Unreal swb250GT at the LaJolla concour (repeat unreal) | FerrariChat

Unreal swb250GT at the LaJolla concour (repeat unreal)

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by bitzman, Apr 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Great setting, first glad saw a swb250GT but then went to the dealer website and found it a replica The website says "With over half a million miles under their belt driving some of the most special Ferraris of all time, and over 200 years’ combined experience working on Ferraris, the team at GTO Engineering has created what they believe to be the ultimate interpretation of two legendary Sixties Ferraris. Welcome to the Revival series."
    Is it built upon a real Ferrari chassis or t least have a V12 engine. What do they sell for in the US and how do they sell it--maybe if they do it without an engine, it's like the Cobra kit cars which squeak by the regs as kit cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Manda racing likes this.
  2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There is a Replica forum and that's where this thread should be. In fact the GTO cars have their own threads.....

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Have GTO Engineering ever made a 250 GTO replica or replicas?

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  5. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Have one on order. Donor 250 GTE purchased and starting final spec. I am in the states and will get a complete car. Using the numbers matching running gear from donor plus all parts that make sense (ashtray, badges,etc). Not cheap but much less than an original and one I can really use on the road and track.

Chupee likes this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sad to destroy one more 250GT/E with matching numbers :( :( :(

jsa330 and LVP488 like this.
  7. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I hear you but It’s a mess….will post pics but massive rust and a non running engine and gear box. It was a big issue for me….only wanted a donor that was beyond to much $$ to restore. At least the drivetrain will get back on the road. Not messing with it and keeping 3L and 4 speed.

jsa330 likes this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may try ti find a GT/E with engine/gearbox, rearaxle with not matching numbers. I just sold one as a parts car. this you may use as a donor car but never when you have matching number parts. and even if rust or not. the work I think is much less to restore the GT/E than building up at SWB. you need other glasses all around, other rear lights, complete other body, and then later still only have a replica.
    think over again please if you like to do this.
    I just wanted to do the same with mine like you, but built a TR body. but this one who baught it will restore to original, even with not matching numbers.

9. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Please don't kill a matching numbers car.

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    If the car he has is so ravaged by rust it would not be fiscally possible to restore, or even physically possible, then that car is not viable. Why not use the parts for something else. After all, as nice as they are, they are still just cars, machines.

Perry

11. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Many here see them as more than just machines - they are historical artifacts which should be preserved whenever possible. GTO will make a new V12 and gearbox for those who wish to own a toolroom copy so no need to sacrifice an original.

jsa330 likes this.
  12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    … or even if non-matching number examples, especially for something like these.

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Millions(?) of far less rare or valuable cars have been saved by restoration and many or more likely most cases have not been fiscally viable endeavors and often not even deemed as such prior to starting.
    Just like in any other hobby, true enthusiasts do not usually expect theirs to make fiscal sense or provide some kind of financial benefit. They do it truly for the passion, be it restoring/saving vintage vehicles, gardening, golfing, hiking, sailing, etc.

Besides, every original Ferrari “sacrificed”(?) for these fakes makes them rarer, while creating more fakes, in turn, will depreciate all of such every time another one is being created/finished.
    How does that make fiscal sense ?
    Pay a $Mil to have one made (destroying yet another original car in the process), but few years later, when bored with it, sell it for a half of that. :confused:

turbo-joe likes this.
  14. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Totally agree Perry. That’s exactly what they do. Chassis and running gear go in my car and then they use all salvageable parts to restore better 250’s. This is GTO engineering not some chop shop….they will use everything possible in mine and others.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Disclaimer:
    I have rebuilt/restored cars deemed by others far beyond salvageable or at best, just parts cars, but I’ve also taken time to explain (in detail) to some clients that the project they want(ed) me to do will cost them multiple times what it could ever become valued by others or what the best example of identical car could be bought for.
    Most have said they don’t/didn’t care.
    OTOH, I’ve always had a habit of promptly declining jobs from (new) clients who expressed some concerns or expectations of financial upside from their commissions.

turbo-joe and RamsHmb like this.
  16. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Well, Thank goodness for money is no object restorations. If someone is in the position to outlay more than an item would be worth, that is their right. Same as using a car that is beyond reasonable hope to someone to be used in a recreation, and other parts used for restoring other models in need.

Perry

RamsHmb likes this.
  17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Doesn’t the fact that a company (allegedly) capable of reproducing tool room copies of every component or part, including chassis and running gear, is resorting to chop up original car(s) to make such copies essentially make them a “chop shop” ?

Besides, who determines whether the “sacrificial” car is beyond reasonable hope/restoration and how so or why ?
    Isn’t it all done mainly to circumvent taxes/fees and other regulatory hurdles ?

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I’d venture a guess that for far more than 90% of restored cars in this world, the cost of the restoration greatly exceeded of the subjects eventual (perceived) value and therefor using some of them, especially rare ones to begin with, merely for VIN donors is rather shortsighted and weak argument.
    And yes, I also believe that every owner has a right to do whatever they wish to for their property, but I don’t have to agree with or respect them for that decision .

19. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    The VIN is a fair point. If this car was one or many other models or had a racing history I would feel differently. It will be interesting to see if people are as upset in 10 to 20 years when people are resto moding 308’s. I am restoring one now personally and I am enjoying it. My logic is simple…love the swb and want to use and race it but spending 8 to 10m on a car and then thrashing it around the track is beyond my comfort. And I like the idea of preserving the running gear of a car that would (by two restorers) been a parts car. Fully get that no one has to agree….I tend to respect peoples decisions even if I don’t agree…outside of someone being harmed. I respect your view that this is not a good thing to do even though I disagree in this case. But to each his own. Also, GTO is only building a couple more SWB’s and then they are done. I am excited and plan to use it regularly.

Jack59 likes this.
  20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    maybe Classiche can take these neglected cars and restore them to perfection? sub it out to GTO engineering, put them on dealer showrooms. instead of being forced to buy a new 2022 Lusso to get the latest and greatest, the salesman can say,”may i show you our vintage collection”?

RamsHmb and John Vardanian like this.