2011 f458 engine turned off | FerrariChat

2011 f458 engine turned off

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Saugig, May 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Saugig

Saugig Rookie

May 5, 2022
    Turlock
    Full Name:
    Jo blo
    I first noticed a sound like water gurgling behind me in the engine compartment. A week later ac stopped working. One morning, turned on car. It turned off. Went to restart, it wanted to die. I started Again, reved to keep it on. It turned off and then I smelled like something burning. Like plastic or rubber.
    Anyone know what happened?

2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    your serpentine belt is rapped around itself would be my first thought. belt is rubber and cover over the p/s pump is plastic.

3. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    How old is your belt? Maintenance wise, it's a part of every Ferrari 2yr service....

4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That would be my guess as well. Now the question is "why"?
    I would probably start by checking and replacing the tensioner pulley. I would also check the arrow markings on the belt to make sure that it was installed in the proper rotating direction. If it was installed backwards, that would potentially cause it to prematurely fail.
    Proper direction is "clock-wise" when looking at the belt, facing towards the rear of the car.

5. Saugig

Saugig Rookie

May 5, 2022
    Turlock
    Full Name:
    Jo blo

6. Saugig

Saugig Rookie

May 5, 2022
    Turlock
    Full Name:
    Jo blo
    The ac went out on the car about 1 week before. You think that might be it?

Sargepug likes this.
  7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If the A/C compressor started to seize up, you can have the issues that you mentioned. Initially, I didn't catch that the A/C stopped working a week prior, so
    I'm pretty sure that it will be something related to the A/C, also causing the accessory belt to fail (or just slip, and probably get damaged). However, in order to know exactly what caused it, it would have to be looked at and diagnosed.

8. Saugig

Saugig Rookie

May 5, 2022
    Turlock
    Full Name:
    Jo blo
    Thanks up4speed. for the input! I’ll let you what we found next week.

up4speed likes this.