepted.

Never has there been any ethical compromise in any article I have written. I approved the final PDF of an article yesterday and the owner perhaps did not like a comment I made on one small aspect of the car but he is ethical too so did not think of objecting.

There are owners who would be impossible to deal with for journalists and editors because they would want to control the narrative; I recall a 206SP with one off body in the US. In 1995 at the FCA nationals in Ohio I spoke to its then owner about an article but his approach was so wrong it was revolting; he felt he owned the car so owned the history and the right to say anything he wanted about it. 1000% dead wrong, I walked away.

Many years ago one owner who had let me drive some major cars for research articles also owned a car associated to a famous lady. When I suggested doing an article about that he said yes...then said that I would no doubt highlight the fact that it is all a myth and told me he would rather I not do the article:) No problem.

Another historic Ferrari briefly interested me for an article but when I discovered that an article had in fact been done recently....and that a major accident early in the car's life was conveniently not mentioned I decided not to pursue that.

Anecdotally I was asked ONCE to do a fluff article for a Cavallino advertiser. John Barnes asked me to do an article about a rim manufacturer in Florida. I did it in depth with historical references
    but apparently they did not like it or understand the marketing benefit of it at all: they wanted a crude basic sales spiel....neeeever mind.

21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don’t recall ever seeing an advertised car used for editorial content in a U.S. magazine (except for current models of course) but I see it frequently in the major British magazines. Sometimes there’s a full page ad for the car a page or two after the article. I’m not calling ethics into question because there’s no attempt to hide the fact. There’s always an acknowledgement at the end of the article thanking XXX Classic Cars, etc., for the use of the car. Nor do I know that there’s any sort of quid pro quo…”If you buy an ad we’ll do a test of your car”….involved. So my comments weren’t intended to be critical, simply a recognition that journalistic customs can vary. I was attempting to make the connection with what Canossa/Cavallino was doing with the RM-promoting email I was complaining about.

Llenroc and Nembo1777 like this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you Jack. Re the advertising email yes that is borderline.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    From the photos I’ve seen, not what I was expecting.

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I dunno what you were expecting, but I was expecting to see some people. Place looked like you could shoot a gun without worrying about hitting someone. Maybe the people were there later?

Rossocorsa1 likes this.